Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 17:39   #556
BHPian

re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

Polarizing design, Powerful performance, Feature loaded that won't be seen in any sedan less than 50L rupees, backed by strong Hyundai service network, won't be surprised if it sells more than city.

My two major concerns are,

1. Rear seat comfort, last gen wasn't spacious, hope they improved the space.

2. DCT Tuning, the one in creta is conservatively tuned, initial gears are a bit mellowed down, hope that's not the case here.

I like this verna in dark colors, in white it looks boring though.

Last edited by tiagoatrix : 21st March 2023 at 17:40.
tiagoatrix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:46   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_Exhaust View Post
Well, if the base variant does not have ESC, that tells a lot about where they are focusing at. That should be there as standard.
Agreed, all of its rivals have standard ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
So it will get maximum 3 stars in GNCAP based on the new rules as they have omitted ESC as standard (adding airbags looks like a cheaper thing to do).
They can either make it standard or an independent option. It's not hard to do, and even if they were to do it after GNCAP tested the car, it would still improve the star rating because GNCAP would have tested the ESC anyway (ESC required on at least one variant for 3 stars). Mahindra, for example, made ESC an independent option on the Scorpio-N more than half a year after GNCAP first started crash tests on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Manabendra S View Post
However omission of ESC in the base variant is not good as it will cause its score to drop in The GNCAP
Point is, they can make that change overnight if they want to, and I'm quite sure it won't take more than a few months (i.e., when the introductory pricing period is over).

The Verna might also have an advantage because of rear belt reminders which now add 1 point to the score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Manabendra S View Post
(if they decide to get it tested).
Can't discount the possibility, but more than GNCAP I am confident of Hyundai Panamá sponsoring Latin NCAP testing when exports begin, because they seem eager to erase the mark of the string of zeroes they were awarded in 2021.

Last edited by ron178 : 21st March 2023 at 18:00. Reason: ambiguity
ron178 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:53   #558
BHPian

My mouth is watering even though I have a 2016 Verna which has been so faithful for so many years.

I am so torn up. I really want this haha.
Old 21st March 2023, 18:38   #559
Senior - BHPian

The slavia, virtus are priced exactly same as new verna factoring all discounts on road. So price won't be a deciding factor.

Feature wise verna is surely better kitted, but the Czech german twins are perceived better to drive with 5 star safety and suv like GC.

Power wise Verna is surely leading in 0 to 100 times and probably in gear as well. 1.5 tsi is not as maniac as 1.0 tsi.

0 to 100 MT verna is also almost a match with the Octavia 2.0 maybe due to dsg in Octavia restricting a hard launch.

Its a healthy competition.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 19:01   #560
BANNED

Any news on the platform it's based on? If this scores 5 star in Crash test, it's worth it.
Old 21st March 2023, 19:20   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Here is someone who got to drive the NA engine already. Scroll to 10:00 :

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=6MxK...nel=AyushVerma
That acceleration run looks surprisingly fast. Is that really the naturally aspirated version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
So it will get maximum 3 stars in GNCAP based on the new rules as they have omitted ESC as standard (adding airbags looks like a cheaper thing to do). Hope the body is rated stable unlike their other cars.
Stable body shell is more important than 6 airbags even. I just really hope they haven't compromised on the metal as usual. ESC and traction control on the other hand is rather unimportant, unlike what marketing states, for a light FWD car with less than 200 hp. ABS is very important and basically any modern car with ABS can have ESC implemented via software for negligible cost which is why they have become a big talking point on cars which have compromised safety elsewhere.

I'm not saying that ESC is useless. They are very important on heavier, more powerful cars or SUVs where weight transfer is more evident and they tend to spin out or topple over. But on cars like these, a decent set of tyres would be more important. They are almost impossible to spin out as is. Most of these electronic nannies just become a nuisance that disrupts or catches a good driver by surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
It's surprising to see how Hyundai managed to price the Verna 1.5 Turbo so well. Even though the prices are introductory and will be increased later on, still the pricing is pretty impressive, at least for the Turbo variant.
Although, it still remains to be seen the driving dynamics and the credibility of '160HP' of Verna when compared to VAG twins because VW hp>Hyundai hp (at least that's what the trend has been for so long in India). The claimed 0-100 is lower than that of the VAG twins, but the reality remains to be seen.
It's not because hyundai's HP is worth more than VW's HP. It's because VW's transmissions are top of the line. The DSG dual clutch transmission, despite all it's problems are lightning fast with their shifts.
Old 21st March 2023, 19:24   #562
BHPian

Verna’s lowest priced variant with ADAS is having a price tag of 16 lakhs, which is more than 3.5 lakh rupees costlier than the lowest priced Honda City variant with ADAS (V trim at 12.3 lakhs). It would have been better & more competitive if Hyundai have equipped Verna with ADAS with mid variant with manual transmission trims.
Old 21st March 2023, 19:25   #563
BHPian

The OTR at Lucknow along with extended warranty ranges from 13.06 to 20.45 L for the various trims. Not at all bad I would say for what is on offer
Old 21st March 2023, 19:36   #564
Senior - BHPian

Finally, a sedan that gets 205 mm tyres. Not since the Linea T Jet and SX4 have I seen this as an official on C2 sedans( 12 years ago). I think the SXO manual turbo would be one of the last few affordable cars for a pure petrohead. Grab it while it lasts!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st March 2023 at 19:38.
Old 21st March 2023, 19:53   #565
BHPian

So I went to the Hyundai showroom today to checkout the Verna. There was absolutely not a single fly or crow around (to translate a tamil proverb meaning it was empty/lonely). I thought there would have been atleast a few people checking out the car but I was the only one and that meant I got some good time to check out the car and its details. The display car was red in color and I must say the car looks good in person and in red color. I'm now conflicted if I should consider black color or red.

Sharing some pics as I haven't seen any of the Red color versions posted here. Quick observations on some questions that have not been covered so far: 1) backseat space was ample 2) Interiors felt and looked good and upmarket. I was concerned that the infotainment screen bezels would look too big but when you're sitting in the driving position you don't really notice it.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-img_4647.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-img_4648.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-img_4650.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-img_4651.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-picture-1.jpg

Last edited by ulag62442 : 21st March 2023 at 20:18.
ulag62442 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:03   #566
BHPian

Holy Crap! That is one good looking car.

SO, this is what the New Verna is:

Interiors: Check
Power: Check
Space: Check
Looks: Check
Dynamics: Can't comment unless driven
Safety: Uhm! Can't say

The Verna is an all rounder but I hope some private body tests it for crash and I also wish Hyudai has given it good dynamics with stability.
MotorDev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:04   #567
BHPian

According to the website, only the Turbo variant gets the Smart Cruise Control and Leading Vehicle Departure Alert. So people who are going to use this car for long drives have to buy Turbo variant only.
Old 21st March 2023, 20:11   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Previous Gen Verna vs New Gen Verna side-by-side comparison

CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:15   #569
BHPian

Sane pricing by Hyundai. As mentioned earlier, the comparison with VAG cars needs to be with SX and not SX(O) which means it is much much more value for money.

I was going through the brochure and was trying to compare the SX and SX(O) turbo.

SX(O) turbo gets the following things more than the SX turbo:

1. Electric Parking Brake (Only in DCT).
2. Rear Disc Brakes (Only in DCT).
3. Hyundai SmartSense.
4. Leather seats.
5. Power Driver Seat (I am confused as to what this is).
6. Luggage net.
7. Rear Manual Curtain.
8. Front ventilated and heated seats.
9. Bose Premium sound 8 speaker system.

Observation on differences:

1) All these changes combined cost you a premium of 1.15L for Manual.
2) Out of 7 available differences for manual, 2 are a waste (6 &7), which means 5 differences are what Hyundai thinks is worth 1.15L. Wonder if this is worth it.
3) All these changes combined cost you a premium of 1.15L for DCT.
4) Out of 9 available differences for FCT, 2 are a waste (6 &7), which means 7 differences are what Hyundai thinks is worth 1.3L. Wonder if this is worth it.
5) Not providing rear disc breaks for manual versions of SX or SX(O) is quite strange, unjust and silly to be honest.

First Glance Remarks:
1) With Creta already getting a Panoramic Sunroof, Hyundai should have offered the same here. It would have been a killer differentiation. People drool over them and often are a decider. Hyundai missed the trick here.

2) I am gobsmacked by the ARAI figures. If it is real, wouldn't that be a game-changer? Unless Hyundai ARAI and real-time figures are having huge parity.

3) Overall the car looks good enough to bring some excitement and visibility to the C2 segment. My hatchback is already 8 years old and due for a change. My wish is for a C2 segment car with good safety and all-around performance.

Finally, I wish this brings some good numbers to them so that MSIL is forced to work on all new generation Ciaz. New Launches of MSIL have seen tremendous improvement in every department and that combined with MSIL nameplate is enough to bring the numbers home. But is MSIL listening? They seem to be in an overcompensating mode in the SUV space after losing out few important years!
RaghuVis is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:43   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

VW twins for now have the better GNCAP score and possibly a better ride. If Hyundai even offers 80% of what VW twins are offering in these regards, Verna would be a great deal.
One more point, Slavia & Virtus have better ground clearance than Verna, which is a deal-breaker for many because of bad roads & speed bumps.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks