Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 10:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

It's been two years since the Harrier received its first update. Now, the SUV is due for a mid-life refresh and if the latest reports are true, it could receive significant updates this time around.

Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option-2020tataharrierfacelift20.jpg

Tata is said to be working on the Harrier facelift under the codename 'Q5MCE'. Rumours suggest that the SUV will get a redesigned front fascia featuring a new radiator grille and reworked headlamp clusters. We can also expect a few changes to the rear of the car along with a new set of alloy wheels.

Inside, the Harrier is expected to get an updated infotainment system with a larger touchscreen, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, ventilated seats and an air purifier. However, the focus will be on safety as the SUV is rumoured to get an Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) and a 360-degree camera.

Tata will continue to offer the FCA-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine in the Harrier. Besides the oil burner, a new petrol engine is rumoured to join the engine line-up. It is said to be a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol block producing around 150 BHP. It could be offered with manual and automatic transmission options.

Reports suggest that the Harrier facelift is likely to debut in early 2023.

Source: MotorOctane

Link to Team-BHP News

Mod Note: Our Tata Harrier Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Omkar : 14th October 2023 at 12:11.
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 10:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It is said to be a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol block producing around 150 BHP.
This 150 bhp petrol engine has been talked about for quite some time, when 150bhp was considered great. Thought Tata was ditching the petrol option in favor of an electric version. Not sure whether the petrol will be powerful enough for the heavy (1650 kg+) Harrier.

It may be adequate, but the world has changed (along with customer expectations) since the launch of the XUV700 and its ~200 BHP petrol engine.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 5th May 2022 at 10:56.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:17   #3
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier mid-life facelift in the works; could get ADAS & Petrol engine option

I have booked XZA+ DT and expecting the delivery by the second week of June. Though id like to have the 360 degree camera, I think ill just stick to my booking given most of the updates are electronic. Also, these updates could come at a significant premium.
tracerspiff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:22   #4
BHPian

It has been 3 years since Tata launched Harrier and we still get a lot of complaints regarding the electronics and mechanical issues in the car. Not to forget some assembly line issues as well as Tata's incompetency in resolving those issues.

Adding ADAS could only make things worse. It will make the car more advanced electrically and will add more things that could go wrong in the Harrier twins. What if Harrier's ADAS that was supposed to keep you 'SAFE' fails and starts behaving weirdly?

That being said, I will be happy to be proven wrong. Please Tata, come out with a sorted product and don't use your customers as your Beta Testers.
abhi9044 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:22   #5
BHPian

Wish the changes to the rear include a 4x4 or even an AWD system. Will be happy to pay a premium for this instead of ADAS, more expensive infotainment system, sunroof etc.
Vtach is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

We don't need ADAS! We need AWD! Get that right, Tata clowns!

They have the perfect platform for it (D8), they have the AWD parts lying around too. Why won't they do it?!
vredesbyrd is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Source: MotorOctane
While Tata might be working on a Harrier Safari update, I'd definitely not trust any Motoroctane article! Those are among the least trustworthy media agencies!
theAutomaniac is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 12:43   #8
BHPian

A more affordable petrol engine on the much loved Harrier is long due now. They should launch it soon as this will enhance the SUV portfolio for Tata in a better way. Punch, Nexon, Harrier and Safari in all make them a strong contender to be #2 soon.

As per the current strategy they clearly are focusing on EVs which seems to be the right move considering the current fuel prices and overall maturity of the EV space will take 4-5 years.
Old 5th May 2022, 12:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love seeing Tata Motors doing well, an all new Tata engine could be a gamble when launched. Maybe a long'er' warranty period could reassure prospective buyers. This 1.5 engine will also be the first time Tata is experimenting with Gasoline direct injection as per earlier rumours.
Old 5th May 2022, 15:26   #10
BHPian

I don’t understand why do manufacturers think engine is the least important part of a car. No matter how many features a car carries engine is still the most important part of the car. First MG and Jeep with those 1.4 turbo petrols and now this with 1.5. Fir me the very first thing while considering a car is size of the engine. These small engines make the car unattractive to me. I have always driven medium to big petrol engine and have never been the fan of downsizing. I bought Ecosport sometime back over Nexon just because of the 1.5 engine. Though I always thought Nexon would have been better since Ford is out of market. A friend bought Nexon recently and one drive confirmed that I made the right decision. The way a big engine handles power delivery is so so different. The 1.5 dragon of Ecosport is so relaxed while the 1.2 in Nexon is always in a hurry to deliver the power. No offence to the owners. It’s a great car. But just can’t digest how the leaders of these companies don’t understand this.
nik0502 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 16:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I don’t understand why do manufacturers think engine is the least important part of a car. No matter how many features a car carries engine is still the most important part of the car. .
+500 to that - I have a Marazzo and inspite of its turbo credentials, it struggles on full load esp on ghats. The daily drive isn't that enjoyable either - so always driven by the driver! Coincidentally, the Marrazo was a replacement for the ecosport tdci that had done about a lakh kms and boy the engine was as a cracker till the last day! Absolutely effortless and never felt out of breath in any driving condition.

So am with you on this - the harrier with all its bling but with a 1.5ltr petrol engine is likely to be a pretty terrible everyday drive. But maybe Tata has a trick up it's sleeve.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 16:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
We don't need ADAS! We need AWD! Get that right, Tata clowns!

They have the perfect platform for it (D8), they have the AWD parts lying around too. Why won't they do it?!
This is what I've been saying ever since they launched the Harrier and the Safari. Sure you can justify sticking with FWD on cars like the Nexon and Punch but what you cannot ignore is that Tata needs AWD and more powerful engines (170-180hp at the very least) if they want to compete with the Mahindra, KIA and Hyundai.

KIA and Hyundai have brand power and the Korean twins have essentially transformed into the "Maruti of the 15-25 lakh segment", ask a regular person to name a good SUV for about 20 lakh and more often then not the answer is either Seltos or Creta and Mahindra has hit it out of the park with the XUV700, especially their engines with the 2.2 Diesel and 2.0 Petrol making 180hp and 200hp respectively.

P.S.: Nice profile picture

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 5th May 2022 at 16:55.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:03   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
This is what I've been saying ever since they launched the Harrier and the Safari.
Indeed. I wonder what happened to that Hexa 4x4 XMA being driven around. Hexa could have gone close to Fortuner/Endeavour if it had the right drivetrain and a few extra goodies. But the opportunity is lost now. All hopes on Scorpio.

Quote:
P.S.: Nice profile picture
Thanks!
OT: Unfortunately, CoverCorp has terminated Rushia-chan's contract due to a baseless backlash by Hololive JP fans. You can still find her at her personal channel though (Mikeneko Ch)
vredesbyrd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 18:43   #14
BHPian

Tata should first sort the mechanicals. Just try back to back the clutch in Harrier & Jeep Compass Diesel (same engine under the hood). Operating the clutch on Harrier is like Leg workout in the gym (seriously I didn't find any difference). The Compass clutch is as light as a petrol sedan.
amit1agrawal is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 18:44   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not excited about either news. A 1.5L petrol - even with a big turbo - will be overworked in a 1700 - 1800 kilo car. And ADAS, well, I've experienced driver assistance systems from the best manufacturers in the world (including Mercedes, Audi & Tesla) and can tell you, it's rubbish in India. Very, very limited use cases. Tesla has perhaps the best systems, but only for USA freeways. The systems would go berserk in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rushlane's link is pointing back to Motoroctane, which is the original link.
You just condor'ed Condor on a news article

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2022 at 18:46.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks