Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Infographic: Percentage of households owning a car/bike in each Indian State

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
The percentages seem to be a bit high for bicycle ownership. I wonder if kiddie bicycles are included too!
Mostly states with low per capita income own more bicycle (especially eastern India)
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 11:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Infographic: Percentage of households owning a car/bike in each Indian State

Comparing the stat with developed economies might not give an accurate representation. In the latter older cars are deregistered, scrapped and taken off the system. In our country they rot on roadsides, become mile-markers, turn into landmarks....but remains on the database.
Old 19th May 2022, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Very eye-opening numbers. Shows what a privileged bubble we live in.
batladanny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:14   #19
BHPian

Really surprised to see Goa having 85%+ 2 wheeler density.
I thought it would be more than 100% as many people rent out scooters to travellers and almost everyone has a personal scooter too.
Old 19th May 2022, 14:44   #20
BHPian

As a keen observer of Punjab economy (being an econ grad and a Punjabi), I feel like I can shed light on some of the related topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In fact the GDP per capita infographic is also very interesting. Punjab is lower than Haryana, HP and UK, which seems contrary to the popular perception of it being a state of relative wellbeing.
The perception is an old one, Punjab was the richest region at the time of independence and among the richest for a long time till the 1980s. It fell behind as other states started to industrialize and develop, from primary sector to secondary, to tertiary (services) etc. Punjab's an agricultural state, back when agriculture was the primary source of income for the entire nation, Punjab came out on top, especially after the Green Revolution in 1960s. Punjab's industrial and services sector have not grown, perhaps you could say the emphasis on agriculture came at a price. The state policy and politics has been dominated by agri concerns and industry has been neglected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
What amazes me is how a state like Punjab tops (one of top 5) in both Bike and cars % ownership, even though the State is under a debt of 3 Lakh Cr. One factor for such high % could be the agricultural income (not taxed - no revenue for state) & other factor could be high ratio of cash transactions (shadow economy, wherein people do have a lot of unaccounted cash [mostly corruption linked] and are spending on luxuries).
The state govt's debt is not a representation of household economic well being. The largest source of the state's debt is the electricity subsidy to agriculture, which has been bigger than the state's fiscal deficit for over a decade. It is an otherwise well run state, though state finances paint a grim picture. I have lived here all my life, so I may be a bit biased. I have had the chance to live in Haryana, the disparity in income feels more widespread in Haryana than in Punjab, where income feels more evenly distributed. During my stay in Panipat, fewer people had cars but the ones who had, had Cretas, luxury cars, at least minimum Dzire/i20s. In Punjab, a lot of the cars are old, altos, Delhi expired (10+ old diesels) cars and so on, pushing the car ownership numbers high. And while the GDP numbers are low, historic prosperity means that people have reasonable resources/wealth accumulation which allows them to purchase vehicles.

That and of course, foreign remittances and shadow economy also contributes to lower numbers on paper. One of Punjab's biggest sources of income has been the remittances it gets from the emigrants.
RoadMonkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 18:42   #21
BHPian

There are social factors too. In Kerala, it is very important to "keep up with joneses". God forbid your neighbour has a car and you don't - beg, borrow or steal, you must buy a car.

A gulf returnee wouldn't be seen dead in a bus. A family going for a Sunday outing would rarely go in a bus, or use local transport. I am not talking about the upper crust - this is everyone in Kerala.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th May 2022 at 21:51. Reason: typos.
surfatwork is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 18:46   #22
BHPian

There are so many shocking numbers in every chart representation and very much misleading.
Of course, I don't believe in this stats either.

For eg. KA looks equally/more developed than GJ, TN, MH which is not true.
UP looks to have more number of wealthy house holds compared to GJ, TN, MH given the total population of UP vs all these states.
Old 19th May 2022, 20:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
There are so many shocking numbers in every chart representation and very much misleading.
Of course, I don't believe in this stats either.

For eg. KA looks equally/more developed than GJ, TN, MH which is not true.
UP looks to have more number of wealthy house holds compared to GJ, TN, MH given the total population of UP vs all these states.
I highly doubt UP would have more wealthy households than MH or even GJ. Its per capita GDP is three times less than either of these states.
Old 19th May 2022, 20:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Was expecting the car numbers for Kerala, but the two wheeler numbers for Kerala seems less than what I expected.[/i]
Many car owners in my circle do not ride/own two wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfatwork View Post
There are social factors too. In kerala, it is very important to "keep up with joneses". God forbid your neighbour has a car and you don't - bed, borrow or steal, you must buy a car.
Very true and dangerous. Someone in my circle planning to buy car because couple of their relatives upgraded theirs. They have a 5 year old hatchback now (running fine) and their financial situation is not so good. I suggested them to wait for 2-3 years, but they are going ahead with their plan.
Old 19th May 2022, 20:34   #25

Surprisingly this shows much potential in many states. I am currently working on a research-based project for one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world. Part of the research is to measure EV purchase intention in India; this ownership parity is prevalent, and it is safe to assume that many car brands still do not focus on most consumers.

While such results were expected, the actual results have sent tremors across board rooms for sure.
Old 19th May 2022, 21:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Punjab - $2525 vs 21.9% (Tax free agriculture income driven higher per capita; but with better spread-out earnings represented by higher ownership %)
The answer is here. Income is less but car/bike ownership is high because money is sent from abroad by NRIs. Sadly, the truth is that there are many marginal farmers in Punjab. In the Doaba belt (between Beas and Sutlej) majority are marginal farmers with average of less than 5 acres. In my village there are only 2 families having more than 10 acres land. Punjab is a small state and if you take no of farmers than in other states, it will be more. (For the same land ownership). Again, in my village there is hardly a case who has bought car/bike without NRI help. I will request you all to show me Agriculture tax saved or subsidised fertiliser etc. Anyone can be my guest and see for themselves how much are the rich farmers earning and where are they?
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 21:49   #27
BHPian

The TN car household car ownership rate surprised me. Until I realized that there me a generational component to this. Many of my aunts and uncles (senior citizens) don't own cars (and never have) even though they were/are able to afford it. Many of them see it as an unnecessary luxury. All of them were pretty comfortable with public transport. Connectivity in TN used to be good - can't comment about current state as I don't live there now. I am sure that was a reason as well.

I won't go so far as to call my observation a fact. It is simply a hypothesis based on my observations

Combining this with the observation about people in Kerala, I wonder how much local cultural traits influence car/bike buying in other places.
kovilkalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 08:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I highly doubt UP would have more wealthy households than MH or even GJ. Its per capita GDP is three times less than either of these states.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Old 20th May 2022, 09:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
Many of them see it as an unnecessary luxury. All of them were pretty comfortable with public transport. Connectivity in TN used to be good - can't comment about current state as I don't live there now. I am sure that was a reason as well.
This is quite a fact . I know lot of well to do households who don't have a car . The societal pressure to own one doesn't exist either in most cases. People who have wealth are comfortable and know what they have, they don't have to prove it here by buying cars.

Public transport used to be good but it longer is, especially at off peak hours. The decline in patronage due to vast numbers of 2W has contributed to this is my guess.
Old 20th May 2022, 10:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Many car owners in my circle do not ride/own two wheelers.
You are telling me. I don't even have a two wheeler license.

Maybe it varies from district to district in Kerala. The parivaahan site is a pain to navigate but I remember the registration numbers district-wise. Last year, in some months, in Ernakulam district for every 100 cars sold, there were 200 two wheelers. But in Thiruvananthapuram district, for every 100 cars sold, there were 700!!! motorcycles. And you can see that in rush hours, when you swarmed by what we call 'stirred hornet nest' So, in my eyes, motorcycle numbers should be more. On the other end, I have observed that in Wayanad, motorcycles are rare. The wide meandering roads mostly see cars, LCVs and transport buses. Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfatwork View Post
A gulf returnee wouldn't be seen dead in a bus. A family going for a Sunday outing would rarely go in a bus, or use local transport. I am not talking about the upper crust - this is everyone in Kerala.
"Kanam Vittum Onam Unnanam" -"We should have the Thiruonam lunch even if we have to sell all our properties" folks.

On the other hand, people like my dad and uncles, who have spend 20+ years in the Gulf are more likely to be bewildered/scared using a motorcycle in today's traffic condition. They would rather take the bus than use a motorcycle. May sound weird to most Indians I believe. They were so used to a car centric lifestyle, that they may plan a trip for long but would end up foundering to get a long distance bus/train ticket. End up taking the car at the last minute.

Though one positive outcome is that the sight of toddlers and kids on two wheelers have gone down. I can't ever remember any of my nephews/niece straddling the fuel tank of a motorcycle. The parents may use the bus/ two wheeler for commuting, but when the kids come out, it is always the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
The TN car household car ownership rate surprised me. Until I realized that there me a generational component to this. Many of my aunts and uncles (senior citizens) don't own cars (and never have) even though they were/are able to afford it.....Combining this with the observation about people in Kerala, I wonder how much local cultural traits influence car/bike buying in other places.
Reminds me of the joke, " You could see a guy wearing the latest dress and riding a KTM motorcycle to work at a construction site in Kerala with maybe thousands in his bank account, but the bare chested, lungi clad TVS 50 riding guy across the border may have a fleet of trucks and acres of agricultural land with a few crores in his bank"

When I think about it. It is true. My relatives in Tamilnadu could have crores in their account, but would use public transport or hire a taxi atmost. My cousin almost bought an E class(childhood dream), but then the street he lives in is narrow and their car porch can barely take in a sub 4m car. Also most of TN settlement is urban in nature. Built-up areas. Don't know why, but for all the open lands and space Tamilnadu has (from a Keralite's POV), their residential areas tend to be cramped. Even the newer ones.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed