Team-BHP - My car and my service centre
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   My car and my service centre (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/25163-my-car-my-service-centre-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 468834)
@ gkrishn. Personal relationship is a must.

I agree with you 100% and that is the best way to get a good service from your service station. In my case most of the mechanics in the service station go overboard in servicing my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 469080)
I agree with you 100% and that is the best way to get a good service from your service station. In my case most of the mechanics in the service station go overboard in servicing my car.

Sometimes that can be more harmful.:)

Quote:

I agree with you 100% and that is the best way to get a good service from your service station.

When you are in service industry, they say that customer is the king. When you go to a service center, they say you need good PR skills. Am i missing some thing here??

Does a lack of PR skills means, one will never be able to get a good service? So then what is great about sundaram? Even Garuda would have given excellent service to rudra.

The PR skills should hold true when dealing with a road side mechanic. Not for a highly standardized/organized Sundaram.

i have to totally agree, its the way you deal with them. give them respect and treat them well, ensure that they also know that you are serious about your business of approaching them and well aware of what a car is all about (mechanically atleast).

again highlighting what sam said, yes sometime you NEED to spend and when one compromise on this trouble starts.

the infamous metro ford once tried to take me on a ride (i had posted the coughing problem) but one meeting face to face and some very assertive discussion later their whole approach changed and i was very satisfied at the end of the day.

@rudra: some cars do have character, they wont let the owner down in the middle of the road, no matter what ;)

It all basically boils down to a few things:

1. The quality of work at the service centre and the trust developed.
2. The personal relationship you develop over a period of time.

I had a very very bad experience at one of the TASCs here in Delhi that ruined my Safari. In 2004 it went to A-one motors for a major check up that included suspension, low pick up and stiff steering. It came back after 4 days with a tag of Rs.65K.

Within a fortnight it developed the following:

Safari had started emitting black smoke while earlier it was smokeless.
Creaking noises cropped up from suspension. And finally the power steering packed up. The service centre guys came and towed away the truck and by evening reported that the power steering pump had seized up and would cost 40K for replacement. The FP needed to be serviced and recalibrated; The tag 3K. and they would keep the truck for 2 days to reopen the suspension to check.

I refused. Went and got my safari back - don't ask me how I drove without the power steering. In 2 hrs flat I developed better shoulder muscles than that of Stallone..!!

I found a local garage in Gurgaon about who I had heard froma quite a few people. The power steering pump packed up coz it ran dry. The morons at TASC never bothered to check it out. In suspension they had changed only one side bush and the shockers had packed up. They charged me in the bill for complete suspension but never changed the shocks. The FP was alright initially but when they had tried recalbrating at their end, they ruined up. They should have sent the FP to Lucas which they never did.

At the local garage the total cost was 10K excluding the cost of new shocks and till date except for regular service at 5K no major work has been done on the Safari. And I get a FE of 9.5 in city and 11.5 to 12 on highways with ful AC.

Since then I've vowed never to go to ASCs. Even for my Scorpio I visit my local guy..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 469118)
@rudra: some cars do have character, they wont let the owner down in the middle of the road, no matter what ;)

I agree, cars only shows character when their owner(s) takes special care for it...

Nice writeup Rudra Sir...

Abhi

Nice point made. My experience with a GM service centre is something similar here down south.

Relationship do make a difference & with TVS for Scorpio, that is the only thing which is working.

Superb and to-the-point review, Rudra. I am glad that the problem was solved within a matter of hours. I agree with the service comments made above; I run a service organisation and the clients who get the best service are the ones who have the maximum attention to detail. And maintain a good relationship with my counselors.

I have taken a spin in Rudra's Optra once and was deeply impressed with the high standard of upkeep. I mean...the wheel spokes were clean. Yup, each one of 'em multiple spokes was squeaky clean. The only other Indian car that has left a similar impression is Sams immaculately maintained red Lancer.

Quote:

A clean car runs better. Costs less in terms of maintenance.
Also a very important intangible benefit : FEEL GOOD factor. Considering how we love our cars, this ranks the highest on my list.

Nice thread Rudra and I heartily agree with your viewpoint - a lot of the service we receive is bacuse of our relationship with the service center. I've been so satisfied with my Ford workshop ever since March 2001 - I have a very good relationship with both the supervisor & the advisor, have never had issues regarding my services. Not all users of the dealership may agree but I do think that's primarily because of the relationship you develop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekSrik (Post 468879)
hey rudra

i wonder why i did not read this post earlier.

Errr, probably because he only started the thread yesterday:p ????

@ Rudra - Thanks.

Cleared some of my doubts on whether to go for Garuda or Sundaram for getting my humble ride.

I do hope that we too get the same levels of service you get.

@ EMD - Are you reading this?

Nimz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 468833)
I have run an electronics service centre, and I know what it is when you get something that belongs to a fussy customer.

Every technician says "Woh paagal ka TV aaya" with a smile. And then gives it extra attention.

Fussy is the word here. We’re all fussy about our car or so I feel. Otherwise, why are we here?
Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishn (Post 469116)
Does a lack of PR skills means, one will never be able to get a good service? So then what is great about sundaram? Even Garuda would have given excellent service to rudra.

No. As long as you’re clear as what you want and tell service centre clearly about your expectation.
Yes, It works like magic. At least in my case when I have very little knowledge about cars.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 469388)
I run a service organisation and the clients who get the best service are the ones who have the maximum attention to detail. And maintain a good relationship with my counselors.

Guru, here you’re. It’s no different anywhere in service industry.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 469388)
Also a very important intangible benefit : FEEL GOOD factor. Considering how we love our cars, this ranks the highest on my list.

Isn’t it good enough reason to demand the best from service centre?

Trust Rudra to put it across beautifully.

Sundaram Motors, mid 2000. Was looking around for a hatch and the Uno was on my mind. Damaged a car, but they didnt say a word. It was an accident ... Wonder if any other dealership would have treated a prospective customer that way. Prospective - since there was no guarantee if I would buy one from them. Felt so bad.

Did go back couple of years ago to check out the Palio. Ended up not taking one this time too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 469817)
Did go back couple of years ago ..

You should revisit the place now. From what I hear, its overflowing with highly desirable materialistic entities such as cars these days.

Quote:

At 18200km, I bought rear view mirror with indicator light casing. They charged me 2231/- for a set. No labour charge for fitting.
Was it 2231/- plus tax for the set or a total of 2231/-? Cos Ramesh told me it may cost something like 3500/- approx.

I too have experienced good service from Sundaram, manjunath who was mgr sales was a friend and Ramesh stays close to my place and he personally picks and drops off my car for service.

I too believe in the fact hat a well kept car serves you well.

Quote:

Add me to the list. My personal rapport with CARS INDIA, Chennai has ensured me the best service and attention for my esteem all the time. :)