Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 06:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Include my income tax & I paid 61 lakhs to buy a Skoda Kodiaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post

So basically only 57% of the total amount was received by SKODA!

So basically, I paid almost 35lacs to the government to buy a 24lacs car? While some may argue that this is not the right way to look at it, there is no denying that this is it. It was my choice and I'm not complaining. But I do feel as a taxpayer, returns from our government when it comes to infrastructure needs a lot of improvement.

So why this post?
1) Of the 43lacs I paid, only 24lacs gets in Skoda's pocket, want to know from other members if they feel its fair?
2) help someone who is unaware that ex-showroom cost consists of 48% taxes already
Let me make you feel a bit better Though I don't know if it will indeed.

I live in Singapore. To buy personal vehicles in Singapore one has to pay something called COE (certificate of entitlement). This is valid for 10 years and has to be renewed after that. A fixed number of COEs are issued every month.

COE premiums for the smallest category cars were SGD 74K in June.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...100000-1930726

The cheapest car you can buy in Singapore costs around SGD 100K of which 74K is the COE

Having said that, buying a car in Singapore is not a necessity due to the extremely efficient public transport.

A developed country is not one where even the poor can buy a car, it is one where even the rich do not have one.

So while our taxes are high, and our anguish over that is justified. I believe we should demand for better public transportation instead of lowering the taxes on cars. My humble but expectedly unpopular opinion in a car forum
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 07:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

The cheapest car you can buy in Singapore costs around SGD 100K of which 74K is the COE

Having said that, buying a car in Singapore is not a necessity due to the extremely efficient public transport.

A developed country is not one where even the poor can buy a car, it is one where even the rich do not have one.

So while our taxes are high, and our anguish over that is justified. I believe we should demand for better public transportation instead of lowering the taxes on cars. My humble but expectedly unpopular opinion in a car forum
Understand your point about Singapore.

But Singapore is a city-state. It is spread over only 733 sq km, spanning over just 40 - 45 km East to West and 20 - 25 km North to South. And no mountains I guess. So the public transport needs to cover only a small area. The citizens need to travel over only a few km.

India spans around 3000 km North to South as well as East to West. Add to this, the mountains. It is just out of question to cover such vast area with public transport that is efficient and frequently available all the time. Though we don't need to travel 3000 km North to South, we commonly need to travel a few hundred km around our base. And for this, we are going to need our own means of transport.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 25th July 2022 at 07:08.
Old 25th July 2022, 07:13   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

I live in Singapore. To buy personal vehicles in Singapore one has to pay something called COE (certificate of entitlement). This is valid for 10 years and has to be renewed after that. A fixed number of COEs are issued every month.
While Singapore car pticing and taxes example is nice for the shock value, but it is more due to the geographical situation, as it is a very small country.

If you look at other taxes like the income tax and GST, they are so sweet quite often leas than 10% for a large majority.

In spite of this, the car scene in the Singapore is the sweetest. So many premium cars all around.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2022 at 08:07. Reason: pticing > pricing, cat > car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks