Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 19:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Tata doesn't seem to have it's priorities right. They are struggling with getting the basics right. Something as fundamental as panel gaps, fit and finish of the door beadings and not to forget the infotainment screen and digital cluster are all sources of complaint on the Harrier. Tata wants to go ahead and equip the same car with ADAS. This is just making an already complex, niggle prone car even more so.

Mahindra has been struggling with niggles on the XUV 700 for the past few months, and the reports on this forum with pertains to the same have been worrying to say the least. This, on a car that was equipped and tested with ADAS from the ground up itself.

Coming to the 1.5 petrol, I would again be very worried about its overall reliability. Tata has faced issues with pertains to the steering pump on the 2.0 MJD (funnily enough, it's one of the very few parts they engineered themselves).

Not to forget, this car has already been facelifted or shall I say reworked once only a year after launch. What we have here essentially is a Harrier V2, and it still isn't niggle free yet.

Last edited by vishy76 : 5th May 2022 at 19:02.
vishy76 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 19:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And ADAS
It fits well with your source's rumours about Tata sponsoring GNCAP testing for the Harrier in the near future, the GNCAP have said there will be extra rewards for crash avoidance in the new July protocols. They're yet to confirm what they are but I can only assume it will include at least automatic emergency braking (interurban, city and pedestrian).

The test laboratory the GNCAP uses (ADAC) will have new infrastructure for upcoming Euro NCAP car-to-motorcycle safety assist test scenarios next year (motorcycle suddenly braking ahead, detecting an overtaking motorcycle in the blind spot and braking for turning into a motorcycle's path). We'll have to wait and see if the GNCAP introduce those as extra rewards for India.

Quote:
driver assistance systems
The assisted driving part (adaptive cruise etc) is more convenience-related than safety-related, the problem is that manufacturers go to great lengths to oversell its capabilities with confusing marketing terms to make it appear more futuristic than it really is.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 20:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And ADAS, ... it's rubbish in India. Very, very limited use cases. Tesla has perhaps the best systems, but only for USA freeways. The systems would go berserk in India.
This situation and un-intended behaviour would likely be in city traffic - especially with the way we drive bumper to bumper. I have seen this work well on highways, with systems that are not even OE. The first ones I had seen were after-market fitments on VRL busses. I had asked the driver about it since I wasnt aware that they had this installed.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 21:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Indeed. I wonder what happened to that Hexa 4x4 XMA being driven around. Hexa could have gone close to Fortuner/Endeavour if it had the right drivetrain and a few extra goodies. But the opportunity is lost now. All hopes on Scorpio.
I don't really know why Tata gave up on the Hexa, a RWD/AWD 2nd gen Hexa with a 180hp Turbo Diesel and a 190-200hp Turbo Petrol with RWD (as standard) and AWD (in selected variants) would really take the fight to the Toyota Innova and KIA Carnival the latter of which I personally think is the best car under 40 lakh if you're looking for a people mover. I mean come on it's a 200hp 2.2L Turbo Diesel van how can you not like something like that?
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
We don't need ADAS! We need AWD! Get that right, Tata clowns!

They have the perfect platform for it (D8), they have the AWD parts lying around too. Why won't they do it?!
Why do you need AWD on a harrier? It's a highway mile muncher. It doesn’t have the suspension articulation or the ground clearance needed for proper off-road. Also how many people would put their leather upholstery and panoramic sunroof-equipped car through proper off-road stuff? Doesn’t make sense. The harrier has done multiple trips to the remotest corners of India without needing AWD.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2022 at 21:27. Reason: Typos
BlackMambaXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Tata should first sort the mechanicals. Just try back to back the clutch in Harrier & Jeep Compass Diesel (same engine under the hood). Operating the clutch on Harrier is like Leg workout in the gym (seriously I didn't find any difference). The Compass clutch is as light as a petrol sedan.
But they have done a better job on the automatic than the Jeep.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 13:39   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaXX View Post
Why do you meed AWD on a harrier. Its a highway mile muncher. It doesn’t have the suspension articulation or the ground clearance needed for proper off-road.
Well, it DOES make sense. XUV700 has AWD, Tucson has AWD, Compass has AWD. Why don't they add a model on top of the regular lineup? A person looking for mild off-roading will now turn to the uncomfortable Thar, the non-existent XUV700 supply, the sensitive Tucson or the overpriced Compass.

As I have mentioned in this thread itself, they've got 4x4/AWD already within reach thanks to the now binned Hexa XMA 4x4 and their entire LR/RR portfolio. Why not do it? Why not differentiate (rather, scale-up in this case)?
Also, using the Safari moniker without AWD? That's just blasphemy in my eyes.

Quote:
Also how many people would put their leather upholstery and panoramic sunroof equipped car through proper off-road stuff. DOES’NT make sense at. The harrier has done multiple trips to the remotest corners of India without needing awd.
I think it is better to ask the Endeavour/Fortuner/XUV500 owners about this. Also, please have a look at this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...sa-rescue.html (Harrier stuck | Google Maps terror | GoDigit RSA for rescue)
Not saying AWD would guarantee invincibility but could have helped, I guess (there are videos on youtube showing how XUV500 AWD and Hexa 4x4 have been able to slip and slide out of chocolate cake situations).

Going by your examples and use case G-Wagon, RR models and Landcruiser, all of these should just be FWD mall-crawlers with high ground clearance
vredesbyrd is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 16:31   #23
BHPian

In India ADAS is more of an annoyance than help. In my opinion Tata shouldn't waste time and money incorporating this, just because the Xuv700 has it. I just hate it when my beamer slams hard on the brakes every time a security guard gets too close to it while I'm parking.
manishk123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 18:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Is this the updated Harrier?

Quote:
2023 Tata Harrier facelift spied - 360 Degree Camera, Larger Touchscreen.
Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option-fb_img_1659791147563.jpg

Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option-fb_img_1659791150610.jpg

Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option-fb_img_1659791157401.jpg

Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option-fb_img_1659791165070.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th August 2022 at 18:40.
Venkatesh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 21:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

A 1.5 litre petrol in comparison to a 2.0 litre one on its competitors also looks bad in terms of marketing , leave aside performance. If they want to retain the characteristics of relaxed effortless cruising they must make it a 2.0 litre engine.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 00:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Source
I pray to the automotive Gods that third time's gonna be the charm with the Harrier and the Safari. They've been on the market for far too long to parade around with quality lapses and a lack of any official metric on safety. Larger screens, creature comforts, and connected features can only go so long to help their case as a fundamentally sound vehicle!
RoverX is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 12:59   #27
BHPian

I sincerely empathise with the prospects for this new Harrier.

1. A larger infotainment system with more features is simply more than enough to be strong deal breaker for Harrier/Safari. Remember the existing system is still too far from even good, with tons of issues even after 3.5 years of its launch in the market.

2. Again the safety rating is a must if at all Tata is serious about its flagships.

3. 1.5L petrol powertrain for such a big and heavy vehicle cannot bring the fun factor. We all know how Hector's petrol engine is performing.

4. While the current steering system and the clutch system (manual) is of poor quality and poorly calibrated, Tata has to again focus and address this if they are serious.

5. Fit and finish, ergonomic issues, also has to be addressed on war foot basis.

Finally, just some more feature upgrades and slight cosmetic changes are not going to change anything for Harrier/Safari when elephants (Reliability, quality, fit and finish, ergonomics, ASS experience) in the room are not addressed by Tata. Tata has to transform this half-baked product to a fully completed product. Let us see what Tata is up to?
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Finally! I own a 2019 Tata Harrier and a 360 degree camera on this car is a must.
Jattitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 14:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what stops Tata from doing to the Ingenium 2L engines (Diesel and Petrol) what they've done to the Discovery Sport with respect to Harrier.

Last edited by safari_lover : 7th August 2022 at 14:28.
safari_lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 15:05   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

While the 360 camera bit is promising, I'm pretty sure they will remove off road modes with this update because nobody hates off roading more than modern Tata.
vredesbyrd is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks