Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 17:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Some observations on the Creta: It is still in the top 5-6 selling cars nearly 2 years after its launch. Even this year, the most significant MoM gain is for the Creta -20 % on a higher volume base (10000 odd). The way I see it is that its price/segment positioning is a major factor. It offers as much mental comfort to a prospective owner in the say, 14-20 lac bracket as a Wagon R offers in the 5-7 lac bracket. Even its cousin Seltos does not seem to offer that yet, which I attribute additionally to the Hyundai badge over the "Kia" badge. And whats more, there are people who are keenly awaiting the third iteration of the Creta.
Other than that- I think WRV and Jazz got a bit of an upshot post the GNCAP test results.
Whereas the MG Astor is not even creating the same buzz as the Taigun-Kushaq combine. Interesting, given that there were some predictions of MG outpacing a lot of other OEMs with their initial success.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 10th May 2022 at 17:15.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 17:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle retail sales increase by 37% in April 2022

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle retail sales increased by 37% in April 2022, compared to the same month last year.

April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Overall sales for the month of April 2022 stood at 16,27,975 units, compared to 11,87,771 units in April 2021. However, compared to April 2020, when only 3,77,232 units were sold, total vehicle retails have risen by 331.56%.

April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

The months of April 2020 and April 2021 were affected by the first and second waves of Covid-19 infections in the country and witnessed little to no business.

April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

With the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war and China under lockdown, the global Auto Industry continues to witness a supply crunch as semi-conductor shortage along with high metal prices and container shortage prevails.

April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Tractor sales increased by 26.14% from 38,306 units in April 2021 to 48,319 units.

Two-wheeler sales increased by 37.99% to 11,94,520 units from 8,65,628 units in April 2021.

Three-wheeler sales were up by 95.91% in April 2022. 42,396 units were sold compared to 21,640 units in April 2021.

Passenger vehicle sales increased by 25.47% compared to the previous year. 2,64,342 units were sold last month compared to 2,10,682 units in April 2021.

Commercial vehicle sales increased by 52.18%. 78,398 units were sold in April 2022 compared to 51,515 units in the previous year.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the numbers, I guess it's end of road for Nissan India soon? Hardly any volume for them and no new car coming in nearby future. Dealers must be worried a lot. God knows how they are surviving now with so much less volumes.

Maruti clearly losing volume due to chip shortages. They must of lost 1-2 Lakh customers in last 1 year due to unavailability of cars. 3.25 Lakh + pending orders are too much for any company. Hope they have some concrete plan for near future.

Tata and Mahindra doing extremely good and as an Indian its a matter of pride for us. Hope Mahindra will sort out their production constraints soon and deliver more volumes. New Scorpio is eagerly awaited too. Exciting time ahead for Mahindra.

Overall average month for car manufacturer's. For others, business as usual. Nothing great. Worrying time for Honda, lot depends on their new SUV.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post

For Skoda to record such a growth and VW not matching is surprising.
VW will catch up with Skoda numbers once Virtus deliveries are started.

MG is either seriously impacted by chip shortage (surprising as other companies are still delivering) or their sales is really bad. Astor for all the hype is doing very less numbers.

Honda is seriously clueless on what they are doing. Just give WRV that CVT gearbox and it will do good numbers.

Last edited by sunikkat : 10th May 2022 at 19:03.
sunikkat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 22:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post

Honda is seriously clueless on what they are doing. Just give WRV that CVT gearbox and it will do good numbers.
I agree. I think people know Honda would launch its SUV at a premium and may pull the plug on WRV which is quite a competent vehicle. Hence the gain in numbers. I hope Honda takes a cue from here and gives some worthy upgrade to WRV.

Having a strong brand image, all time favourite product Honda City, a competent diesel+CVT combo in Amaze, senaible Jazz and WRV, I really fail to understand their thought processes over the years.

They have frittered their advantage and have been really slow in adapting to the changes.
SSD2122 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:27   #21
BHPian

There are 13 SUV’s/MUV’s 6 Hatchbacks and 1 Sedan in the top 20 list. A decade back it used to be quiet opposite. Sheer dominance of a segment.

Slavia ate Ciaz and Verna’s numbers. Have to see what Virtus is going to do to them. City is untouched and actually it got good numbers. Honda should thank Škoda and VW for bringing some freshness in to this dying segment. Waiting to see Honda launching hybrid in Vx minus ADAS to gain more numbers.
saisree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
There are 13 SUV’s/MUV’s 6 Hatchbacks and 1 Sedan in the top 20 list. A decade back it used to be quiet opposite. Sheer dominance of a segment.

Slavia ate Ciaz and Verna’s numbers. Have to see what Virtus is going to do to them. City is untouched and actually it got good numbers. Honda should thank Škoda and VW for bringing some freshness in to this dying segment. Waiting to see Honda launching hybrid in Vx minus ADAS to gain more numbers.
Preference of SUVs amongst customers is also an indication of deteriorating city roads that conventional sedans aren't able to take, I feel.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:29   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Preference of SUVs amongst customers is also an indication of deteriorating city roads
But I was told that irrespective of city, highways or village roads, the infrastructures have developed a lot in recent times and was asked to check skyscrappercity for more details. Also, cities might have developed enough so that ample parking space is available for SUVs. So, this can't be true.

The actual reason for the preference for SUVs is that the income of the upper middle class might have increased (ofcourse at the expense of some others) so that they can afford costlier cars and the ever increasing fuel price.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 11th May 2022 at 10:58.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I was of the impression that irrespective of city, highways or village roads, the infrastructures have developed a lot in recent times. Check skyscrappercity for more details. Cities might have developed enough so that ample parking space is available for SUVs. Also, another reason for the preference for SUVs is that the income of the upper middle class might have increased (ofcourse at the expense of some others) so that they can afford costlier cars and the ever increasing fuel price.
True, highways have-improved/are-improving. But city roads remain a mess, due to rotten municipal corporations. Need some urgent municipal reforms.

Speaking for myself, I upgraded from a sedan to a SUV nearly 5 years ago largely due to rotten roads in Bangalore, which continue to be rotten till date. I did this after experiencing car-bottom-scrapes about 10-11 times in my 5 years of sedan ownership in Bangalore, esp when my entire family was traveling. And mind you, this was an SX4, which had a very generous ground clearance. Hence upgraded to an SUV.

What you say about increased income is also true.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Honda should thank Škoda and VW for bringing some freshness in to this dying segment.
With you on that - with nothing fresh and only limited options to choose from, this was a dying segment. With a set of 3-4 options to choose from, people will atleast consider this segment in their shopping list.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 22:20   #26
BHPian

MG being a Chinese company makes it very difficult to predict, will they face the same fate as Xiaomi (tax and royalty remittance muddle)? Recent sales dip may be because of Shanghai lockdown - they could not get parts?

Interesting to see if Nexon EV Max will kill ZS-EV? Same is the case when Harrier & Safari Petrol are launched - what would be the impact on category players.

Why can't TATA & Mahindra take on the Ertiga?

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2022 at 16:26. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts. Please type your posts out perfectly (language, punctuation, grammar, spacing, capitalization)
ASP_73 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2022, 08:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post

Honda has ammunition ready, but they just won't bring it to the war. I feel very sad for the Jazz. Such a good car let down by kack of marketing, and dull engines. I don't understand what is stopping Honda from giving it the City's 1.5 petrol.

Like many others who repeatedly said, Honda really needs to bring in their midsize SUV. Skoda VW launched 2 platform engineered SUV's in this timeframe, but Honda is still evaluating. MG, a completely unknown brand, set up shop and claimed to have sold 1lac cumulative units, but Honda is still evaluating. Kia set up shop, hit record numbers, and Honda is still evaluating. Creta has had 2 generations, but Honda is still evaluating.

Sorry for the long post, but Honda really needs to wake up. There are a lot of customers who are willing to buy good Japanese cars.

If I was earning and had to get a car today, it will either be a Honda City or a MG Astor. Had Honda offered a Vezel, that will be my default choice!
saikishor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 09:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP_73 View Post

Why can't TATA Mahindra take on Ertiga?
Mahindra put in a lot of effort inorder to be successful in the 3 row MPV game, more than once. Remember the Xylo? The recent Marazzo is a brilliant product as well. Had they used the launch pricing strategy like the 700, the Marazzo might have had a different market response. I think Mahindra will target the 3 row segment again, this time with the all new Scorpio.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 09:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Country starved for alternate Japanese cars and Honda saying naah bro we good. Same for Toyota, happy playing safe with two halo products. Two great enigmas of our market. May be Nissan will listen?
amol4184 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:07   #30

I really love this complete sales analysis with charts!! Kudos to the team behind it

It is good to see Tata and Mahindra (our indigenous brands) going strong. Hopefully with news around some more launches in 2022 for both the brands, the numbers keep going higher and they get a larger chunk of the Auto sales.

I suppose Nexon includes the EV figures also...it would be good to see EV numbers separately.

MS is holding really well with it's bestsellers - Wagon R, Ertiga, Alto, Eeco, Baleno, Dzire, Brezza...(so many of them) all with 10K+!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks