Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2022, 18:07   #106
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Quote:
Any updates on what are the changes in the Nexon and how much is the increase in price?
Just compared the Jet variant with currently available Premium one on Tata motors website, wireless charging along with some colour changes is the only addition...
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 12:05   #107
BANNED

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
These teasers have a stamp of Gold edition all over them. I hope I am wrong and they give a facelift surprise.
To be frank, the only surprise Tata can give (if they want to stick to the 'SUV' moniker) is to offer an AWD option. Being a monocoque design, it would be too much to expect them to offer a proper 4WD, but an AWD version would certainly add to the street credibility.
Old 28th August 2022, 12:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
To be frank, the only surprise Tata can give (if they want to stick to the 'SUV' moniker) is to offer an AWD option. Being a monocoque design, it would be too much to expect them to offer a proper 4WD, but an AWD version would certainly add to the street credibility.
Also, if they can provide Altroz DCA gear box in Nexon.....
Old 31st August 2022, 10:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
The other major missing feature is Electronic Parking Brake with Auto Hold. It helps a lot to drive in stop and go bad traffic. This is something Safari has.
This is now added in the JET EDITION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
What the harrier actually needs :
Electronic Power steering
Electric Power Steering (EPS) vs Hydraulic Power Steering (HPS)
I too am following this topic keenly. Find some data below.
  • EPS - Scorpio N/ Hector / All small SUVS like Punch/ Nexon/ Kiger/ Creta/ Seltos/ Sonet/ All sedans like CITY / All small cars like i20/ Altroz/ Polo etc. All Luxury brands like X3/ GLC / X5/ GLE / XC60/ XC0/ Evoque/ F-Pace

• HPS - Fortuner/ Innova/ Jeep Meridian/ Scorpio Classic/ Safari / Harrier/ Thar/

Except ScorpioN and Hector all other mass market SUVs have HPS only. Is it because HPS is cheaper? People moving up from Honda city like me have bit of struggle adapting to the HPS in Harrier in test drives. The ScorpioN on the other hand felt almost car like because of that EPS. So is it going to be EPS in future for everyone? Any other technical reason why proven and reliable ones such as Fortuner / Innova have HPS? Any technical inputs guys? @GTO ?

Quote:
What the harrier actually needs :
Rear Disc Brakes
Electronic Parking Brake with auto hold
These two are now available in JET edition and will trickle down to all variants in due course. So except the EPS, harrier is all set for me. That one topic is what i am still not convinced. Might as well wait for the 2023 facelift and hope it comes with EPS.

Regards
Dev

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2022 at 21:22. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 19:21   #110
BHPian

The launch of the Jet Edition got me thinking, is the Harrier/Safari facelift delayed? Last I heard it was spotted in testing. Any sneak peaks on its status?
Old 31st August 2022, 20:08   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
These two are now available in JET edition and will trickle down to all variants in due course. So except the EPS, harrier is all set for me. That one topic is what i am still not convinced. Might as well wait for the 2023 facelift and hope it comes with EPS.

Regards
Dev
I just went to the Tata showroom in Noida Sector 5 and the Jet Edition wasn't there , however EPS is strongly needed in the Harrier . We drove the dark edition harrier and after that the Scorpio-N diesel automatic at the mahindra showroom nearby . Scorpio-N is much easier to drive though the ladder frame chassis is a bit on a roll compared to the monocoque harrier . We did end up putting up a booking for the JET edition harrier automatic .
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:15   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Electric Power Steering (EPS) vs Hydraulic Power Steering (HPS)
So except the EPS, harrier is all set for me. That one topic is what i am still not convinced. Might as well wait for the 2023 facelift and hope it comes with EPS.
I don't think there's any problem in providing Hydraulic Power Steering. But yes, HPS is poorly calibrated in the Harrier/Safari, more so in the Harrier as is evident from the Team-BHP Official Review & also experienced by Team-BHPians.

I'm quoting the Steering wheel review of Harrier from official review below:

Quote:
"Nervous steering at 100+ km/h…too light, too sensitive. Needs tuning.
The Harrier's hydraulic steering is poorly calibrated - we'll give it a 4 / 10 rating. Within the city, the steering is alright. At parking speeds, it is a little heavier than expected & requires effort. As you start driving though, we found the steering's weight to be perfect in the city (it's just right, not super light). Get out on the highway though and you'll find the stupid steering to be way too light & sensitive...so sensitive that it's outright dangerous at 110 - 120 km/h! The steering is simply too quick - at 110 km/h, even a small input from the driver results in a larger-than-expected direction change. This light + sensitive steering makes the Harrier's front end dangerously twitchy.

A layman won't be able to handle an emergency manouveur; Tata needs to fix this ASAP. All we can state for now is, maintain a firm hand on the steering and be gentle + slow with your inputs. The lousy steering actually made us back off on the Lonavla ghats that we're so familiar with. In terms of overall highway behaviour, the steering is the single negative point of the Harrier...and a major one at that."
This is something Tata should work on in their upcoming facelift.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st September 2022 at 05:45. Reason: Replaced text in bold within quotes.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 23:43   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
I don't think there's any problem in providing Hydraulic Power Steering. But yes, HPS is poorly calibrated in the Harrier/Safari, more so in the Harrier as is evident from the Team-BHP Official Review & also experienced by Team-BHPians.

I'm quoting the Steering wheel review of Harrier from official review below in bold:

[b]"Nervous steering at 100+ km/h…too light, too sensitive. Needs tuning.
You have quoted from the 2019 Harrier review. The following paragraph is from the 2020 Harrier Team Bhp review.
"The steering is no longer as sensitive or twitchy as it was in the '19 Harrier we drove. It's not what we would call dangerous anymore & most owners won't complain. That said, I have to state that it's still a level too sensitive at high speeds. Even a slight touch on the steering results in the car changing direction. Tata should dull the high-speed response even more. I wouldn't have a problem with such a steering in a hatchback or low-slung sedan, but in a large + tall + heavy SUV like this, it can make things unnerving at 120 km/h. Even so, the steering's behaviour is no deal breaker and I was taking the expressway curves a lot more confidently than the '19 media car. Will add that straight line stability is fantastic."

Last edited by damodar : 31st August 2022 at 23:47.
damodar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 00:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

From my time driving the 2022 safari and harrier models : The steering is okay at low speeds and for parking. But at high speeds, it doesn't weigh up like other cars do. It becomes overly light and any quick corrections lead to the car changing direction quite a lot. You would probably get used to this but it might lead to loss of control if you had to make any sudden manoeuvres unless you are extremely careful.

It doesn't have anything to do with EPS or HPS. I have driven plenty of heavier SUVs with HPS that didn't have this issue like the fortuner, landcruiser etc. EPS is the future though, purists might lament the lesser feedback a hydraulic unit provides but purists were also upset with the lesser feedback brought by the introduction of power steering and brakes. HPS could probably be retained for fun cars made for driving pleasure.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 00:38   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
You have quoted from the 2019 Harrier review. The following paragraph is from the 2020 Harrier Team Bhp review.
Thanks for sharing the official review observations for the 2020 Tata Harrier. My bad, I've no idea how I missed Harrier 2020s review!
That means, Tata has improved the steering calibration on Harriers manufactured from 2020 models which is great. Though, there's still a room & need for improvement considering the Hydraulic Power Steering technology(?).

Hoping that Tata does a perfect/near-perfect calibration in the upcoming facelift just like what we've observed in other HPS vehicles. Though, not a deal breaker anymore, but still, essential to have the one.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:57   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Somehow its asking too much from Tata to provide AWD in the Harrier and a few other necessities in the facelift. What would happen is that they will start providing explanations as to how the twins need changes to add AWD hardware in them . How come Mahindra is providing AWD or full 4 by 4 capabilities in their new cars and Tata can't despite being asked a 1000 times.
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 12:02   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Somehow its asking too much from Tata to provide AWD in the Harrier and a few other necessities in the facelift. What would happen is that they will start providing explanations as to how the twins need changes to add AWD hardware in them . How come Mahindra is providing AWD or full 4 by 4 capabilities in their new cars and Tata can't despite being asked a 1000 times.
It may not be my place to talk about matters outside my ken (I'm not from the auto industry, but yes, I've been a hands-on engineer most of my working life, though retired now) but one can't help feeling that Tata seems to have lost the plot after Pratap Bose quit to join Mahindra. One's loss is another's gain, one might say!
Old 1st September 2022, 12:55   #118
BHPian

Special editions have been successful for Tata Motors and will continue in future.
Dark editions have been most successful.

Here's official statement from Tata Motors.

Quote:
From an overall passenger vehicles range perspective, we have witnessed contribution of 15% and upwards depending on models they have been introduced in..
Quote:
These interventions certainly contribute a lot from a business perspective but more importantly from a brand perspective in terms of innovation and creating excitement in the market. We will continue to introduce new interventions..
Quote:
Tata Motors' most successful range of editions has been the Dark editions till date. For Harrier & Safari dark edition models, sales account for 45%-50% of its overall volumes..
ET Auto

Last edited by S.MJet : 1st September 2022 at 12:56.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:33   #119
BHPian

Well, at least we are getting a couple of features along with these editions. Hope these features end up in the non edition variants.

Of course, the variant line up will remain cluttered, especially for Nexon.
Old 29th September 2022, 15:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

Tata Harrier facelift spied testing

Name:  1071663562new_water_mark_zigwheel_01_720x540.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  200827906new_water_mark_zigwheel_720x540.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  110.5 KB

Quote:
Gets redesigned grille, reworked headlights and bumper.

Radar system hints towards the presence of ADAS.

Likely to get new equipment like a larger infotainment system, a 360-degree camera, an updated instrument cluster and more.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th September 2022 at 15:03.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed