Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 13:22   #31
BHPian

Re: April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks for the detailed analysis. Is it possible to get a view of market share of Automatics? Seems the numbers provided are for overall car sales, but if there's a way to find-out what percentage of the model sold are Automatics, it'd be interesting.

Regards
VikramCS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Thank you for the numbers.
Here is a great example of when you make a right product and give all the options to the customer. Instead of skimping on features or only giving 4 Wheel Drive to the top end variant.

The Mahindra Thar 2020 outselling the Scorpio and XUV700. Fantastic to see this.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-thar-outsells.png  

Ksingh544 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 14:30   #33
BHPian

The number of Hilux is bookings or export?
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 14:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
The number of Hilux is bookings or export?
I dont think they are exporting the hilux from here but am surprised by 300 bookings for it and also 100 bookings for the velfire which is priced ridiculously.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 15:55   #35
BHPian

1. Incredible show from Tata and Mahindra. So now that the sales trajectories have stabilized for all manufacturers we can easily say that this is how the market will look for the next one year at least. Addition of Scorpio will tinker things a bit, but yet that is what we have, Maruti at the top position, Hyundai-Tata and Mahindra-Kia fighting for 2nd and 4th spot respectively (their monthly graph literally represents fighting snakes wrapping around each other).
  2. Nissan has to so something, a competent product like Magnite is also going down the drain, it needs at least 2 more products along it immediately to sustain.
  3. Honda is still having a good nap. Amaze and City are saving grace for Honda.
  4. Skoda and VW turnaround is simply amazing, from selling 1500 cars per month to 5000 and 4000 cars respectively is a great feat.
  5. On a different note, do I see the sedan & compact-sedan resurrecting? Slavia, City, Amaze, Aura & Tigor all are selling in good numbers. Will not talk about Dzire as it is a different league though. Even the Camry is selling good for its segment. Only outliers being the Ciaz and Verna, both need a new generation update.
  6. Punch and Nexon have turned out to be two excellent products for Tata. I easily foresee at least an addition of another 5000 cars with Nexon EV MAX, Punch EV and Altroz EV. Bring in a petrol harrier/safari and add another 2000 cars to the list.
  7. Mahindra would easily add up another 6000 cars with the introduction of safari.
  8. Finally after a long time we see some rationale in the market share of car manufacturers, credits to Mahindra and Tata. The lame duopoly of Maruti and Hyundai finally looks shaken, if not broken.
ArTigor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 16:29   #36
BHPian

Wanted to talk about consistency.

Low standard deviation is a decent measure of consistency. I calculated the population SD for each car's last 6 month's sales numbers. If we ignore some of the single-digit/zero sellers, the two cars with the lowest values (hence most consistent) are the C5 Aircross and the Octavia . How about that.
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 17:23   #37
BHPian

Looks like MG has been severely crippled by Lockdown in China, hopefully they pick up steam next month otherwise good products like astor and new zs ev will fail due to lack of availability
Old 12th May 2022, 17:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post

Like many others who repeatedly said, Honda really needs to bring in their midsize SUV. Skoda VW launched 2 platform engineered SUV's in this timeframe, but Honda is still evaluating. MG, a completely unknown brand, set up shop and claimed to have sold 1lac cumulative units, but Honda is still evaluating. Kia set up shop, hit record numbers, and Honda is still evaluating. Creta has had 2 generations, but Honda is still evaluating.
Honda reads this comment, but are still evaluating

Jokes aside, I get the feeling Honda is not interested in doing numbers here in India. They seem to be happy with the fact that their trusted City keeps their shop running. Don't know for how long though given that the VAG sedans are gaining popularity. Honda was one of the early entrants here couple of decades ago and are still languishing at around 3% market share. Surely they have enough talent in their market research to know what the Indian market needs by now, its just that they don't want to tap it I feel.
Kickdown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 03:28   #39
BHPian

XUV700 selling consistently above XUV300 and almost close to the total Safari+Harrier sales is a clear stamp of authority.

The market share of Hyundai and Maruti has been declining last couple of months, indicating how people are looking elsewhere. No more is Maruti synonymous with the first 1st car and neither is Hyundai with the best service network. Tata sure must have put smiles on many to get to where they are today.

Nissan clearly seems to be on the verge of pulling the plug. It is the departure of the excellent Kicks with the Nissan, that would make me sadder more than anything.
black.beauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 07:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
XUV700 selling consistently above XUV300 and almost close to the total Safari+Harrier sales is a clear stamp of authority.
Harrier + Safari would do much better when Petrol version is launched.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:10   #41
BHPian

The decline in Grand i10 + i20 is a worrying sign for Hyundai. The hatchback market share of Hyundai is sliding.
I feel Tata should do a Nexa by moving its EV models and Harrier/Safari to them. They have enough volumes to justify this move.
Old 13th May 2022, 17:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Please add a trend line to the line graphs to give clarity on the direction the item is taking. Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:52   #43
BHPian

Why can't VW and Skoda price their sedans sensibly like the Honda City?
Why can't Honda just use their damn brains for once and get a new CEO for India who would actually do due research on what Indians want in a car and give that to us?
Why can't Renault bring the latest gen Duster to India?
Why can't Maruti just borrow a decent BS6 diesel engine from another company and plonk it in it's cars?
Why can't Hyundai stick to making good vfm i20? 15 lacs for an i20 is crazy!
Why can't Toyota bring their hatchbacks, sedans and compact SUVs to India?

Indian car market is so jumbled up right now, it boggles my brains as to how we Indians make up such a huge market and yet allow the companies take us for a ride! We're paying 15 lacs for an i20, 21 lacs for a Creta/Seltos, 50 lacs for a Camry and 75 lacs for a C-Class. I mean, we deserve better!
DeepakS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 18:24   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikesh11 View Post
Looks like MG has been severely crippled by Lockdown in China, hopefully they pick up steam next month otherwise good products like astor and new zs ev will fail due to lack of availability
Around 2 months back I went to MG showroom to check out Astor and was shocked to know about 1 year waiting periods specially when I don't see much of Astor on roads, when inquired about ZS EV it was not even available for sale in this particular showroom. on the other hand they were trying there level best pushing for Gloster and even Hector. I am not sure weather this was the case with this particular dealer or everywhere. But MG sales are not that high yet, so impact of semiconductor shortage or china lockdown seems far fetched.
Old 13th May 2022, 19:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
Harrier + Safari with one engine, consistently outsells XUV700 which is a combination of Petrol + Diesel + 5 Seater + 7 Seater.

To me Harrier & Safari seem to hold the stamp of authority here.

If you compare like cars in this segment - Harrier & Safari >> XUV 700 >> Hector & Hector Plus !
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed