Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2023, 08:08   #751
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If you have a budget of 20L, I would strongly recommend the turbo variant. Sometimes one gets the remorse after having spent that much money- CVT cars tend to give you that feeling, because they arent that much attractive to drive in a urban + highway cycle.
In the Last 6 Years the My 2nd Car (Which Verna will be Replacing) went only twice on ORR, and 3 Outstation Travels. I am 90% Chauffer driven nowadays, so I couldn't justify spending the premium (1.5L) on Turbo. Thanks a Lot for the suggestions.
drkritik is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:50   #752
Senior - BHPian

The problem with Hyundai and Kia cars below a certain budget like Tucson has been the crash safety rating. As expected, I don't see any mention of crash test ratings for the new Verna as well.

I, for one, have decided not to consider any Hyundai and Kia cars unless they are tested for crash safety (talking about Indian models only). I hope more and more people consider that as the topmost priority which will enforce the manufacturers to change their strategy and not strip the Indian models of the crucial safety elements in the name of cost cutting or value-for-money
adimicra is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 12:14   #753
BHPian

I had pre-booked a Black Turbo DCT on the first day pre-bookings were open. I was quite pleasantly surprised when my SA informed on the day of launch that the vehicle had arrived in their yard and I could take delivery in a week. Kudos to Hyundai for not making the launch a long-drawn process spanning months, as is the norm these days.

I requested my SA for a test drive, which he arranged the very next day. I had previously owned a Fluidic Verna from 2011-2020. The new car looks bigger, modern and much more premium. The front look, like a lot of people have mentioned, gets a little getting used to. I would not call it ugly, but certainly looked bland, especially so on the white color test drive vehicle. The rear and side profile look good though. The Turbo DCT model felt really peppy and fun to drive. The black interiors with red inserts looked good. No complaints on the perceived quality of materials either. The alloy wheels in black look bad IMO. Hyundai could have done better.

The on road price of 21.22L for the Turbo DCT variant seemed high. The Turbo DCT has a premium of close to 1.5L over the SXO IVT. Considering my usage is primarily going to be within the city, it did not make sense to spend 1.5L extra for the Turbo model. I therefore chose to switch my booking to the IVT non-turbo variant.

Initially, I had trouble deciding between the SX IVT and SXO IVT. SX is a good 2L cheaper than the SXO. However, it misses out on the Bose Audio system, ADAS, Ventilated Seats, bigger 10.25" touch screen unit (v/s 8" in SX) and a few other things. After much deliberation, decided to go ahead with the SXO IVT, as I think the additional features are important to me and I would definitely regret not getting them at a later stage.

The booking is now confirmed for Black SXO IVT. The dealer does not have this variant and color combo in stock. I will have to wait (hopefully not too long). However, to make matters complex, my SA says the tax will be increasing by 16-17k from the 1st of April. He has a White SXO IVT and Black SX IVT in stock which I can take delivery of immediately, if I wish to. I've however decided to wait for my choice of color and variant to arrive.

On a separate note, I did notice the mention of official accessories for the Verna during the launch presentation of the car. Have not heard anything more about it. Does anyone have more information on this?
over.drive is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 12:43   #754
BHPian

Visited Lakshmi Hyundai, Kalyan Nagar with my brother-in-law to check out the new Verna since they are looking for a new car. The car looked much better in flesh than the pics. Couldn't test drive one since we were told it will be another 10 days till they get a TD car.
Few points I noted -
- The switchgear seemed lifted straight off the i10/i20
- White interiors looks good but will get soiled real fast. The display car was already showing some stains. I gthink the black interiors should be the pick.
- The screen bezels were huge.
- Centre console hand-rest doesn't slide forward.
- Rear retractable sunshade is a good feature but it could've been provided at the 4 windows too which is a miss
- Rear seat space is sufficient though I felt the City was a bit more spacious
- For a car whose top-end costs 20/21L, Hyundai could've done little more like full cladding for the inside of the boot lid, full cladding for wheel well etc.

Overall quality seemed satisfactory.
But I have a query, the difference between the top-of-line Verna and Creta(petrol) is around 1L approx which is negligible in EMI terms.
In my opinion, at this difference, the Creta seems more VFM considering the kit it offers at almost the same price. Opinions and suggestions welcome.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-picture-1.jpg
Anduril is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 13:29   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post
I had pre-booked a Black Turbo DCT on the first day pre-bookings were open. I was quite pleasantly surprised when my SA informed on the day of launch that the vehicle had arrived in their yard and I could take delivery in a week. Kudos to Hyundai for not making the launch a long-drawn process spanning months, as is the norm these days.
Here you go. My SA shared it with me. I've booked the starry blue DCT SXO.

Still awaiting the test drive. Delivery will take 3 4 months.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Annexure 1_ All New Verna Accessory and Packs overview.pdf (420.4 KB, 1348 views)

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th March 2023 at 13:43. Reason: Please avoid quoting the full long post. Thank you!
Grand Tourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:41   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Big brother Sonata revealed with the same family look. The design seems less polarising on the bigger car.
I agree, this looks much hotter than the Verna. In my opinion, it is not the design elements which decide the extent of ugliness of a car, but their execution. Case in point, both the Sonata and Verna have full width DRLs and tail lights, but what lends the Verna the 'ugly' tag is the execution of those design elements - the DRLs look tacky, the grill looks like a joker's grin and the rear part of the side profile isn't well done. On the other hand, the Sonata's design elements work in harmony, each element complementing the other (personal opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokett View Post
I think all the discussion on the design of the new Verna would be unnecessary with a bit of a different grill design.
I agree with you a 100%. The render somehow looks VERY appealing compared to the real deal.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 15:26   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
What is benefit of Stop and Go in a non-hybrid car? Won't it increase the load on battery with AC, dual screens and music running? How much will it impact the battery life?

On the other hand, only benefit I see is that with DCT we wouldn't have to shift to neutral on signals or stop & go traffic, since the engine is off and shouldn't put load on the clutch system. However, is this better than shifting to neutral? Is there anything that I'm missing here?
A properly implemented Stop and Go system would save you at least a liter, probably closer to 3 or 4, of fuel every time you fill up if you're driving in the city. Particularly in India, we spend a lot of time idling at signals or in creep-traffic and the consumption of fuel in modern, fuel-injected cars is around 0.6L per hour per litre of engine displacement. I'm honestly surprised it isn't a mandated requirement yet, considering that even high-trim Altos go for over 7L on road nowadays and this would save us so much fuel that's otherwise uselessly burnt up waiting in traffic.

The battery, starter motor (if not an ISG setup like in mild hybrids) and other electrical systems are significantly beefed up to handle the extra load.
rkv_2401 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 15:39   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I, for one, have decided not to consider any Hyundai and Kia cars unless they are tested for crash safety (talking about Indian models only). I hope more and more people consider that as the topmost priority which will enforce the manufacturers to change their strategy and not strip the Indian models of the crucial safety elements in the name of cost cutting or value-for-money
Same. For me safety precedes everything else as I do a lot of highway drives with my family. Which is why I am looking to replace my 2016 Ford Aspire DCT. Much tempting as the feature list might look on the new Verna, driving a sub 3 or 2 star rated car will always be at the back of my mind. I am willing to sacrifice a few features for a solidly built car.

Leaning towards the VAG sedan twins as of now unless of course Hyundai surprises us all with a 5 star rated Verna. Wont hold my breath for it though .
Kickdown is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 15:39   #759
BHPian

Quote:
i have a feeling that the IVT transmission may not be able to adapt well to the requirement since it takes a while to speed up if it slows down quickly from say 100 to 70. Whereas the DCT which actually has gears, downshifts and responds better. But this is my guess based on my experience with both types of transmissions.
Don't think this is true, I have a MT car equipped with ADAS (Mazda 3) and it is more than happy to slow down and speed up by modulating the RPMs incase I don't change the gear ( I do get suggestions to upshift or downshift while all this is happening). The Cruise Control function is not broken if I touch Clutch/Accelerator and only broken when I touch the brakes. For IVT this should be even easier as there's no clutch and the driver will be prompted to change the gears if needed.

Although it is correct that it might introduce more wear and tear if the user is not completely aware and abuses the technology unknowingly, I say this because my other car has ACC + Auto transmission and I can strongly feel the downshifts when the car has to pick up speed again while on ACC.
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 16:32   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Don't think this is true, I have a MT car equipped with ADAS (Mazda 3) and it is more than happy to slow down and speed up by modulating the RPMs incase I don't change the gear ( I do get suggestions to upshift or downshift while all this is happening). The Cruise Control function is not broken if I touch Clutch/Accelerator and only broken when I touch the brakes. For IVT this should be even easier as there's no clutch and the driver will be prompted to change the gears
May be so, but in my experience of using CVT cars in India, the transmission struggles to acclerate after a quick slowdown from highway speeds. Even a Honda City with S mode is not up to the task. I am not sure how powerful your Mazda 3 engine is.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 17:23   #761
BHPian

Quote:
May be so, but in my experience of using CVT cars in India, the transmission struggles to acclerate after a quick slowdown from highway speeds. Even a Honda City with S mode is not up to the task. I am not sure how powerful your Mazda 3 engine is.
That might be due to the inherent nature of CVT. Mazda 3 has a 2 liter NA engine rated at 122ps so almost similar to the Indian City engine which is NA 118ps if am not wrong. Anyways I don’t want to go off topic much all I wanted to say it that it’s definitely possible with MT/IVT cars as well
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 17:53   #762
BHPian

What's a good dashcam brand to buy? My Hyundai dealer is only offering Qubo. Any idea if it's good?
Old 28th March 2023, 18:21   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
What's a good dashcam brand to buy? My Hyundai dealer is only offering Qubo. Any idea if it's good?
I have not used Qubo but I use the 70mai A500s with the rear cam in my Nios and I'm planning to get the same for the Verna when I get it. Its pretty good from a quality standpoint and the app is quite intuitive to use. Has some form of ADAS (warnings only) which work ok. I also got the wiring kit and setup the parking mode. Works pretty well

Deal of the day: 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Car Dash Cam, 3K, ADAS, Built-in GPS Logger, Route Recorder, App Playback & Share, Optional Parking Monitoring

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th March 2023 at 18:55. Reason: Fixing URL
Old 28th March 2023, 19:49   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

0-140 run

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqVXH...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That's quick
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 20:20   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
0-140 run

That's quick
Is that a 7.xx second 0-100? That would make this car the fastest sedan one can buy under 50L post April I believe.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks