Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 09:31   #16
BHPian

Re: New lifetime road tax slabs being introduced in Telangana

At a glance it looked like 'Life Tax increased'. At this rate we are not far away from paying taxes for just breathing.
I see a business potential from this. "Mr. Siddarth we at Breathless pvt ltd offer products that reduce your oxygen bill upto 30%"
On a side note, does anyone know how to approach Shark tank India? This might actually get funded.

Last edited by Siddarth_Ramani : 11th May 2022 at 09:33. Reason: Typo
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 2nd car having 2% will be a nightmare since that would mean anyone selling the first car has to ensure the transfer is done before buying a new car to save that 2% and we all know the process and time needed for RTO to update ownership transfer.
This rule is already in place for many years now, and it is applicable even if you have a 2-wheeler registered in your name already, and not just a car.

In 2013, I had to pay 2% additional road tax when I bought my Vento, as I already had my Honda Unicorn registered in my name. This rule is plain ridiculous.
anshu1101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:54   #18
BHPian

If one buys the XUV700 AX7 in Himachal, it will cost ₹23.2 lakhs on road price. But if the same is bought in Bangalore or Hyderabad, it will cost ₹26.5 lakhs.

That's a whopping difference of ₹3.3 lakhs. That's just stupid.

Telangana government is continuously raising taxes on both property purchase and motor vehicles. Its like they are adamant on squeezing as much money as possible from the middle class just because they can earn.

One nation one tax will always remain a dream unless a single government is not there in center as well as state. Let the tax be max at 18%. But it shouldn't differ from state to state. Same should be the case of taxes on fuel as well.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 11th May 2022 at 10:55.
souvikjana83 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Desparate effort from Telangana government to make money before disruptive changes are introduced in the MV Act due to technological advancements.
Soon gps enabled toll tax will be introduced.
On similar lines, road tax should also be calculated on the actual distance covered by a car on state roads.
In the present system a car covering 2 lakh kms in 5 years is taxed similarly as another car that travels just 20k kms in 5 years.
Moreover, these slabs push people to find ways to reduce the tax burden. It will be easier for one to change ownership of a previously owned vehicle and get this new vehicle at 12% slab and later transfer the ownership back, as there is no taxation if the ownership is changed. The taxes are applicable only for first purchase.
The taxation is on vehicle ownership, if I own a motorcycle, I will pay 2% more tax if I buy a car. Sorry, I will either get the car in my family member's name, or will transfer the motorcycle's ownership before buying a vehicle in my name.
Talking of technological advancements, if my car is fitted with a GPS device that measures my speed, it will be so easy to challan me for doing an occasional 50 in a 40 km/h speed limit zone. Yes, in Hyderabad people are fined for going above 40 on many roads, I was fined too, believe me, I was still doing 48 to 50 on that road as it is nearly impossible to drive at less than 40 km/h. Two three challans of this sort and I will face driving license cancellation.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:10   #20
BHPian

I narrowly missed the hike in taxes. I was hearing about these hikes coming in and tried to get the car before the hikes which worked luckily.

These taxes are getting out of hand! I wish the facilities available for us will be on par to the taxes being paid, one can only dream!
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:19   #21
BHPian

The tax on tax is insane. Road tax on GST component of the car’s ex-showroom price makes no sense. I can understand why some people say taxation is theft.

If the taxes keep increasing, won’t this eventually curtail the growth potential of the auto industry? People will just stop or decrease their spending on cars.
pavanmadhini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
And another masterstroke by the government (sarcasm) pushing me towards motorcycles and used cars, with governments pushing high taxes on both cars and the fuel most of them need to run on I feel like it's best to invest my money into motorcycles (if I'm looking for speed) and keeping an old Baleno/Esteem swapped Zen as a project car.
Not even a motorcycle, one has to switch to a Bicycle instead, considering the ever-increasing fule hike and now road-tax hike. Will save on money as well as will be good for health.

But do we have good dedicated sidewalks/tracks to run bicycles from different parts of Hyderabad city to THE downtown (HitechCity & Gachibowli)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
If one buys the XUV700 AX7 in Himachal, it will cost ₹23.2 lakhs on road price. But if the same is bought in Bangalore or Hyderabad, it will cost ₹26.5 lakhs.
Not only in HP but in Uttarakhand road tax is just 6% and 8% for 10 Lac and >=20 Lac respectively.

Don't understand why our govt is hellbent on sucking people's money in one way and cursing the NPA/Center govt for petrol price hike at the same time !!!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th May 2022 at 15:47. Reason: Please use the Edit / Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
manub22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 13:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
If the taxes keep increasing, won’t this eventually curtail the growth potential of the auto industry? People will just stop or decrease their spending on cars.
Not really, because Govt know "Shauk badi cheez hai".. A person who has decided to buy a ₹20 lakhs vehicle will not change their decision in paying the additional ₹60-80k.

People may negotiate at dealer level to reduce the price as much as possible. But for popular models like XUV700 or Creta or Seltos even that won't be possible at all.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post

Why do you think vehicle sales India has flatlined for the past 5 to 10 years? Anecdotally you can say person buying 20L car is not going to bother with another 80k but empirically that has proven to be false when it comes to purchases which are not essential.

Only in case of essential goods like petrol or food do tax increases have negligible impact on sales. That's also the reason why all major countries tax petrol.

In the case of discretionary purchases like vehicles it has been proven that every 1% increase in tax has a much bigger impact on sales. Govt will make more money through taxes but at the impact of reduced auto sales revenue.

If you want to read more about the research behind this, Google "Ramsey law of taxation".

I also wrote a Twitter thread on this sometime ago.link
shyampsunder is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 15:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamship View Post
It still doesn't touch Karnataka, as it has additional 11% cess on the road tax paid, which makes effective tax for 10 L - 20 L as 18.5 %
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu1101 View Post
This rule is already in place for many years now, and it is applicable even if you have a 2-wheeler registered in your name already, and not just a car.

In 2013, I had to pay 2% additional road tax when I bought my Vento, as I already had my Honda Unicorn registered in my name. This rule is plain ridiculous.
I also had a 2-wheeler registered on my name when I bought my car but I only paid 14% road tax (>10 lakh category) and nothing extra. Are you sure 2-wheeler are counted as 1st vehicle because it did not count for me.
Old 11th May 2022, 15:50   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

We are hell bent on giving everyone a “Feel bad factor” experience. Frankly feel the governments - state and centre are completely out of ideas in trying out anything sustainable and sensible income, only tax more.
But ask them about not using cars for official and personal purposes, they will use the law against you. Not very long ago Telangana govt procured high end Innova Crystas for its IAS officers, in addition to the hundreds of Toyota Fortuners with all fancy number plates. For everything the tax payer is paying.
It sickens me when I am driving and some “flag” car goes past.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 15:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
In the case of discretionary purchases like vehicles it has been proven that every 1% increase in tax has a much bigger impact on sales. Govt will make more money through taxes but at the impact of reduced auto sales revenue.

If you want to read more about the research behind this, Google "Ramsey law of taxation".
IMHO this will be true in case of sale of small/medium cars since there are budget constraints associated with these purchases.

However when people are able to afford cars with on road price > ₹15 lakhs, the equation changed tremendously and an increase of 2-3% is not going to change people from going ahead with their purchase. For people from middle class, there will be car loans associated with the same and that means it will be an EMI increase of few hundreds. And for people from the rich/elite upper class, it doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 11th May 2022 at 16:12.
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 16:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO this will be true in case of sale of small/medium cars since there are budget constraints associated with these purchases.

However when people are able to afford cars with on road price > ₹15 lakhs, the equation changed tremendously and an increase of 2-3% is not going to change people from going ahead with their purchase. For people from middle class, there will be car loans associated with the same and that means it will be an EMI increase of few hundreds. And for people from the rich/elite upper class, it doesn't matter anyway.
Partially agree with you. The only place where I disagree is that cut off of Rs 15 lakhs, many people buying at these prices are seriously stretching their budget from 10L to move to the next segment. This is why manufacturers set the base model price at low levels to invite these people to upgrade.

I would say 50L+ is the range where a 2%-3% is not going to matter because people buying cars at that level are spending a small fraction of their net worth to buy a car. We can actually see this effect at play by looking at how luxury automakers and even Toyota gets to keep increasing prices without any impact on their yearly sales.
shyampsunder is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 19:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Not really, because Govt know "Shauk badi cheez hai".. A person who has decided to buy a ₹20 lakhs vehicle will not change their decision in paying the additional ₹60-80k.

People may negotiate at dealer level to reduce the price as much as possible. But for popular models like XUV700 or Creta or Seltos even that won't be possible at all.
My point was slightly different - it curtails the growth potential of the industry. This kind of taxation will severely limit the growth of first time car buyers. I wonder how many more cars would have been bought had the taxes been more reasonable. That would have also had some more positive downstream impact for the economy.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 21:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Politicians and babus think of extorting money in the form of taxes. Most of these people don't have a vision or a plan on how to move the state's economy. Post covid they think by increasing taxes and tolls they can feed their government.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2022 at 05:15.

Most Viewed