Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:42   #616
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Let’s not confirm that having rear disc means better real world performance than VAG twins. Kushaq / Taigun with rear drum brakes performed better than Creta / Seltos with rear discs in all performance comparisons. While I hope it performs better than VAG twins, so that other manufacturers feel the need too, its very early to come to a conclusion.
Agreed, there are lot more for better brakes like pad materials, callipers, dia, number of discs, ventilation etc.Discs are always better than drums so mentioned it.
Safedriver2023 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:57   #617

Being a Verna owner, I can't wrap my head around the steering wheel design with 2 spokes. It just feels incomplete or missing. I don't know how many Verna owners will agree to this.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd March 2023 at 09:11. Reason: Typos
MangoMan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:03   #618
BHPian

In my opinion this is a horrible looking car with a mouth watering price if you look at the performance stats. This will be enough for many people to go for it. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!!
SN88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:08   #619
BHPian

Checked out new Verna in-person today.
Trust me when I say this - no pics or videos can justify the looks of the car.
Hence, am not going to post any pics from the visit.

This is also evident from multiple posts where people have seen the car in flesh.

Just a few observations:
1. The horizon DRL and connected tail lamps just add to the style quotient. Nothing feels out of the place.
2. Interior feels very premium and the screen bezel is not much evident unlike what we have seen in the pics.
3. Rear seat comfort is next level. At 5'11, I felt under-thigh support to be better than Innova Hycross
4. Touchscreen is as smooth as it can be. And Bose sound system will appeal to most of the prospects.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:32   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apramey View Post
Considering all these, will it be better to go the vw road or pick what seems be a no brainer, the Hyundai?
Totally depends on your requirements, preference, and budget. Either way you cannot go wrong. With regards to DCT, if this is your only car or your usage is mostly city limits, then irrespective of the brand I would advise you against it.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:42   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Checked out new Verna in-person today.
Trust me when I say this - no pics or videos can justify the looks of the car.
Hence, am not going to post any pics from the visit.

This is also evident from multiple posts where people have seen the car in flesh.
Even I like the car very much. If it not for the recent SUV crush, I would readily buy. I remembers the Lincoln and Interceptor sedan. Plus I used to like the under thigh support in those car whenever I took Taxi
Ananthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:56   #622
BHPian

So it seems to me they have taken some (if not most) of the styling cues from the Hyundai Grandeur which was launched about 4 months back.

By Damian B Oh - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...urid=125572195
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-hyundai_grandeur_calligraphy_gn7_yugi_bronze_matte_27.jpg  

reinhardt93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 21:01   #623
BHPian

Personally, I like the way it looks. Even if the Slavia/Virtus have a better crash rating, I would prefer this over the VW/Skoda twins. Mostly for peace of mind and after sales service. They've obviously loaded it to the gills which is par for course these days. I wonder if there will be a Kia twin.
invidious is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 21:42   #624
BHPian

With dark tints and logo delete and it will look decent
2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-picsart_230321_173611873.jpg

Would look even better if it didn't have the tube light in the front
2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-picsart_230322_214546411.jpg

Last edited by Revmatch99 : 22nd March 2023 at 21:53.
Revmatch99 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:15   #625
BHPian

Seems like there is a option to switch off the led bar on the front end.

It was seen in one of the youtube videos.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-20230322-1.png

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-20230322-3.png
Maxton07 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:34   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
The Polo was discontinued due to the sole reason of the new gen attracting higher taxes due to it's dimensions, I'm pretty sure that if they brought in the new gen Polo, it would've been selling more than or at least equal to the i20.
Off topic: I believe the Polo and Vento (both based on the PQ25 platform) were discontinued because VW needed more space in the production line at their factory to make their MQB A0 IN platform cars. Since they were focusing on their 2.0 project, they had to make this move. Otherwise, the Polo was a decent seller, finding ~1000 homes a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
3. The pricing must be causing palpitations in the VW/Skoda planning rooms. Over a lakh cheaper on most variants, with more features, power and space!
The Verna's turbo engine, being locally produced, is cheaper than the 1.5 TSI engine used in the Slavia and Virtus, which is imported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Looking forward to the test drive now where the following open points will get revealed:
1. How is the space management in the Verna, especially in the backseat?
According to some videos on the internet, it seems there is a drastic improvement in the space department vis-a-vis the previous generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Finally, a sedan that gets 205 mm tyres. Not since the Linea T Jet and SX4 have I seen this as an official on C2 sedans( 12 years ago).
The Virtus and Slavia too come with 205/55R16 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automowheels View Post
DISLIKES-
- NO mention of structural rigidity and any improvements made in the shell. No breakdown of which steel has been used where- not in the launch presentation, nor on the website.
It's true that Hyundai hasn't mentioned anything about the structural rigidity in the launch video. But they had made a video earlier mentioning about the types of steel used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhardt93 View Post
So it seems to me they have taken some (if not most) of the styling cues from the Hyundai Grandeur which was launched about 4 months back.

By Damian B Oh - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...urid=125572195
IMO, the Grandeur looks much better than the Verna because of the way the grill is shaped. I think the problem with the Verna's front design lies not with the full width DRL, but with that joker-esque grill.
CentreOfGravity is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:07   #627
BHPian

To me the new Verna’s design looks very busy with tons of cuts and creases along the sides and an awkward front. The talking point is definitely the 160 bhp 1.5 GDI and it’s good that Hyundai is offering that engine in 2 trims. The interiors also look well done like other Hyundais.

However, the Achilles heel for Hyundai (in India) is their crash rating, barring their flagship Tucson .I would be pleasantly surprised if the new Verna does better than 3 stars in GNCAP.

For me the Virtus/Slavia is still the pick of the segment for someone who wants to have fun behind the wheels, ably backed by the safety net that the VAG 2.0 products provide. For someone looking for a practical buy, Honda City is hard to beat.
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:10   #628
BHPian

In my opinion! A hot looking sedan; better than the so called timeless design of Virtus! Not commenting anything on the looks as they are subjective but Virtus's design is reminiscent of the 10 year old jetta ( this may work for the cult VW lovers, but i don't think people will pay in 2023 for a good looking car from 2013).

Speaking of the Verna! Excellent attempt from Hyundai to bring back the Josh in sedan segment and this seems value for the kit it offers. Again people have been crying a lot about Hyundai/ Kia's DCT and trust me these are those people who themselves drive an AMt from MS / Tata or M&M or are still on the MT ( no offense to MT owners) . DCT needs to be handled well and it will always reward you well. Kia and Hyundai DCT have been in the market for almost 4 years now and not every unit is troublesome! So many cars are out on the road and they are still running well.
SJ1211 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:12   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Seems like there is a option to switch off the led bar on the front end.

It was seen in one of the Youtube videos.
Middle one turns on with the headlights.
jaysonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:36   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Totally depends on your requirements, preference, and budget. Either way you cannot go wrong. With regards to DCT, if this is your only car or your usage is mostly city limits, then irrespective of the brand I would advise you against it.
My driving will be mostly city with highway drives, only for the next 3-4 months daily, afterwards the highway drives will come down drastically. But even when I say its only city driving, i want to clarify that there is really no stop-go traffic in Mysore yet, at least in the areas I drive.

One of the videos on youtube clarified, that because DCTs have a transmission control electronic module, the manufacturer would almost always program it to recognize that you have come to a stop, in say, a traffic signal, and thus engage neutral instead of actually keep the clutch engaged, so that they can prevent unnecessary wear. So it would not require us to manually shift to N whenever we stop for more than 30-45 seconds. I don't know how much of this is true though. Here it is:

That said, the pricing of the new verna is also so drastically different. 20L vs 23L(the new hiked on road price of RDE and e20 compliant virtus/slavias). If I choose 1.5 turbo manual sxo(18.6L on road I think), i will be able to manage the whole purchase without getting a loan also! Hence it is being really difficult to choose from.
apramey is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed