Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 01:01   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

I find it quite strange that the only variant that gets all wheel disc brakes is the 1.5 Turbo DCT variant. I would have expected it in the MT variant too. Knowing that Hyundais have been traditionally very strong on brakes, perhaps the drums do the job on the MT. With this is mind maybe this discs compensate for the lack of engine braking on the AT but I would have loved to see the discs on all variants of the Turbo.

Regarding the design Hyundai have done another Creta. Not a timeless design like the VAG group but polarising. However I think this too is their USP and going by their sales success they have no reason to ape a group that is still known for naming their various "turn-around" programmes rather than managing to generate any substantial volumes from any of it's models. Whiff of competition and they all falter down by the wayside.

Depending on rear seat comfort this is potentially going to challenge the City. However by introducing a cut rate version of the Hybrid City I think Honda has got an ace in the hole.

I have finally got a good replacement for the Baleno RS. Waiting for the turbo variants of the Verna's big sisters the Creta and the Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Sane pricing by Hyundai. As mentioned earlier, the comparison with VAG cars needs to be with SX and not SX(O) which means it is much much more value for money.

I was going through the brochure and was trying to compare the SX and SX(O) turbo.

!
Power Driver Seat is basically electric adjustment for the seat for reach and backrest incline. Instead of the manual levers.

Regarding the worth of the features it depends on what you are looking for. They are quite decent convenience feature and safety feature especially the rear discs and the ventilated seats. However for those looking for manual I guess since the rear discs drop out of the equation may make more sense to go for the SX.

I don't think MSIL is going to give the CIAZ much love as they are focused on getting back market share in the SUV segment. Plus large sedans are not really Suzuki's strength and they have enough on their SUV plate for now in my opinion than to go and create/improve a sedan platform.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 22nd March 2023 at 01:13.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:21   #587

Went to the showroom to check it out. Love the dual tone interiors but the catch is it isn't available in turbo! The all black interiors really did appeal to me!
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:50   #588

Not a fan of how the car looks but apart from that the car is solid from Hyundai!

Pricing is also aggressive from which I hope it re-ignites the sedan passion.
Sheogarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:55   #589
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket299 View Post
The ARAI claimed mileage for Creta DCT was 17kmpl but based upon mileage tests and owner review it returns a meagre 9 to 11Kmpl in mixed condition. It would be interesting to see how true the claimed mileage of 20kmpl for Verna DCT actually returns. If I were a prospective buyer I would not expect a mileage of more than 13kmpl in mixed condition and 7-9kmpl in B2B. Since this car doesn't feature active cylinder deactivation which its german rivals get.
Trick is to drive with a light foot. This is true with both VW and Hyundai-Kia group cars. I own a sonet tgdi and it easily delivers 14-15 in city conditions with light foot. On highways it stretches to 19-20 kmpl with a light foot.

With a heavy foot the active cylinder deactivation tech does not deactivate the cylinders hence more fuel consumption for the VW group cars.
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:58   #590
Senior - BHPian

The rear three quarter angle looks sleek, along with its cuts in the body work resembles the Octavia to some degree. I am not a fan of the light bar in the front, nor a featureless face (like the Carens)

That said, the Verna looks more stunning in dark (black) shades than a white I feel
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 08:08   #591
Senior - BHPian

Mileage comparison

Quote:
Verna’s new turbo-petrol engine makes it the most powerful sedan in the segment, it’s also one of the most fuel efficient too.
2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230322080621_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd March 2023 at 08:13.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:18   #592
BANNED

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

The FE numbers look good on paper. But here’s a reality check on the Virtus FE by ACI.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-2c5d7fe3be884be2a9f869c01540dc46.jpeg

A recent fast drive in the BMW 330Li gave me 3.2 kmpl.

Drive a turbo petrol the way it is meant to be driven and expect these numbers. In fact the average speed to get 9.8 kmpl was 18 km/h as per the read out above.

Don't post high mileage pics obtained by pussy footing the car. That only misleads other members.

If you’re buying the turbo petrol to enjoy the car, be prepared for single digit FE’s. Let not published FE’s mislead you.

Last edited by EV NXT : 22nd March 2023 at 09:29.
EV NXT is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:40   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
The FE numbers look good on paper. But here’s a reality check on the Virtus FE by ACI Attachment 2431729
Drive a turbo petrol the way it is meant to be driven and expect these numbers. In fact the average speed to get 9.8 kmpl was 18 km/h as per the read out above.
I would deduce the other way round - the mileage is 9.8 kpl because the average speed is just 18 kph. Meaning the car never really had a chance to keep at higher gears.

The typical day time Kerala highway speed is around 30-35 kph and on my Virtus 1.0 AT, this translates to mileage of 12-13 kpl. However on the same highways, the average speed increases to 50 kph at night or pre-dawn, and I have got mileage as high as 19 kpl.

Mileage is a weak point for turbo petrols, but one can extract good numbers - if so inclined - and depending on the road/traffic/drive conditions.
Pequod is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:21   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver2023 View Post
Great VFM product from Hyundai. Lot of segment first features like rear disc brakes, power seats etc with powerful engine. VW and Honda need to raise their standards to move their cars unless they are fanboys. Even a 4 star can beat 5 star cars of VW stable. When you get better brakes which helps all times why not give it a preference. Design is polarising but chiselled designs have better aero. Test drive reports and reviews will let everyone know how the dynamics are. Its a hit with engine, features and pricing. Design is a critic based view. Performance of the car will let us know how good it is!
All this & finally good legroom at the rear which was an Achilles heel for previous generations
jayram.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:36   #595
BHPian

Out of the whole launch, here are my observations-

LOVES-
- Unveil, presentation and price announcement all on the same day.
- Good mix of active and passive safety features. We've moved REALLY ahead in terms of these in the last few years driven by govt initiatives and increased awareness.
- Increased focus on driver delight by means of a performant engine and driver-oriented dash.

DISLIKES-
- NO mention of structural rigidity and any improvements made in the shell. No breakdown of which steel has been used where- not in the launch presentation, nor on the website. To me, this is a red flag. Erstwhile Hyundai cars have this displayed on the website.
- Reflector-type LED headlamps and no fog lamps. Seriously? Oh and among a sea of LED light bars, you still have halogen indicators. It almost seems as if OEMs sometimes do this on purpose to annoy us.
- The dual screens are put together in this glossy panel, just the same way as in the Seltos. Not a big fan. Also, the driver console is not actually a proper LCD like some others have, which makes the screen pretty static.
- Powered driver seat is a joke. Why cut functionality there?
- Dual spoke steering is a half-hearted design attempt. VW and Skoda's is much better.
- Sunblind for the rear windshield but not for the rear passenger windows. Why? Do it or don't.
automowheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:51   #596
BHPian

Hello
I had been looking to buy the vw virtus. I decided to wait till the new Verna got launched. Yesterday I went to Advaith Hyundai dealership, JLB road, Mysore and took a look. After having seen virtus in and out since 2 months, what I felt was the paint quality is way superior on vw.

I have taken multiple TD of virtus and loved it. Not the speed, but the general handling of it- the low body roll, stability, the acceleration, the looks, space, everything.

On road price here in Mysore for vw virtus 1.5 GT is 22,65,000 including everything- individual registration, insurance, standard accessories, 5th and 6th year extended warranty.

On road price of Verna 1.5 turbo dct should come out to around 20,10,000 after good negotiation. 1.5 turbo MT should be around 18,60L.

I have still not taken a TD of Verna. I need help with several aspects regarding making this decision.

1. I heard that ADAS can sometimes be too obtrusive, especially those that are monitoring lane change and and lane departing. One of my friends has an xuv700 and he said it will sometimes pull back the car into the lane. This felt like a total red flag when we are driving cars in India, a place where lot of drivers turn on the left turn indicator and just go right.

2. DSG failures in VW, and some DCT failures of hyundai-kia. I am comfortable with manual or auto, and so is my dad. Since virtus 1.5 was not available with MT, i had told myself, if i be a little easy on the transmission by say, putting it to N in start and stop traffic, it wouldn't fail, but recently I'm learning that any DCTs can fail out of the blue. The only reason I'm looking for an auto is, with turbocharged engines becoming the norm, in MT cars, i have to go through the whole "lose turbo spool during gear change-upshift-go through turbolag-get boost once turbo spools up again" cycle with every gear change. This hit me hard when i test drove the virtus 1.5GT.

3. Lot of people keep telling me, German engineering is and has always been superior, and if i buy a German car it will stay new for decades, if i put a little bit effort to maintain it while Korean and Japanese cars have always been, well, Korean and Japanese cars.

I have driven 1.05L km on my Baleno RS in 6 years and it was maintained meticulously. Every 10000km oil change was done with engine oil flush before change and 0w40 fully synthetic oil with additive. RF wheel balancing and wheel alignment was done every 5-6000km once. It was as good as a new Baleno RS, so I'm used to maintaining a vehicle properly not compromising on stuff.

4. I didn't like the instrument cluster and the steering wheel on the Verna honestly. Even if Hyundai had give the steering wheel of i20 nline it would have appeared so much better.

5. Hyundai is offering 3y/unlimited km warranty+ 1yr extended warranty+5y "shield of trust" maintanence package". I don't know if this will ease the situation in case of a DCT failure, in terms of how much it costs(replacement under warranty) or ease of parts availability. I have learnt from this forum that VW/skoda tend to blame the DSG failure on the most irrelevant and the smallest aftermarket modifications like a non VW battery of same rating for eg.

Considering all these, will it be better to go the vw road or pick what seems be a no brainer, the Hyundai?

P.S. Sorry i don't have permission to create a new thread in 'ask advice inTeamBHP' section.
apramey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:51   #597
BHPian

I am surprised that Hyundai has not mentioned the GC figure in its brochure and website as well. There is no official word on it so far. However as per v3cars site, it is 170 mm. It is less than VAG sedan twins but 5 mm higher than previous gen Verna.
I think it should suffice and help in better ride and handling.

Source:
https://www.v3cars.com/reviews/hyund...ace-dimensions
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:14   #598
BHPian

This showed up in my feed, the first reported accident of the newly launched 2023 Hyundai Verna. The car crashed with a speeding Royal Enfield Classic when taking a u-turn during a test drive! While this is unfortunate, gives away a lot about its build quality:

techdarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:28   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdarshan View Post
This showed up in my feed, the first reported accident of the newly launched 2023 Hyundai Verna. The car crashed with a speeding Royal Enfield Classic when taking a u-turn during a test drive! While this is unfortunate, gives away a lot about its build quality:

https://Youtu.be/9nZiDmqIPEg
Very often we see such accident related news of newly launched cars sending a message that the car has some amazing build quality. I would rather wait for NCAP ratings than believing Youtube university news. So far Hyundai and Kia have not focused on safety for indian market. Hopefully it is going to change !!
rajshenoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:40   #600
BHPian

The logo placement is not good. It is really bad to look at in the front of the car.
Karooo is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed