Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2023, 14:17   #706
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

Checked it out personally and I think this is one car the design of which will never grow on me. I saw several people saying that it looks very different in person, so I went to a dealer to check it out along with a friend who's very interested in this car.

Nope. As far as both of us are concerned, it's ugly in pictures and in person. Which is too bad because the features list is impressive and the engine I'm guessing will also be a stonker w.r.t the segment it's in.

I also thought the Verna generation just before this was ugly when I first saw it online, but when I saw it in person it looked pretty clean. That is not the case for this.

Last edited by SaiSW : 25th March 2023 at 14:19.
SaiSW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 15:22   #707
Senior - BHPian

Closer look at the 1.5-litre Turbo variant.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325151913_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325151921_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325151930_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325151942_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325151954_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325152004_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325152014_instagram.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-smartselect_20230325152025_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 15:44   #708
BHPian

Looks inspired by the homegrown Pravaig Extinction Mk1

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-20210226123112_pravaig_extinction_exclusive.jpg
Sudarshan42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 18:18   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Hey guys,

So I own the old gen Verna and am looking to upgrade to this new one. I am mostly interested in the top end SX(O) DCT version.

However I also own a Kia Seltos, 1.4L GTX+ DCT Petrol. Bought the car in 2019. Recently (over the past maybe 9 months) I have started experiencing gearbox heating issues with the DCT box. The "transmission temperature" gauge in the Seltos starts to heat up in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Around 2-3 times I've had this issue and got the alert message on the central MID screen asking me to stop the car on the side and wait for the gearbox to cooldown. This is really inconvenient and not expected of a car that costs this much. It made me think whether Kia actually tested this for our Indian traffic conditions or not.
Oh and I live in Delhi and most of my drive is in the city (some outside towards Noida wherein I use the Meerut Expressway).

So I am very concerned whether I should change my decision to the NA Petrol variant of the new Verna, or just go with the DCT itself (since its a new engine, 1.5L instead of the 1.4L)

However I am an enthusiast and definitely do not want to move away from a Turbo (that too hopefully being one the best in this segment, waiting for the reviews)

So any insight/thoughts/views from the community on this topic would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, Sorry to hear that you are facing problem with your Seltos . The transition from a turbo to a non turbo variant will not excite you anymore on an open free road. I think it is perfectly fine to go with the verna 1.5 turbo DCT but at the same time if your running is mostly in the city, the NA variant is perfectly fine.

Just asking, did you consider the slavia, virtus 1.0 and 1.5 ?
MotorDev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 19:39   #710
BHPian

I could finally test drive the Verna DCT turbo today.

Background of this review is that I drive the Ford Figo 1.5D.

1. In person in darker shades, the car is indeed a looker except for the front Hyundai logo which is hideous, changing it to a smaller one may suit though bear in mind the logo is inside a kink on the bonnet, so better black it out.
2. The engine is explosive when in the power band.
3. The ride quality is very matured.
4. The handing can’t be compared to my car, the body control isn’t amazing either.
5. Overall a very compelling package especially for a person who is tired of sitting on the fence looking for a car which actually feels like an upgrade from my current car performance wise. I know the VW twins are there as well which I will TD soon, no other car really feels as fast like the Ford let alone better it.
6. Plot twist is the Jimny, I absolutely adore the car even though I am aware of its shortcomings. I think that’s a once in a lifetime car.

With my steed:
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-4f17f7770b794cf88ffcbfc4975cfbab.jpeg  

jackofsome is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 19:57   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

However I also own a Kia Seltos, 1.4L GTX+ DCT Petrol. Bought the car in 2019. Recently (over the past maybe 9 months) I have started experiencing gearbox heating issues with the DCT box. The "transmission temperature" gauge in the Seltos starts to heat up in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Around 2-3 times I've had this issue and got the alert message on the central MID screen asking me to stop the car on the side and wait for the gearbox to cooldown. This is really inconvenient and not expected of a car that costs this much. It made me think whether Kia actually tested this for our Indian traffic conditions or not.
Oh and I live in Delhi and most of my drive is in the city (some outside towards Noida wherein I use the Meerut Expressway).

So any insight/thoughts/views from the community on this topic would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Dry clutch DCT will heat up in start stop traffic, in fact it is mentioned in the user manual,that is an inherent characteristic of that gear box, can be avoided to some extent by shifting to neutral in traffic whenever possible.

I personally have faced transmission high temperature once, and I feel that DCT is not meant for high density City traffic. You can go with 1.5 turbo manual or you can go with DCT if Hyundai is offering 7 year warranty, which I have for my creta dct.
tiagoatrix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 22:11   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post

Dealer had the Titan grey readily available, which could be taken for delivery by April 14th. But we decided to wait for the Tellurian Brown shade which looked classy with those black alloys.
How much time are they saying for Tellurian Brown or other colours?
Old 25th March 2023, 22:40   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Verna in different colours from media drive - Link
Link
I am looking at the number of pages the responses on team-bhp are spanning to. And also after seeing the New Verna many times now, I find the car a perfect novelty among the likes of other Sedans. So I honestly believe that not only the sales will be stellar but also it will attract more people to Sedan. Kudos to Hyundai for putting some life in this segment and bringing some brilliant features with an amazing newness in the Exterior and Interior design.
Old 25th March 2023, 23:54   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Any specs out on the GC yet? GC looks reasonable in the photos though not in the Slavia Virtus league.
It is still a mystery and no official word yet. It has to be either 165 or 170 mm and certainly not near Slavia's GC of 179 mm

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I am very concerned whether I should change my decision to the NA Petrol variant of the new Verna, or just go with the DCT itself (since its a new engine, 1.5L instead of the 1.4L)

Thanks in advance.
There has been many Cretas' DCT that had this clutch overheating issues and actuator had to be changed. But it was claimed that this issue got resolved and 2022 manufactured DCTs didn't face the problem.
There is a separate thread that discuss this DCT clutch overheating issue.
ndinesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 10:46   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
I could finally test drive the Verna DCT turbo today.

With my steed:
Your Figo is also a once-in-a-lifetime car, jackofsome. The 1.5 TDCi is so good that I feel it's unfair to compare it to most engines below 20 lacs. I also have a car with the 1.5D, why I hold on to it is because it can be explosive but also not burn my wallet (I suffer from a bad case of heavy right foot syndrome), I don't think my bank account will be too happy if I get the Verna 1.5 Turbo. But setting aside that, the 1.5 Turbo is what gave me chills in the spine closest to what I got when I first drove the 1.5 TDCi. Great engine. Despite the design shortcomings (afaic), this will be a smash hit.

P.S.
I have some questions about the visual mods you did to your car, but I cannot seem to find the PM option in your profile. Might be because you are a new member. So mods please allow me this one time.
That grill, black mirrors and smoked headlamps look very good. Did you get the headlamps done manually or did you replace stock ones with the Sports edition headlamps or facelift headlamps? Have the same question about the grill, but I can maybe guess that you fitted the Sports grill there.

Last edited by SaiSW : 26th March 2023 at 10:50.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 10:53   #716
BHPian

[quote=ndinesh;5518842]It is still a mystery and no official word yet. It has to be either 165 or 170 mm and certainly not near Slavia's GC of 179 mm

One of the many drive reviews (48 Automobile, I think) available on YouTube now, clearly states that the GC is 170 mm at the 12:25 position, I made a mental note of this. However, this is not official Hyundai, nor a Dealer!
vivprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:20   #717
BHPian

I wish atleast the turbo variant has been given a lower GC as higher GC ruins the looks and dynamics of sedans :(. A GC of 170mm would be ideal for the NA variant though.
Old 26th March 2023, 11:39   #718
BHPian

I honestly feel that the team who designed the exterior of this vehicle had their performance appraisal coming up immediately after they submit this design. They have done way too much and ruined it to the core!

Similar to the story of the rear design of Nexon!
Old 26th March 2023, 13:43   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post

5. Overall a very compelling package especially for a person who is tired of sitting on the fence looking for a car which actually feels like an upgrade from my current car performance wise. I know the VW twins are there as well which I will TD soon, no other car really feels as fast like the Ford let alone better it.
6. Plot twist is the Jimny, I absolutely adore the car even though I am aware of its shortcomings. I think that’s a once in a lifetime car.
Hey,

We are in the same so to speak.
I drive a stage 2+ 1.5D BS4 lowered Figo and am actively looking for a daily drive.

I have tried so far:
1. Honda City - Good driving feel but power and handling are no where close.
2. N-Line i20 - Blood boils that it costs 14L. Absolutely hated everything except the interiors. For instance - Although it had 4 disc brakes, it braked poorly that the Figo.
3. Virtus GT - Seems to be the best pick of the last, however I am not able to justify the purchase. Its not nimble, not a good handling car, but has good juice for cruising and highway runs.

Jimny is a great option but power is depressing.

Looking to pick up a pre-owned vehicle and build it due to this conundrum.
Options:
1. Skoda Superb 3.6 4x4
2. Octavia 1.8
3. 2010-14 BMW 520/530d

Do keep us posted on your search.
Old 26th March 2023, 13:44   #720
BHPian

Managed to walk into the showroom to spend some time with the New Verna.

1. Contrary to the opinion here, the White colour Verna looks quite good in person. (w/ DRL strip off)

2. I tested the hefty feeling or the thud sound of the doors — there are in the high 8.5/10 range if not the 9.5/10 the VAGs get.

3. The interiors are notches above VAG 2.0 cars. Period. I didn’t quite find the steering a turn off either.

4. Rear leg room and comfort are definitely something to write home about. Didn’t find it short of anything really!

5. Having driven a Polo for last 10 odd years, the Hyundai interiors and this new Verna exterior feels like a fresh change. Maybe the first look bias, not sure.

6. There’s no (meaningful) flex to any of the materials whether it’s inside or outside.

7. Quite like the all black interiors and also the dual tone interiors.

8. Red callipers on the alloys looks HOT.

9. Test drives to begin in 10 days or less.

10. Lots of IVTs in stock for immediate delivery but none is flying off the shelves yet. It’s the Turbo that’s getting all the attention so far apparently.

If the driving dynamics and suspension feel come anywhere close to the Virtus, it’s a no brainier to pick this over the VAG equivalents IMO.

Cheers!
TokyoDrifter is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks