Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 15:18   #1

Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupportive

Bought a C5 on April 2022. Need Help urgently

Hi folks.

This is my first post and I thank the forum for giving me an opportunity to connect.

I need urgent help and advise in a matter which is detailed below:

Background: This is regarding my recent purchase of Citroen C5 shine from Gurugram dealership on 10th Apr'22. This was a demo car with about 22000 km on the ODO. The deal was locked on 31st March and entire amount was paid by 9th April. The delivery was taken on 10th April and the trouble started right after. Following issues were reported to the dealership the day after delivery:

1. Insurance: I was assured Platinum Insurance (Quoted Premium - 1,43,381) but given ICICI insurance (Premium - 1,13,745) i.e. difference of 29,636. Numerous calls and emails later, the amount was refunded by dealership but it took them about a month to refund the amount not belonging to them. During this period, various dumb explanations were given, like difference amount was their commission, we promised only comprehensive Insurance etc.

2. Registration: An amount of Rs. 1,98,595/- has been paid to the dealership at the time of delivery for Car Registration at Chandigarh. The temp. RC was to be provided in 1-2 days and a temp. RC was provided by Dealership which had already expired on 6 Aug 2021 Temp./Permanent RC or any valid document in my name is still awaited even after more than 1 month of delivery. I have grounded the vehicle since I was stopped by Traffic Police in Delhi on this account. Citroen has delivered me a showpiece which is occupying my garage and is not worth a penny if it can't hit the road.

3. Car Condition: Vehicle was delivered in an extremely poor shape on the inside. This despite repeated assurances by dealership that they will take care of it prior to delivery. The poor conditions of the vehicle can be seen in the pics attached. At time of delivery, I was told to take the car to service center for cleaning but the service center asked for money to do the same.

4. Maintenance Package: I was categorically told by SA that Extended Warranty and Maintenance Package are not technically possible to be offered for a demo car which Citroen is open to selling it to me. Despite my repeated requests, I was not offered the package. I could have got that amount included in the Loan amount but couldn't do so because of the misinformation. This is again cheating with the customer and I hope you are able to do something about it.

After failing to get even a response/resolution on any of the issues after waiting for about 10 days, the matter was reported to Citroen India Customer support on 22.04.2022.

Again no response was given by Customer support so I reported the matter to Citroen India Brand Head on 7th May along with all details and documents.

The customer support is a joke. They claim to operational till 7pm but phone lines are dead much before that. Try calling between 6 to 7 pm (1800-267-1000) .

Present Situation: I am still waiting for any response from dealer, customer support or Citroen Management. Clearly, they are not interested in customer's concerns.

It is been a harrowing experience during the last 5 weeks. I believe they still treat India as a third world country and don't have any regards for the customers in India.

Please suggest the way forward (legal and otherwise).
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupportive-2.jpeg  

Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupportive-3.jpeg  

Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupportive-4.jpeg  

Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupportive-5.jpeg  

Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupportive-6.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th May 2022 at 20:40. Reason: Very minor cleanup edits.
Abhinav_11286 is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupporti

Thanks for sharing, Abhinav! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any substantial post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!

1. You need to take your car to a detailer for interior & exterior sprucing.

2. Demos are really not my cup of tea. 22000 km on a demo car is equivalent to 50000 - 60000 km on a carefully maintained, single-hand driven car. Hope you got a really good deal though .
GTO is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:20   #3
BANNED

Re: Bought a Citroen C5 demo car | Vehicle delivered in poor shape | Dealer incompetent & unsupporti

I will never buy an "unknown devil" car, that too a demo car from an "unknown brand" (in the sense their after sales and service quality, and reach are considered) even if they give it for free, if it is not for just show-off. That too, when you have some manufacturers producing some known devils like hot cakes in your own city!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th May 2022 at 20:49.
romeomidhun is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

More than the dealer OP is at fault, going ahead with delivery despite so many red flags.

Instead of using the forum now to get the required visibility and leverage, he should have used it to educate himself

Sorry if this doesn't go well with some members, but lately the forum has become a tool to create pressure on other party and it surely works due to the stature of the forum but this power should not be misused.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th May 2022 at 20:57. Reason: Minor typo.
BANDHAV is offline   (224) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very sorry to hear of your ordeal Abhinav. I don’t have any immediate advice vis a vis Citroen and their dealer but this is certainly really poor form from both the dealer as well as brand Citroen. I really hope they pull up their socks and resolve some of these issues for you.

In the meantime, I suggest take charge of every aspect that you can change and enjoy the vehicle as best possible. That includes a good detailing job as well as perhaps getting involved on ground (if needed by bringing in your own RTO agent) on all paperwork / RC related formalities. While it is far from ideal, best not to depend on the dealership based on their attitude so far.
Axe77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_11286 View Post
This was a demo car with about 22000 km on the ODO.
Welcome to the forum; not a good way to start your experiences. I wish you had become a member before and asked this question about buying a demo.

Buying a demo and that too, which has done such high mileage, is a big NO. In my opinion, you have made a big mistake and will need to pick your priorities while arguing with the dealer or the company.

Quote:
Maintenance Package:[/b] I was categorically told by SA that Extended Warranty and Maintenance Package are not technically possible to be offered for a demo car.
It shows that the manufacturer is not sure of the future problems this car may have due to the nature of use (demo). Usually, car companies will not just give an extended warranty but also throw it without charge or at lower rates.

Quote:
Despite my repeated requests, i was not offered the package. I could have got that amount included in the Loan amount but couldn't do so because of the misinformation. This is again cheating with the customer and i hope you are able to do something about it.
I don't understand this when they have told you that no extended warranty will be applicable; how can you demand this now? And why will this be cheating, and what has this to do with loans when they are not going to accept them in the first place.

Quote:
Please suggest the way forward (legal and otherwise).
Your priority has to get the car registered.

Quote:
Registration: An amount of Rs. 198595/- has been paid to the dealership at the time of delivery for Car Registration at Chandigarh. The temp. RC was to be provided in 1-2 days and a temp. RC was provided by Dealership which had already expired on 6 Aug 2021
Are you sure the Registration is temporary (starting with TN) and not Trade (starting with TC-) has expired in August 21? Usually, the cars are driven under TC plates, but I have begun seeing more registered cars being used a Demo off-late. Suppose the Car was already registered temporarily last Year at Gurgaon. In that case, it will be tough to change the name and address of the buyer on the permanent registration to Chandigarh. I have no direct knowledge of the subject, but this looks very complicated. The car will have to be first registered to the same person/ company at the same place after paying a fine plus penalty and interest, as the road tax has to be paid within one month of temporary registration. However, if it's a TC plate, it is usually valid for 12 months, and you can get new Temporary registration in your name.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th May 2022 at 21:03.
Turbanator is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:06   #7
BHPian

You have got a demo car. Demo cars are abused by hundreds of people, showroom folk, parked in malls and roadside for days. All these things are expected while getting a demo car and hence they are cheaper to buy.

You should have done a proper PDI of the car before signing the cheque. Now, there is no point trying to put the issues on a public forum; I don't think Citroen India needs to intervene in this, as its a sale of a demo car and not a new car.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th May 2022 at 07:55. Reason: Please always be respectful to fellow members.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:08   #8
BHPian

Abhinav - definitely feel bad reading about your situation. While you mention all the items that you discussed with the dealer, did you not get anything in writing from them? Especially on insurance and extended warranty/maintenance from Citroen themselves. Having these in writing prior to paying the full amounts or before taking delivery would have you in a much better position.

Like GTO mentioned, buying demo cars is not everyone's cup of tea. So many of us are circumspect about the used car market itself, but you've taken a step further. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but a bit more caution upfront might have been good.

You've taken the right steps in escalating to all the levels and hope you get answers and resolution soon. If not done already, you can try highlighting in their social media channels to get more visibility.
vijaykr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:12   #9

Man this is disheartening. Brother , have patience and as @Turbanator has stated, get the car registered first. Moreover, I can really understand the sentiment behind getting a demo car, been down that road myself . It always seems like a too good to be true kind of deal and man it always is. But nevertheless , dont be disheartened. Find yourself a good FNG as well. Plus as the big boss said, get the baby detailed , she needs a dash of makeup.
Thekalacoatwala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Bought a C5 on April 2022. Need Help urgently
4. Maintenance Package: I was categorically told by SA that Extended Warranty and Maintenance Package are not technically possible to be offered for a demo car which Citroen is open to selling it to me. Despite my repeated requests, I was not offered the package. I could have got that amount included in the Loan amount but couldn't do so because of the misinformation. This is again cheating with the customer and I hope you are able to do something about it.
Unless this was promised to you at any point during the course of your transaction, I can't really point fingers at the dealership. Most dealerships are pretty sound legally and discard their vehicles on an "as is where is" basis so the onus of literally anything does not fall on them. Should've checked every inch of the car, knowing it as been ridden by a ton of people and has more than mediocre wear and tear for its mileage. Always remember: They're in the profession of selling, and unless you're in the profession of buying: they'll more often than not, outsmart you.

I hope you get the redressal, the first course of action (legal or otherwise) would be to do some field work and get the car registered yourself. Get an agent and they'll get it done. Looks like the burden of interior detailing has fallen on you, time to try a good garage maybe?
ubermensch is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I was categorically told by SA that Extended Warranty and Maintenance Package are not technically possible to be offered for a demo car which Citroen is open to selling it to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't understand this when they have told you that no extended warranty will be applicable; how can you demand this now? And why will this be cheating
@Turbanator: The way I read that bit in OP’s post, I understood it to mean that Citroen has agreed to sell him the extended warranty / maintenance package although the dealer said its not possible. But better for OP to clarify as its not that clear from the post. If I’m reading that wrong then I agree with your statement above.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th May 2022 at 03:46. Reason: Minor formatting edit.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 22:23   #12
BHPian

In my opinion too much is expected from the manufacturer in this competitive world. Consider these profit share numbers as a rough reference - Toyota earns Rs 40k on a Fortuner while the dealer earns 1L, and the govt 18L.
https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-earn...-12435713.html

Pardon me if I read the issues incorrectly - the below if how I read it.
1. Insurance - already resolved.
2. Registration - Sure, this is something that needs the dealer and RTO to execute on.
3. Car condition - nobody hid the fact that hundreds of people have been in the car, for 22k. Some stains can be fixed, some cant. That is the nature of this beast.
4. Maintenance package - were you misled on this before the sale? If not there is no legal recourse. I dont see how calling Citroen would fix it. Looking at the profit share numbers, I feel we complain a lot to the person making the least.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 22:33   #13
BHPian

Welcome to the Forum! Certainly not the first post anybody wishes for but you've already fallen into the pit I guess.

The moment I read "This was a demo car with about 22000 km on the ODO", I was like ouch, this is not going to be good. Nobody likes demo car, period. You never know what all surprises it has for you. Don't mind me asking but was the deal so lucrative enough to go ahead despite the red flags?

Quote:
1. Insurance: I was assured Platinum Insurance (Quoted Premium - 1,43,381) but given ICICI insurance (Premium - 1,13,745) i.e. difference of 29,636.
How much does the invoice show? When did you come to know of the difference?

Quote:
RC was to be provided in 1-2 days and a temp. RC was provided by Dealership which had already expired on 6 Aug 2021 Temp./Permanent RC or any valid document in my name is still awaited even after more than 1 month of delivery.
Again, at what point did you come to know of this? Reading through, it looks like it was expired even before you took the delivery. This looks unethical but something that you could proceed on legally. But again confused on the papers, signature and other stuffs. So whats the dealer's explanation for the permanent RC? I'm assuming all taxes, payments and sorts are made through the dealer itself.

Quote:
3. Car Condition: Vehicle was delivered in an extremely poor shape on the inside. This despite repeated assurances by dealership that they will take care of it prior to delivery.
You knew the car is in bad shape at the time of delivery itself. If it were me, I wouldn't take delivery until they stick to their words and resolve everything promised. I'm afraid you don't have anything on them at this point. Demo cars are usually bought after thorough examination, if at all you decide to buy.

Quote:
4. Maintenance Package: I was categorically told by SA that Extended Warranty and Maintenance Package are not technically possible to be offered for a demo car which Citroen is open to selling it to me. Despite my repeated requests, I was not offered the package.
Again this seems like they already communicated to you even before taking delivery about how they cannot give the extended warranty. I'd run away as fast as I can from a demo car without extended warranty. The dealer very well knows the condition of the car and doesn't want to offer extended warranty for this sole reason.

You probably would have to answer a bunch of questions from TBHP'ians but there is very little stuff to do here. Maybe you just have to accept the mistake, and move on. The dealer just tried to get rid of their demo car. Certainly not good for their brand name but it is what it is. Remember to go through this thread before buying a car next time - ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List
logicalidiot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 22:51   #14

You got it right @Axe77. Basically dealership lied on the EW/Maintenance Package issue.

Priority right now is to get the car registered ASAP but I can hardly take it on myself since the money has been paid to dealership an they sure won't refund it. From what I know, issue is with their documentation, so not sure any other agent would be able to help.

I got the car cleaned a few days back and its looks much better now.

The purpose of posting on this forum is to get right advise given the stature of the forum and experience that its members have. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th May 2022 at 03:45. Reason: Some formatting edits. Please do read the forum rules on proper posting etiquette. Thank you.
Abhinav_11286 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 23:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Abhinav. Now is not the time to point mistakes so let me share my views. Let me be clear that having peace of mind is the most important here since there are no mechanical issues with the car.

1. Let go of the dirty interiors and get the car detailed from a good car wash centre. Dont spoil your mood over this. A demo car is technically a used car although it is expected to be delivered just like a new car since it is being purchased from the official dealership itself.

2. Maintenance package- I wouldnt comment on this.

3. Insurance matter is already settled.

4. Registration- This is the only real issue right now as the car needs to be registered in your name. I suggest that you do not dilute your real issue by brining interior etc related debate in the arguments. Focus mainly on the car registration and the maintenance package.

What does the dealership tell you regarding registration update? You can talk to an agent near RTO office once to get first hand information. Just tell him that you wish to buy a dealership demo car and want to know the procedure for registration. Whether the car will be registered in your name as first owner or second owner etc. And what all documents are required.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 13th May 2022 at 23:02.
PaddleShifter is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks