Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

"Dreams dont work unless you do"
- John C Maxwell.

It's no secret that all of us dream and it's no secret either everything we dream about might not always be feasible, affordable, possible, and practical, cars included. Over a period of time I have realised that on occasions even the simplest of dreams remain unfulfilled for some reason.

Homing in on my topic, I am discoursing about those AFFORDABLE dream cars that never made it to our garage. Here is my list of such cars.

1. Maruti Omni

Walking down the memory lane, circa mid 90s, Maruti Omni was the car everyone at home wanted to own. Many a time, my father thought of going ahead with the purchase, but never did it materialise. Reason- the roads we had, or the lack of it. Our garage consisted of 2 mahindra UVs back then, 1991 MM540 and 1968 JEEP(which we still have). We had a river to cross, the banks of which were unbridged back then, no vehicles other than the Mahindras could tackle our terrain better. This meant Omni never made it to our garage.

Name:  Omni.jpeg
Views: 818
Size:  159.1 KB

2. Daewoo Matiz

When Daewoo launched Matiz in India in the late 90s, my dad and I fell for it immediately. Although we dreamt of owning one, never did we seriously think of purchasing the bug eyed hatch. A bridge was constructed(in 1997) across the river which had kept Omni out of our reckoning alright, but, the roads were still too nasty for the cute little car to tackle.

Name:  Matiz.jpeg
Views: 640
Size:  127.5 KB

3. Mahindra Bolero

It was in early 2000s, during an impromptu visit to a Mahindra showroom, the newly launched Bolero just blew me away instantaneously. A few days later I persuaded my dad to have a test drive of the vehicle, he was left mighty impressed too. Impressed he sure was, but back of his mind he always felt that Bolero had quite a few "Jeep" like traits. Since we already had two Mahindra UVs, did not go ahead with the purchase. We did think of trading our MM540 to Bolero, but then, with roads getting better in our region, we thought a proper "car" made much for sense.

Name:  Bolero.jpeg
Views: 736
Size:  23.7 KB

4. Ford Ecosport

Although we ended up purchasing a "car" in 2002- Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX, we were never comfortable taking the car on broken/rural roads. The obsession for higher ground clearance only grew with time. I closely followed the development of Mahindra Quanto and kept believing that it could well be our next vehicle. Once the vehicle was revealed, all such thoughts went down the drain. About a year later, one of the significant launches in the Indian automotive industry happened- the Ford Ecosport. Father and I were cock-a-hoop when the crossover was revealed for the first time. Without much ado, we pre-booked the diesel top variant even before the prices were announced. What followed later was terrible dealership experience (Cauvery Ford, Mangalore) which ultimately coerced us to cancel the booking. Ours was booking No.36 in the city, forget delivery commitment, even a test drive wasn't offered after repeated requests. Approaching a different dealership was out of question as this was the lone dealership in the entire district.
Ford Ecosport still remains one of my all time favorites.

Name:  Ecosport.jpeg
Views: 723
Size:  126.1 KB

5. Tata Punch

Tata Punch is not my dream car per se, but I really love the micro/mini crossover concept. From the get-go I found the HBX/Hornbill concept super impressive. I must admit I am neither a great fan of Tata cars nor their after sales service, still the new chunky little Tata did strike the right chord for our family. We were on a hunt(which we still are) to replace our Alto K10 which is our second/third vehicle at home. Our must-haves aren't too complex- good looks, compact footprint, high ground clearance, quick and responsive engine.
Tata first disappointed me with the strange nomenclature, but the biggest disappointment remains the mediocre engine. Each time I spot a Tata Punch it excites me big time, but when I remind myself of the test drive I had, the excitement just dies down in a jiffy.

Name:  HBX.jpeg
Views: 715
Size:  100.0 KB

Image source- Google search.
All credits go to their respective owners.

So, here ends my tale for the moment. Fellow BHPians, I am interested to know yours. Thanks!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th May 2022 at 14:24. Reason: As requested
Emvi is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 20:58   #2
BHPian

re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

Lexus LS400 : Very recently while watching Scam 92, my dad who's an independent Loss Accessor for motor insurance said that in the early 90's, he was once offered a Lexus which was used in some embassy for about 4-6 Lacs. I literally banged my head to which he said that the spare parts were exorbitantly expensive and since his running is 100kms a day, fuel costs in that car would have been senseless. I respect his practical decision and he has invested wisely in real estate.

LINEA T-JET / ABARTH PUNTO : They were discontinued just about when my internship got over and i had recently gotten a government JRship. So yeah budget issues.

Skoda Rapid : I had almost zero'ed down onto the 1.0TSI AT, but then since my parents were considering a girl for me, so I ended up buying a preworshipped Altis CVT for a little prestige.

Toyota Liva/Etios : Primarily because of the way they looked. First considered in 2013 when we bought the Duster, then in 2014 when bought the Grand i10 and then in 2015 when we had booked it but that the last moment we ended up buying an Amaze. Trust me it would have been way better than buying an Amaze or a Grand, i regret my decision now.

Honda City Mk5 : Like the Rapid, that too was on the cards but spending 15L for a Honda City in my garage didn't make the slightest sense to me. I would rather buy a Seltos for that money. In my subjective opinion, it's the City moniker that doesn't appeal to me for that kinda money. Had they launched it with some other name and a bigger engine.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8 INVEX : The first car I bought with my savings was a Honda City ZX 2008 CVT in 2019 which i kept for 6 months. I was actually looking for an Automatic Lancer 1.8 Invex. But finding that thing is more difficult that finding God himself.

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-4367de5419ce445b9b69e593d9f5ccee.jpeg

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-c428167af2554f16b571b9af3f805fea.jpeg

OG Toyota Innova : Back in 2005, Innova was launched at about 8 Lacs. We had almost decided on it, when my dad bought a Viva CRDi instead. We just fell so much in love with its silhouette and that Torque Surge that we overlooked the best car India ever got.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 22nd May 2022 at 21:24.
dr.aviansh is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:47   #3

re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

Toyota Qualis.

I still yearn for that boxy MUV. So much that I had even written a mail to Toyota Kirloskar India in 2018 to reintroduce the same Qualis in India so that I can fulfil my childhood dream of owning that indestructible box.
Stardust is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 22:04   #4
BHPian

Gypsy King

I had the Gypsy (1000cc) and I wanted to upgrade to the King but the circumstances changed and I ended with a family car (Zen)..
attinder is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:43   #5
BHPian

HM Ambassador

Missing out on the amby is why I consider myself to be born a decade late. If only my parents had met in the 70s . Our family owned a black one when I was still a baby but sold it about a year after I was born, since we were going back to Oman after the gulf war ended. The next time I sat in one was in the mid 2000s when I returned to india. Always wanted to own one, and decent models are available in the 70k-1.5 lac range but issues with retest of old Diesel vehicles, parking space constraints and the difficulty of maintaining a 30-40 year old car has held me back. The coastal weather of kerala also has been brutal on these cars. Either way, there is nothing like cruising in the back seat of an ambassador. Sofa on wheels. I still stick my head inside open ambassadors when I am able to find one, a rare sight in urban kerala, and take a whiff of that interior smell. For those few seconds after that, I am transported back to the 90s
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-screenshot_20220522233314__01.jpg  

windrider is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think for me, it would be the Force Judo Dlx 4x4. I intend to buy the new gen with 5 door, which they will call as Gurkha! The cheapest lookalike of the G-Wagen!
amtak is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just 2 for me.

The 2003 facelift Lancer SFX. I was too young for owning one and I graduated when the 2009 Cedia Sports was discontinued.
Attached Images

Nithesh_M is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:23   #8
BHPian

Name:  C62AE95F96194D698E2435F230B461D1.jpeg
Views: 616
Size:  64.6 KB

I've forever salivated for my all time favourite - Tata Safari (from around the millennium). When I made so bold to have a test drive, a switch came off in my hand and so it remained a dream...

Last edited by RoadFiend : 23rd May 2022 at 19:25.
RoadFiend is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:43   #9
BHPian

For me one affordable dream car that never made my garage is the Endeavor. I've always found it to be one of the best large SUV's, and I like it even more than the Fortuner. But unfortunately at the time of sale, it was double than what I could afford, so had to give up on the dream.

I would love to get a used example, as 20 16 - 17 models can be seen anywhere around 20 lakhs, but I'm skeptical of reliability and parts availability since Ford has left India
TorqueMonster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:53   #10
BHPian

It was a Ford Freestyle 1.5L TDCi for me. Peppy engine, compact car- made it a wonderful driver's car to chuck around! With Ford making an exit and their BS6 diesels with DPF woes, this dream car never made it to my garage.
Attached Images

Nikhil Beke is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:53   #11
ike
BHPian

Linea Tjet. I was in the market for my first car and Tjet was available at massive discounts. But I chickened out at the thought of Fiat exiting and spare parts becoming scarce and got myself an S cross.
ike is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 00:18   #12
BHPian

2012 Safari Storme VX 4x4 in Astern Black.

It was 2011 , we were finally ready to add another car to our garage to partner our 2005 WagonR LXI.

For obvious reasons the Innova was our primary choice and while I had been a fan of the old Tata Safari I knew I wouldn't be able to convince my dad to pick that over the Innova.

January 2012, Auto Expo. The Safari Storme is revealed, now the problem here was the timing. The car was unveiled in January, I wasn't paying much attention to car magazines back then so I only got to know about the Safari Storme in early march 2012 and then came the 2012 Innova facelift aka the Type 3, arguably best the looking Gen 1 Innova. Within a year of purchasing the Innova I felt a bit down, first the amazing Safari Storme and it's 2.2 140hp Varicor Diesel and then the stunning Innova facelift. Less than a year after we got our Innova it started to feel massively outdated. To make things worse a lot of Type 3 Innova's and Safari Storme's were showing up on Bangalore roads in late 2012/early 2013 and despite our Innova being only a year old back then 8 year old me felt like everyone had been transported to the future with their facelifted Innova's and Safari Storme's and we were stuck in this "old looking thing".

Now it was 2013, a very close school friend of mine in school said that they were getting a new car. Didn't think much of it until the car actually showed up to pick him up from school. To my horror it was the EXACT car I wanted, a Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 in Astern Black. I'm not the jealous type but I will admit, that was the first and only time I cried because someone else had a car that I didn't. To rub salt into the wound it was maybe a 1 week old car at the time but it had already been kitted out with HELLA Rally lights, bull bars etc, they had even got some stickering on the sides the proudly said "Varicor 2.2" on either side of the car. Every time I saw that car I would die a little on the inside. I've grown to love our Innova but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't have preferred the Safari Storme VX 4x4.
Attached Images

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 24th May 2022 at 00:19.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 00:37   #13
BHPian

Interesting thread.

Dream cars which went out of production and never made it to our garrage

1. Honda city vtec (1st gen)
2. Maruti baleno (1st gen)
3. Palio 1.6
4. Ford Mondeo
5. Chevrolet forester
6. Honda Accord 3.0 v6
7. Octavia vRS (1st gen)
8. Gypsy king (soft top )

If i can mention some non affordable but still dreamy cars which are out of production :

1. Merc E (w124)
2. Bmw 5 (e90)
3. Jaguar xe (v8)
4. Vw Beetle (i wanted to buy a white bug, stick 53 and name it Herbie )
5. Audi a4 3.0tdi Quattro
6. Mitsubishi evo X
7. Mitsubishi Montero 3.2d
spkrnh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:27   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just like girlfriends, there were so many . But the one car that I absolutely lust for, the one which makes my heart skip a beat, is affordable, but still hasn't made its way to my garage is the 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar Diesel AT. Why?

- I already own a Jeep.

- I have 4 cars which have minimal usage, due to WFH. 2 of my cars are on trickle charging just to keep their batteries from dying.

- I have 4 cars which have minimal usage, due to brand new test-drive cars every week. In the last 2 weeks, I've fired up my 530d twice, and the Jeep once. That's it. I thoroughly enjoy driving 3 - 4 new cars every month, seeing where manufacturers have hit the bull's eye and where they have missed.

Last thing I need is to own a 5th car which will see almost zero usage and be connected to a battery tender. But when I see such posts (as from BHPian vvb8530 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)), I lose sleep for a night or two. I just love this Jeep way too much .

Name:  IMG_9589.jpeg
Views: 594
Size:  376.5 KB

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2022 at 10:29.
GTO is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 16:51   #15
BHPian

Re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Last thing I need is to own a 5th car which will see almost zero usage and be connected to a battery tender. But when I see such posts (as from BHPian vvb8530 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)), I lose sleep for a night or two. I just love this Jeep way too much .
I understand the sentiment behind this post, whenever I joke about selling the Innova and buying a Thar Diesel MT and I get dirty looks from my parents

The Thar is genuinly one of the best cars under 20 lakh, even the top of the line LX Diesel AT is just 20-30k over the 20 lakh mark and the LX Petrol AT is below 20 lakh and that's with Bangalore RTO rates.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks