Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 16:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I wonder what stops Tata from doing to the Ingenium 2L engines (Diesel and Petrol) what they've done to the Discovery Sport with respect to Harrier.
You mean dumbing down an already unreliable engine?
Just look at the Jaguar forums to get an idea.
Its not as simple as modifying an aluminium chassis into steel.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I wonder what stops Tata from doing to the Ingenium 2L engines (Diesel and Petrol) what they've done to the Discovery Sport with respect to Harrier.
The ingenum diesel 2.0 liter costs about 9 lakhs per engine. Who will put it into a Safari? The oil change alone costs Rs. 27000, to be done every 13,000 kms.
apachelongbow is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:45   #33
BHPian

Good initiative from Tata. If they don't update their products regularly, then customers will look for other options, Ford knows it too well.

In my opinion, what it needs above all is better quality control. Ofcourse, I'm judging from that major harrier engine issue thread and a couple other posts regarding issues with QC, maybe the vast majority of Harriers don't have any QC issues, but for their flagship product range, they should iron out any such issues before they make it into the customers hands. No excuses there.

Apart from that, 360 degree cameras and electronic parking break would be great additions (as far as I know, between the two, only the safari gets the electronic brake). Bigger touchscreen is not necessarily something I'd worry about since the existing system is decently big, certainly felt more than enough for my usage (android Auto, media playback song info etc), when I test drove it. Maybe they can improve the software bugs, they're not nearly as widespread as in 2019 Harrier but I've still noticed the occasional freezes. About ADAS, I really don't see it working on our roads for another 10 or 15 years so as far as I'm concerned, right now it is nothing more than a gimmick. Maybe a basic system like adaptive cruise control would be better than an advanced implementation like in the XUV.

And last but not least, get it crash tested to reinforce the trust people have in the product, i know the company itself isn't maybe responsible for the test and the agency selects an example on its own, but if they can do something to speed it up, that would be brilliant.

Last edited by SaiSW : 8th August 2022 at 09:50.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:56   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I recently visited Tata and met the engineers in ERC (whom I know from the past), they confirmed to me that the updated harrier will come with the new infotainment system, 360 deg camera, basis ADAS (don't know how much useful it is on Indian road), petrol engine (specification not given), and some cosmetic changes.
satish.gawai is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:18   #35
BHPian

Having driven the existing Harrier recently, I've made a list of changes/updates/inclusions that needs to be made in the upcoming facelift:
1. GNCAP rating to silence all the doubts regarding safety.
2. Revised steering dynamics that is lighter at low speeds & weighs up progressively at higher speeds.
3. Larger touch screen infotainment system with an improved UI. The current system is no match for the systems offered by rival manufacturers.
3. The Harrier has some serious blind spots which makes it challenging to manoeuvre in tight spaces. The addition of a 360 degree camera will do wonders to make it more user friendly.
3. Better overall fit & finish (both interior & exterior).
4. In addition to the upcoming turbo petrol variant, Tata should seriously consider an electric variant of the Harrier. The Harrier's sturdy chassis & spacious interiors combined with a refined yet powerful EV drivetrain would make this a rather unique offering in the current EV market space.
Nair.V8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
While the 360 camera bit is promising, I'm pretty sure they will remove off road modes with this update because nobody hates off roading more than modern Tata.
The car doesn't even have AWD much less a proper 4x4 system, differential locks etc. The offroad modes are just a low cost gimmick to make the average owner feel better about buying a FWD suv and to pad the brochure. Now the average clueless buyers asking the salespeople about offroad performance will just have them point to the offroad modes and it creates this impression that it is capable.

Honestly, for the purposes of on-road use, this configuration is better because it will give both better mileage as well as performance while reducing costs which is what most Indian buyers want. The average 7 seater SUV buyer in India barely does any serious off-roading. They want a large vehicle with offroading/performance pedigree so they can brag about it. Look at the amount of people buying a 2 wheel drive fortuner over the 4x4, the ones who will stretch for a 2wd legender instead of the 4x4 normal variant and it becomes apparent that they just care more about the image it conveys rather than any serious offroad use.

I for one would really like a proper 4x4 as all my family's past vehicles have also been very capable 4x4s but I am sadly in the minority.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:39   #37

The rear tyre seems to have a disc brake as well.. Not sure if it ends up in the final release. Reason being, the disc brake is available in test mules around 2018 too. Fingers crossed.
itsaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 22:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
they confirmed to me that the updated harrier will come with the new infotainment system, 360 deg camera, basis ADAS
Thanks for the update! Did they mention if those same features would show up on the Safari petrol version coming up?
Old 8th August 2022, 23:49   #39
BHPian

I wonder when they'll launch this? This year-end? Or early 2023?
Old 9th August 2022, 08:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The ingenum diesel 2.0 liter costs about 9 lakhs per engine. Who will put it into a Safari? The oil change alone costs Rs. 27000, to be done every 13,000 kms.
Nine lakh rupees, is it the replacement cost to customer, or the OEM cost? If it is the replacemnt (spare) cost, the OEM cost is likely to be around 2.7~3 Lakh, inclusive of import duty. Throw in a healthy level of localization of bulk aggregates and the cost would come down further.
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 09:06   #41
BHPian

I hope they have taken cognizance of the poor ergonomics of the front seat, as anyone around 180 cms height faces a problem of his/her knees knocking against the lower portion of the dash. Safari also has the same problem. This aspect was also pointed out in an Autocar review when the Safari was launched in 2021. Hope TaMo takes required action.
Dibyendu Bose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Nine lakh rupees, is it the replacement cost to customer, or the OEM cost? If it is the replacemnt (spare) cost, the OEM cost is likely to be around 2.7~3 Lakh, inclusive of import duty. Throw in a healthy level of localization of bulk aggregates and the cost would come down further.
Looks kind of impossible. The ingenum is an all aluminum unit. Tata doesn't have any metallurgy expert in aluminum forging/casting. They couldn't even BS6 their 2.2 liter varicor and hence bought the fiat 2.0 liter diesel. I belive they wanted to use the ingenum engines initially, but the costs were prohibitive.
The 2.2 liter varicor was quoted as 3 lakh per unit in the Hexa.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 14:07   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yes. All new features will be cascaded to the Safari lineup as well once it will be ready to launch as a facelift.
Their first priority is harrier since TML is anticipating good numbers for harrier in the coming days (maybe the effect of XUV 700 bookings).
They are planning to launch an updated harrier this festive season, not sure though.
Old 9th August 2022, 14:28   #44
BHPian

I have twice test driven the Harrier and while the heart said Yes both times to making the booking, there were a few factors in the order logged below that the head ruled over.
1. Steering - Tata has to get this right. While there are people who prefer the hydraulic one, I believe this needs changing
2. 360 degree camera for a vehicle this size
3. AWD
4. A better infotainment system
5. An NCAP rating. I believe this is at least a 4-rated car now and hence only seeking affirmation with the testing. Hoping of course that with the facelift this improves.

Lastly I would hope the Harrier gets it's due and doesn't play second fiddle to the Safari or Nexon both of which got feature upgrades before the Harrier.

Will be in the market for a second car next year and would love the Harrier with these goodies.
Audik75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 14:41   #45
BHPian

I don't think that there is a better car in the market than Harrier within 25 lacs in India.
Just need a few suggested upgrades and strict Quality control.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks