Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 23:11   #271
BHPian

Clearly there will have to be some changes in the Skoda dealerships for dealing with a car at a different segment. These sort of prices for service will not work for the Fabia, even Octavia/Laura owners seem to be complaining all over the forums. Of course Skoda fans on the forums seem like they will happily pay any amount for 'the brand'.
Old 17th December 2007, 23:34   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
but busa i still maintain that Skoda is a better brand than toyota / honda
Skoda does not even exsist in America or Canada or SA and nor in F1. Its no way near Toyota/Honda, trust me, not even nea Ford
Old 18th December 2007, 00:10   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but busa i still maintain that Skoda is a better brand than toyota / honda
Skoda does not sell in the West, America, Canada, SA and also Skoda is not in F1. Leave Toyota and Honda, Skoda cant even hold a candle to Ford in terms of brand in all the countries except maybe India.

What can you expect from a car company which has just 3 cars and that also build on their parent companys car.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:38   #274
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Skoda does not sell in the West, America, Canada, SA and also Skoda is not in F1. Leave Toyota and Honda, Skoda cant even hold a candle to Ford in terms of brand in all the countries except maybe India.

What can you expect from a car company which has just 3 cars and that also build on their parent companys car.
i completely agree. skoda seems to have a 'false' snob/brand value in india, and its riding this high now. i dont see why an octavia should cost 13+ lakhs OTR...skoda is milking the customers in india for as long as they can. i hope competition will bring them back on track fast!

Last edited by NIP : 18th December 2007 at 10:39.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:54   #275

to each his own...
i agree with you ac427..it is indeed a better brand..but then everyone is entitled to an opinion..
Old 18th December 2007, 11:16   #276
BHPian

No spare parts sale counters from Skoda. So we are forced to source and service from skoda service only. I have a broken driver side window control switch and it costs Rs.6500+tax! I haven't changed still now. Is it possible to get it from outside?
Old 18th December 2007, 12:11   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

a history lesson.
1) skoda is the 3rd oldest car maker. That gives them a LOT of heritage.
2) Skoda did well in WRC with the Octi and with the fabia. If am not wrong there are ONLY 8 manufacturers in the circuit today.
3) Just for a clarification . . . internationally whatever. . in India they make better cars than Toyota and HOnda. That fact cant be argued. The only problem its go its not a mass brand and their aftersales SUCKS big time. And we are just trying to ape the westerns . . . because its not good there, its not good here.
I beg to differ on that. What performs for me. . .is a performer.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:48   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a history lesson.
1) skoda is the 3rd oldest car maker. That gives them a LOT of heritage.
You evidently have no idea of what happened to Skoda after WWII or choose to ignore that completely. Since we are on a history lesson, please do inform yourself about that too before you start on it's "Heritage". Before, the VW group took them over they had no image left, leave alone heritage.

Quote:
3) Just for a clarification . . . internationally whatever. . in India they make better cars than Toyota and HOnda. That fact cant be argued.
Why?? Because you say it can't be argued?? I think what they make is average stuff being sold at excessive prices backed up by poor service & exhorbitant spare parts prices. Let's talk facts shall we, not assumptions.

Quote:
The only problem its go its not a mass brand and their aftersales SUCKS big time. And we are just trying to ape the westerns . . . because its not good there, its not good here.
Huh?? I don't see it as a niche brand. It's present in 3 segments as of now with the product for the 4th segment coming out next month. If that is what you call niche market or "not" mass market, I suggest you re-evaluate the same. This brand is as mass market as it gets, it is by no means a niche brand. And anyway, every manufacturer has a duty to give the best possible sales & service be it a mass market or a niche market company, how can that justify poor service support?

Quote:
I beg to differ on that. What performs for me. . .is a performer.
Fair enough but please do not impose that on others by turning personal opinions into fact. We will continue to think what is right or wrong according to our parameters.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:03   #279
BHPian

its gettin hot in here!!

oh c'mon...is skoda,honda or whoever a part of your extended family? this is hillarious..like two kids fighting over whose JIJOE is better....
this thread, in the first place is about the fabia, lets talk about it..i mean that is a good enough subject to talk about,nahi??
Old 18th December 2007, 13:06   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
You evidently have no idea of what happened to Skoda after WWII or choose to ignore that completely. Since we are on a history lesson, please do inform yourself about that too before you start on it's "Heritage". Before, the VW group took them over they had no image left, leave alone heritage.
So what ???? It still holds the badge of being the third oldest car maker. I think give credit where its due. Bugatti got lost, Vincent got lost many greats got lost after wwI and WWII but that doesnt mean they are any less. And lets not get into who has 'any idea' about what happened to a particular brand. I am as ignorant as others in this forum.

Quote:
Why?? Because you say it can't be argued?? I think what they make is average stuff being sold at excessive prices backed up by poor service & exhorbitant spare parts prices. Let'ss talk facts shall we, not assumptions.
Agree. Its aftersales Sucks. But the cars are better. THe 1.8 scorched any petrol in its territory, and there has not been any competition to the deisel. The build quality of this car is Leaps ahead of any car in its category. These are Facts and not assupmations.

Quote:
Huh?? I don't see it as a niche brand. It's present in 3 segments as of now with the product for the 4th segment coming out next month. If that is what you call niche market or "not" mass market, I suggest you re-evaluate the same. This brand is as mass market as it gets, it is by no means a niche brand. And anyway, every manufacturer has a duty to give the best possible sales & service be it a mass market or a niche market company, how can that justify poor service support?
That they have messed up. Big time. Their aftersales is pathetic. i do agree.

Quote:
Fair enough but please do not impose that on others by turning personal opinions into fact. We will continue to think what is right or wrong according to our parameters.
this is an open forum to point individual pov, as we all think passionately about vehicles. . .i have not and will not try to influence and impose my thoughts over others, but yes i will put my point across.

cheers.

Last edited by ac 427 : 18th December 2007 at 13:07.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:17   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
i completely agree. skoda seems to have a 'false' snob/brand value in india, and its riding this high now.
For all those who are complaining about Skoda's false snob value, may I ask why Honda and Toyota have snob value and why are they considered premium car makers? Tell an American about the premium Honda Civic and he will get a heart attack right there. If Skoda can't be a premium car maker in India because it's a basic car maker in Europe then the same rules should apply to everyone right? In US, Honda and Toyota are like Maruti and Hyundai here, makers of basic cars that get people from point A to B in comfort. They are just beginning to push the envelope further with their new Camry's and Accords that boast of better looks and design, interiors, performance etc. Much like what Maruti is doing here with Swift, SX4.

Quote:
i dont see why an octavia should cost 13+ lakhs OTR...skoda is milking the customers in india for as long as they can. i hope competition will bring them back on track fast!
I don't see why a Toyota Camry should cost Rs.2.5 Million rupees! Or why should a Accord V6 cost 17 lakhs or a CR-V cost Rs.20 lakhs. Why should a NHC cost almost a million rupees for the VTEC version? Why should a Hyundai Sonata cost 12-14 lakhs?

Every car market is different. Prices also depend on tax structures. The Indian car market is still immature and it's still too small in volumes. For example, Honda sells more Civic's in one month in the US then it does in the whole year in India.

Last edited by amit : 18th December 2007 at 13:27.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:30   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

maybe this calls for a poll? Which is a better/premium brand in India: Honda, Toyota, Skoda?
Old 18th December 2007, 13:48   #283
BHPian

Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion but it does not necessarily give one the right to force his/her own opinion on others. AC427 may have some soft corner for Skoda but that does not mean that everyone likes Skoda or has had good experiences with them. Maybe as a company Skoda is good or better or best, but their dealers may be bad. We have a member on the forum who very recently had a very bad experience with a dealer of Skoda.

Skoda is a company who in India sell their average products at premium prices but that does not make their products niche or up-market.

Anyways, this particular thread is about a hatchback called the Fabia. We should not make it an opportunity to do a Skoda bashing or a Toyota or Honda or Tata or Maruti bashing.

Just my 2 cents. So don't start a Sumit bashing here
Old 18th December 2007, 13:49   #284

Hi all

Guys Ive had an Octi for 2 years & currently own a Laura I also own a Mercedes 220 which I use sparing a Lancer & a Swing I think it covers the range of cars YES the MERC turns the maximum heads but I mus say the Skoda has come a long way & in India the car commands respect. I can also tell you the the image of the car has done a major turnaround in Europe where the care is now seen extensively
Old 18th December 2007, 13:50   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
maybe this calls for a poll? Which is a better/premium brand in India: Honda, Toyota, Skoda?
Shouldn't that be re-phrased as "which car maker make good cars in India in the segments or price range they sell"? Again this might lead to "what is good"? Many people don't even consider the power, safety features, etc. as important. In any case, that will kick off a debate that is full of useful information.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed