Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 14:27   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
a history lesson.
And we are just trying to ape the westerns . . . because its not good there, its not good here.
Of course, if it is not good enough for US, which is the most fiercely competitive market, then it is suspect. Then sell it to 3rd world countries or in Europe where national level `protection, heritage, and pride' ensure that Renault sells in France, Fiat in Italy, VW in Germany/Germanic countries. These companies are national level champs but not global leaders. Unlike Toyota/Honda/Nissan, have these companies have been successful in fiercely competitive markets. The US does remain the leader in car technology launches, and a quality that sells in India or Europe may flop in the US.

VW/Skoda have snob value in Europe, but not in the US, where Phaeton had to withdrawn, because of VW's dubious and declining quality, no snob value (nobody wants to pay US$30000 upwards for a VW badge). Seen how nobody wants to pay Rs. 10 lakhs for a Hyundai/Suzuki).
Old 18th December 2007, 14:31   #287
Senior - BHPian

so the bookings started?

Skoda sure is overpriced, look at the OTR of Laura!
Old 18th December 2007, 14:38   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
For all those who are complaining about Skoda's false snob value, may I ask why Honda and Toyota have snob value and why are they considered premium car makers? Tell an American about the premium Honda Civic and he will get a heart attack right there. If Skoda can't be a premium car maker in India because it's a basic car maker in Europe then the same rules should apply to everyone right? In US, Honda and Toyota are like Maruti and Hyundai here, makers of basic cars that get people from point A to B in comfort. They are just beginning to push the envelope further with their new Camry's and Accords that boast of better looks and design, interiors, performance etc. Much like what Maruti is doing here with Swift, SX4.
Of course Toyota as a brand is eating the Detroit's lunch. Toyota's luxury brand is `Lexus' and that is also eating the Europeans' dinner and breakfast. From its start in 1989, it took Lexus a little over a decade to break 200,000 annual US sales, which it did in 2000. It broke 300,000 in 2005. That was the first time a luxury brand topped 300,000 US sales since Cadillac did it back in 1986. In contrast, Mercedes-Benz was roughly a century old when it broke 100,000 US sales for the first time in 1997.

See from Total US sales in 2006 of some major luxury brands which is the No. 1 luxury brand in the US:
Mercedes: 247934
BMW: 313939
jaguar: 20683
Cadillac 227014
Acura 137938
Infiniti 121146
Porsche 34227
Lexus 322434
Old 18th December 2007, 14:51   #289
BHPian

When I saw an update to this thread, I was hoping to get some information on *Fabia's launch date*. But, it appears that this thread is going is a different direction...
Old 18th December 2007, 14:53   #290
Senior - BHPian

Even the thread is redundant, since Skoda should not ethically start bookings and take money before a product is launched. I am sure Skoda is not doing so. Is is the late 1980s when one had to book a scooter years in advance.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:00   #291
BHPian

Valid point! In that case, wouldn't it be a prudent move to lock this thread unless more concrete information is available on Fabia's launch? Something similar to what was done to the Safari 2.2L thread when it went off-track.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:08   #292
Senior - BHPian

I have been following this thread for a long time and now tired. Some one please inform me when the Fabia is launched.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:26   #293
BHPian

Guys,
cool down cool down cool down.

By arguing as to which brand of cars, are upmarket or premium we are missing the point
just think, what is the title of this thread.
are'nt you guys fighting like boys with toys.

Have Skoda Fabia bookings started?
this should be discussed.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:29   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Of course, if it is not good enough for US, which is the most fiercely competitive market, then it is suspect. Then sell it to 3rd world countries or in Europe where national level `protection, heritage, and pride' ensure that Renault sells in France, Fiat in Italy, VW in Germany/Germanic countries. These companies are national level champs but not global leaders. Unlike Toyota/Honda/Nissan, have these companies have been successful in fiercely competitive markets. The US does remain the leader in car technology launches, and a quality that sells in India or Europe may flop in the US.

VW/Skoda have snob value in Europe, but not in the US, where Phaeton had to withdrawn, because of VW's dubious and declining quality, no snob value (nobody wants to pay US$30000 upwards for a VW badge). Seen how nobody wants to pay Rs. 10 lakhs for a Hyundai/Suzuki).
being sold in the US car market is hardly any achievement. Acc to me, the European Car market is the real acid test.

Acc to me, the NCAP ratings are much stricter than the US security ratings, emmission norms in Europe are even more stricter than the US market.

And not being sold in 'the america' doesnt mean the car is suspect, it might also mean they dont want to sell there.

And just to clear my stance, i am not here to say mine is bigger than yours or yours is bad, my point is Skoda is a good car maker and they are charging a premium, as they think they offer a better car and better value.

I buy their point.

cheers
Old 18th December 2007, 15:34   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
no even the top most varient has only 4 speakers. confirmed
8speakers for top end version it is confirmed.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:13   #296
BHPian

No more argument,guys who want to buy skoda Fabia do that.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:27   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
8speakers for top end version it is confirmed.
2 pair of compos + a pair coax + 2 sub?

nah, 3 way compos plus a pair of co-ax
Old 18th December 2007, 16:42   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
No more argument,guys who want to buy skoda Fabia do that.
having said so much, i think the GP will also be a great buy
Old 18th December 2007, 16:50   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Well... I was waiting for the Fabia. Bought the Swift because it was not here, nor expected for a long time. Still, I had some feeling that that German engineering and fitting quality would be so much nicer to drive...

This thread has given me second thoughts!!!!

I really don't know, now! I guess I'll go and look at it.

The launch date? Who knows? I guess we're as likely to see it in the newspaper advertisements, although someone here may bring us inside advance knowledge, I'm sure it'll get posted the minutes someone actually gets to know it!
Old 18th December 2007, 16:54   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
2 pair of compos + a pair coax + 2 sub?

nah, 3 way compos plus a pair of co-ax
Most likely just 2 pairs of comps: Four tweets, four midbasses = 8 speakers. In Indian Auto Industry marketingspeak.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed