Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:57   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

1st-gen Maruti S-Cross could be discontinued this year

Maruti may stop S-Cross, drive in SUV with Toyota.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India has decided to phase out its premium crossover vehicle, S-Cross, the first product to be retailed through its premium sales outlet – Nexa – way back in 2015
Quote:
the upcoming YFG is being touted as the Creta-killer and is likely to be launched during the festive season this calendar year
When contacted, Maruti Suzuki neither confirmed, nor denied the development.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd May 2022 at 11:59.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 05:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 1st-gen Maruti S-Cross could be discontinued this year

Maruti S-Cross could be discontinued this year - Post moved to a new thread.
Old 25th May 2022, 05:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Kinda sad to hear this. It was one of the rare Suzuki cars that had a European design element to it, courtesy Fiat. After MS got rid of the 1.6 MJD, the car somehow never recovered in terms of its value proposition.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 08:13   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Making way for the next-gen S-Cross?
Name:  77b63ba13ef442c7abbc17d3f77829aa.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  203.8 KB

I don't think Maruti would kill the S-Cross brand:

- It can & does sell 3000 / month.

- More importantly, Maruti needs additional products in the 10-15 lakh segment, where all the action is. The S-Cross has gained acceptance here.

- When the new-gen is available internationally, it's almost zero effort for Maruti to launch it here.

- Gives an additional product line to Nexa showrooms.

This news might be just for the current-gen S-Cross.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 08:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross could be discontinued this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
After MS got rid of the 1.6 MJD, the car somehow never recovered in terms of its value proposition.
What are you talking about? The car was not a value proposition just because of 1.6, it was 67% localisation with engine and gearbox imported from Hungary.

At launch, the 1.6 Alpha was retailing at 17 lakhs Bangalore. You can read the launch prices here (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review) in the official thread.

The price cuts came after Maruti decided to cut short the 1.6 adventure to 4000 pieces. Those 4000 pieces lasted almost 2 years, aargee brought his facelift 1.6 in March 2017 and when I enquired Popular Maruti in June 2017, it was still there.

Does this even remotely indicate 1.6 was a value proposition?
--
The S-Cross lost the looks battle first, then came the launch price disaster. That pricing disaster it never recovered from. The looks were fixed with the 2017 facelift, which lifted the monthly count to 2500 odd. Its been in the thereabouts ever since.

This was waiting to happen. Not too worried about it, since the parts bin is shared. If at all, should be worried about body panels years down the line.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 08:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1st-gen Maruti S-Cross could be discontinued this year

Why don't they discontinue the universally loathed abomination that S-presso is and let live the only car having some semblance of premiumness worthy of Nexa brand?
They have given it many deaths over the years by removing great engines and not giving better gearbox.
And the S-presso sells peanuts by MS standards any way.
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 09:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross could be discontinued this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What are you talking about? The car was not a value proposition just because of 1.6, it was 67% localisation with engine and gearbox imported from Hungary.

At launch, the 1.6 Alpha was retailing at 17 lakhs Bangalore.
Does this even remotely indicate 1.6 was a value proposition?
A car like the S-Cross deserved AWD, turbo petrol or an equivalent of 1.6 MJD. Not the run-of-the-mill 1.3 or the anemic 1.5 NA.
Old 25th May 2022, 14:42   #8
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I need your valuable inputs in buying our first car(automatic). Mods please merge or move the post if it's off topic.

At the start of this year we had shortlisted Ecosport & Polo as one of our next cars but then the rumours of ford shutting shop started and we put our purchase on hold. Then we started looking at Polo but could not get hold of one before it was discontinued.

I haven't considered Kia or Hyundai cars for there safety aspects. Decided not to go for xuv300 & nexon as they are AMT's and their ASS is a hit or a miss.

Now have narrowed down the search to S-Cross zeta version. I know lot of people have mentioned it's a 4 speed AT but after reading multiple reviews here I felt it should suffice my needs. In a year I may travel around 10k kms. Now with this news coming out should I go ahead with this booking as nearby Nexa dealer has promised a delivery within next 6 weeks or should I drop this car as it's reaching it's end of life. As I don't like changing things i would keep this car easily for 10 years atleast so I am confused if I should wait for the new brezza, The reason for not pursuing brezza is the wait times would be atleast 4-6 months at the time of launch.

So , Need your advise on whether I should go ahead with this purchase or look for which other cars.
Snowflakes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 15:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakes View Post
Now have narrowed down the search to S-Cross zeta version. I know lot of people have mentioned it's a 4 speed AT..
So , Need your advise on whether I should go ahead with this purchase
IMO, we are at a pivotal point in the life of S-Cross and waiting out all upcoming launches by Maruti would be wiser because
a) MS will probably launch next gen S-Cross which looks like an entirely new (and better looking) car compared to current one.
b) You are going to hang onto 10 years which is a long time. I personally would not want to get stuck with last of the generation old product that does not have anything exceptional going on for it. I mean its not a bad car but its not iconic in the way VW Polo is/was.
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 16:29   #10
th2
BHPian

Maruti's secret sauce seems to be VFM, service network and reliability. In that order.
The Indian consumer values these too it seems.

Sturdy build, performance, a design language (or dare I say, good design taste) doesn't seem to be in their DNA.

The S-Cross is one of their better cars. Hope they bring in the next gen and not replace it with yet another tincan.
th2 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 17:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
b) You are going to hang onto 10 years which is a long time. I personally would not want to get stuck with last of the generation old product that does not have anything exceptional going on for it. I mean its not a bad car but its not iconic in the way VW Polo is/was.
Thank you will try delaying the purchase by another month & wait for the new brezza.
Old 27th May 2022, 00:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to a lot of opinions on this thread, pretty happy with the 'run of the mill' 1.3 MJD on my S Cross facelift. The engine is great, does the job and is frugal. A practical car. Couldn't ask for more from a daily use vehicle.
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 14:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is NOT discontinuing Scross for the foreseeable future. I confirmed with the Regional Manager of Maruti/Nexa. He said that Maruti is not going to discontinue Scross at all because it is doing a very good business in its segment. In fact, they are worried about the sales of XL6. It is not selling in as high numbers as expected given its perceived premium offering and higher price than the Scross.

A facelift might hit the Indian shores around end of this year or end of first quarter of 2023.

Again, we need to take it with the pinch of salt and take the word of the RM, so do not quote me on this. But I do not think he has a reason to give false information.
Old 6th June 2022, 14:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
But I do not think he has a reason to give false information.
He may not be lying but the question is - is he even privy to such information? Sometimes it is difficult to say "I don't know"
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 15:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I do not think he has a reason to give false information.
Well he has a reason and a big one at that! i.e. He needs to get the remaining stock sold in case the car is discontinued. And in case the news of discontinuation spreads before the car is discontinued, it could be tough for them to sell the remaining stock. Also, the RMs and people on similar positions are generally not allowed to talk about future plans of the manufacturer!

That said, I am really surprised at his statement about the XL6!
Quote:
In fact, they are worried about the sales of XL6. It is not selling in as high numbers as expected given its perceived premium offering
That car is really doing fine in terms of sales. Sales of around 4k units isn't bad for a car that took just 100 crore for development! Sure it isn't selling as well as the Ertiga but then, the XL6 was only a more premium Ertiga (More like a Ertiga ZXI+) with minimal feature additions! The sales might improve now since there are higher number of variants and higher number of features offered.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 6th June 2022 at 15:12.
theAutomaniac is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks