Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 16:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

MG India crosses 1-lakh sales milestone

MG Motor India has reached a new landmark in terms of its domestic sales in the country. The company’s India sales have crossed 100,000 units in a little under three years, since it introduced its first product, the MG Hector in end-June 2019.

MG India crosses 1-lakh sales milestone-20220509_200014.jpg

The Hector and Hector Plus contributed the most to this milestone, selling over 80,000 units since launch.

The next best seller for the company is the Astor which was launched in October 2021, and went on to garner 8,734 units until March 2022 itself.

MG India crosses 1-lakh sales milestone-smartselect_20220510162507_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Commenting on the Milestone, Rajeev Chaba, President and Managing Director, MG Motor India, said, "We are grateful for the love and trust that we have received after establishing a solid foundation focused on employees, dealers, suppliers, and customers. Our dedication to bringing positive changes to the Indian mobility space through smart mobility solutions and creating a sustainable future is becoming stronger every day. In line with our core pillars - innovation, experiences, diversity, and community, we strive to give our best and delight every stakeholder who has put their trust in us from the beginning. Today, we are humbled as we reaffirm our commitment to making a positive difference in mobility and the community through our products and initiatives. We are thankful for the present and ecstatic about the future".
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th May 2022 at 16:28.
Venkatesh is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:14   #2
BHPian

re: MG India crosses 1-lakh sales milestone

Not trying to discredit MG's achievement in any way, this is a good thing and for any new brand to cross 1 lakh sales in a market like India is a good thing but KIA did do it way faster.

For context it only took KIA 11 months to achieve 1 lakh sales in India (August 2019 - July 2020) with the Carnival selling about 3,600 units and the Seltos taking the lions share with around 97,700 units and this was before the sales blockbuster that is the KIA Sonet went on sale. Which on it's own went on to achieve 1 Lakh sales in about 12 months (September 2020 - September 2021).

MG didn't do a bad job, it's just that KIA knocked it out of the park and then some with the Sonet and Seltos. It's like scoring 92% in your board exams and the kid who sits next to you gets All India Rank 6, you're doing very well it's just that the other guy is on another planet.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That I guess is an unfair comparison, because then on other spectrum are brands which folded up in India too. I think MG is not comparing this in any way and just celebrating a landmark, if it was instead trying to belittle any other brand, then this comparison would have made a lot of sense.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 20:25   #4
BHPian

Congratulations to MG Motor India for the milestone irrespective of what timeframe in which it has achieved as long as the growth is sustained in future and it's a bit unfair to compare it with any other brand.

Also should appreciate MG for bringing an EV into their Indian portfolio and wish the Gloster was marketed in a better way so that it could take the competition to Fortuner after Endeavour's exit.
ranjith_cbz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 21:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
...KIA did do it way faster.
Context is key.

Kia, even as a standalone brand it its own right, had the might of Hyundai's long market presence in India and consequent know-how to lean on behind the scenes, and position offerings accordingly. That said, having data is one thing, leveraging it effectively is another, so all credit to them for their excellent work so far.

MG didn't have the luxury, and have still managed to read the market well and launched solid products of their own (including mainstream EVs). Gloster is the only one that hasn't sold well, which is more the nature of the segment it targets rather than its value proposition as a product.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th May 2022 at 21:45.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 00:08   #6
BHPian

Congratulations to MG for being consistent and steady in providing services to its customers in last 3 years. While competition might brag about numbers but the quality of your vehicles and customer service keeps you way ahead from all of them.
While numerous brickbrats being thrown of parent company being Chinese, MG has much better track record of honouring commitments( read customer service) when compared to other manufacturers including Indian.
Just an example of customer service from my recent interaction with dealership for insurance renewal as my Hector will complete 1 year, I was given option of 7-8 companies, all having tie ups with MG and quotations are at par I get online directly from Individual insurance companies. This transparency of price and flexibility to choose tells a lot about the culture and goal of MG.

Wishing MG many more successful milestones in times to come.
FiatDiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 06:36   #7
BHPian

My experience with MG through my booking to allotment of car was below par. No one had a clue of what was happening.

After allotment of my car (Story in itself for another day), the experience of dealing with them changed magically.
Prompt responses, best resale value offered for my ageing XUV 500, accessories credit happening automatically, SA arranging PDI on his own.

First service experience was also good. The car was neatly given back, the accessories were perfectly installed as instructed and a fault taken care of. Nothing was oversold and a polite "No" worked.

Overall a pleasant experience with them. Only if the car had either a better mileage or more engine grunt. It is sometimes as lifeless is older i20 Petrol (No offense to owners). On my daily office commute I am lucky if I get 8 kmpl.

I will give them a thumbs up ��
model-t is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:45   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Certainly took longer than expected, but MG is happy doing 4000 - 5000 cars / month, and focusing on profits. Kia was an outlier = no other OEM has had such a thunderous launch since 1996 when Hyundai arrived here. The Koreans are insanely aggressive and think very big.

Importantly, MG is building a great brand image with very competent products like the tech-laden ZS EV, competent Astor, comfortable Hector & blingy Gloster. The pre-sales & after-sales experiences of MG are usually good.

Congrats to Rajeev Chaba & team. They are succeeding with relevant products where many others have failed (GM, Ford, Fiat etc.). In terms of sales / month, MG volumes do come in the vicinity of brands that have been around for decades (VW, Skoda) and because of its higher priced products, MG's gross turnover is greater than the likes of Renault & Nissan.

Look at it this way. Brand Jeep launched the Compass in 2017 and since then, has been a one-horse player (Meridian was only just introduced). MG launched the Hector in 2019 and has followed it up with one impressive product after another. It's no wonder that MG's gross sales are 4 - 5X that of Jeep, which had FCA's decades of Indian experience behind it.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2022 at 10:41.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:58   #9
BHPian

Re: MG India crosses 1-lakh sales milestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats to Rajeev Chaba & team. They are succeeding with relevant products where many others have failed (GM, Ford, Fiat etc.).
I agree and wholeheartedly applaud the fact that MG has achieved this inspite of facing the Chinese brand stigma in India.
Kia did not have to go through this.

While my feedback on their after sales and service has been a hit or miss, i also feel this sales number could have been bettered had MG managed the chip shortage secnario better. MG seem to have an India strategy, but India is still not an important enough market for them to allocate more. Most of their products have long wait times, but are in demand because they have been successful at carving out their niches.

With EVs coming to the fore in the next few years, tt will be interesting to see how it plays out for them in the long term, and whether they are able to build their ecosystem around it.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:08   #10
BHPian

We must keep in mind that MG cannot bring in investment from its parent easily due to restrictions on investments from China. I'm sure this would have played a role in limiting their ability to add capacity.

Despite these constraints, what MG has achieved is commendable.
qaqa is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
We must keep in mind that MG cannot bring in investment from its parent easily due to restrictions on investments from China. I'm sure this would have played a role in limiting their ability to add capacity.

Despite these constraints, what MG has achieved is commendable.
MG seems to be getting more confident with India business and hopefully will become more aggressive in next 1-2 years. In below article following are highlights:
1) Raising Rs 5K Cr. by December this year - via FDI or domestic/PE funding
2) Increase capacity from 70K to 130K and post funding to 300K
3) Set-up another plant to achieve this capacity
4) Launch compact EV-SUV to compete with Nexon in 10-15 Lakhs range in early 2023
5) Expecting to become profitable next year
6) Will invest and introduce more autonomous features upto level 4

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le65401127.ece
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG Motor India has reached a new landmark in terms of its domestic sales in the country. The company’s India sales have crossed 100,000 units in a little under three years, since it introduced its first product, the MG Hector in end-June 2019.

The Hector and Hector Plus contributed the most to this milestone, selling over 80,000 units since launch.
Kudos to MG - a little slow to the 100K mark but they are definitely steady in their approach to the Indian market.

Hector - entering into a segment dominated by the Creta and then the instant success of the Seltos, the Hector still stands out because of the sheer value it provides from the price point of view. The more I look at the prices of Kushaq and Taigun, the more I like the Hector. 80K is a good number which gives a big confidence to the perspective buyers in MG as a brand.

ZS EV - Another high risk segment car but consistently doing decent numbers. The Nexon EV is a formidable opponent and this is where MG needs another EV offering priced below the ZS EV.

Gloster - With the Fortuner being the default choice in this segment, the sales numbers of the Gloster do not have much to talk about but still seems to be keeping the margins in check. The exit of Ford did not seem to help push the sales numbers up for the Gloster - one reason might be that the Gloster is seen as a premium vehicle rather than a true blood rugged SUV like the Fortuner or the Endeavour.

Astor - Pitched against the likes of the Creta/Seltos/Kushaq/Taigun, the Astor had a great start but the initial excitement is now cooling down fast. The reason is simple - this car does not have the road presence like its opponents. It simply looks like a big hatchback and buyers in this segment are looking for a car which looks more of a SUV rather than a crossover.

One thing that MG has learned specially from Hyundai (being a foreign brand) is a good ASS - MG seems to have understood that to build a strong brand it needs to provide a great ASS experience to its customers and is putting in a lot of hardwork in that direction. Five years standard warranty with great service packages to choose from added with a responsive service network has helped MG keep its customers happy.

Last edited by TheVegabond : 12th May 2022 at 12:27.
TheVegabond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 01:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
but KIA did do it way faster.

For context it only took KIA 11 months to achieve 1 lakh sales in India (August 2019 - July 2020) with the Carnival selling about 3,600 units and the Seltos taking the lions share with around 97,700 units and this was before the sales blockbuster that is the KIA Sonet went on sale. Which on it's own went on to achieve 1 Lakh sales in about 12 months (September 2020 - September 2021).
Hi, this is because the Kia Motors production capacity is much higher than MG's. Even now Kia Motors' Anantapur plant production capacity is 3 lac while MG's Halol plant is at 80k per annum. So though Hector/ Astor are doing well they can't reach Seltos / Sonnet sales. There was an announcement from MG that they're investing 4k Cr to rampup production capacity to 3 lac. All the MG models are sharing the same capacity.
darthvader001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 20:31   #14
BHPian

MG India's statement for MCA Notice

MG India crosses 1-lakh sales milestone-20221101_202918.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks