Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2022, 12:35   #1
BHPian

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track

Hello BHPians,

I happened to attend the BMW Joy fest event held at Madras Race track on May 21st and 22nd . Wanted to share my experience with you all. I have also managed to make a video of my experience.

I was surprised to receive a call from BMW India asking me whether I would be interested to take part in the event? I did not find any reason for me to not attend. I said yes without a second thought. Then I was briefed about what the event is about and what I can expect. They informed me that I get to experience the sedans , SUVs , the Mini range and also the BMW Motorcycles.*I got super excited. I confirmed my availability*on 21st Saturday in the first morning slot itself*so that there won't be much rush.
An email invitation followed the short call.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-email-invite.png

And a confirmation call and email two days before the event. I was informed that I will have to carry a government*issued id proof and also the vaccination certificate.*

Reached the place more than half an hour before the slot I chose out of excitement. I was so thrilled to see the line of sedans*and suvs which we can choose to drive.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-cars.png

A good parking space allotted for guests.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-parking.png

They had done very nice arrangements of everything.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-setup.png
BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-main-1.png
BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-main-2-am.png

We were welcomed by the fastest BMW made in India , the M340i and a series of BMW motorcycles.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-340i.png

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-bike-1.pngBMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-bike-2.pngBMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-bike-3.pngBMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-bike-4.png

And a reception counter where you give your details like phone number and driving license, basically to verify your participation.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-registration.png

And on successful verification the person who will be driving will get to wear a black band and the people who accompanied you will get a white band to wear.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-blak-band.png

People just enjoyed taking pics with the massive 7 .

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-7.png

People who could not drive out on the track did manage to find an*alternative

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-game.png

A section showcasing the BMW lifestyle products and accessories. On that day they were being sold with good discounts.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-bmw-life-style.png

Great snacks and soft drinks were served to get refreshed.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-refreshments.png

We enjoyed the refreshments provided. And the event was flagged off with a briefing by the instructors on what we are about to do. We were instructed on how our seating positions are supposed to be inside the car, the things to keep in mind when driving on a track.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-briefing.png

Post briefing we went on to choose our cars. There were approx. 6 sedans and 6 suvs to choose from.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-choosing-one.png

We moved as a convoy with instructors in front*of each convoy directing over the walkie talkie placed inside each car. They addressed each car by number allotted for better communication.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-instructor.png

Once we were on the track, there were cones placed at different places. At some places there were only one and when there were two in some*places. The instructor explained why those were placed and what we are supposed to do when we reach them. The two cones indicated the place to start applying the brakes before the corners and at the next cone after that indicated that we should drive into the corner. The importance of making use of the whole width of the road and how we should be looking far to get an idea of what is about to come was also explained.
After a lap of briefing , we picked up speed and then we had real fun. Of Course the convoy had to slow down a few times, letting some cars in the convoy to catch up.*

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-mini-1.png
BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-mini-2.png

After that it was time to get into the pits to swap the car. I was driving a mini first and then I moved to a 330i . There was an X6 which I wanted to try out but since it was first come first serve basis , someone else was faster to reach the car than me :( .

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-car-swap.png

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-330i-inside.png

I was expecting some M cars to be there, but it was a shame they did not provide those this time. An M340i would have been real fun.*But it was a wonderful experience as a whole , I really enjoyed the track driving as it is not something you get to experience everyday. And with no cars coming from the other side , it gives you enough confidence to try and push the car.
Keeping the fun element aside, there was some great learning as well. Very minor things which we do not care about during our daily drives. Like , the importance of placing two hands on the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, properly getting seated with ideal head room and also the proper knee room needed for proper application of brakes.
After the convoy got back from the drive, had some refreshments, got the opportunity to meet some wonderful people.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-chat-instructor.png

Really had a wonderful time there at the event. A big thanks to BMW India for inviting me.

Finally signed off after providing feedback of the event.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-feed-back.png

And they did not allow us to leave empty handed . A nice laptop bag as a gift from BMW.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-token.png

Finally, If you have not read my article on my first car buying experience , please do checkout the below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...s-gt-630d.html (My first car is a BMW 6-Series GT 630d!)

Rachet is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track

A similar Joy Fest was organised at a Go-Karting track in Bangalore a few weeks ago. Not sure if someone has a similar thread.

It was super fun indeed. You guys are lucky to have gotten to drive on a proper track.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:49   #3
BHPian

I had also received invite for the one in bangalore but found it pretty lame. First huge disappointment was absence of any M cars to drive. Geez, you don't need to make me drive for an hour and then give an X1 to try out! If I wanted that, I could have gotten a test drive from the much closer dealer itself Then of course the tiny go-kart track which is not even worthy of spirited drive of a Wagon-R, much less a BMW car. Sure there were free snacks and goodies to be had but doubt that was a good ROI.
CosmicWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I had also received invite for the one in bangalore but found it pretty lame. First huge disappointment was absence of any M cars to drive. Geez, you don't need to make me drive for an hour and then give an X1 to try out! If I wanted that, I could have gotten a test drive from the much closer dealer itself Then of course the tiny go-kart track which is not even worthy of spirited drive of a Wagon-R, much less a BMW car. Sure there were free snacks and goodies to be had but doubt that was a good ROI.
Glad you missed it then. You would've been even more frustrated at M not being there.

M or No M - Loved the experience. The hard braking experience, The cornering experience. The friendly staff & trainers. The option to choose Mini Cooper / Countryman.

The Tiny Go-Kart was way better than driving around Lavelle Road/MG road.

FYI - The snack were indeed good and it was nice of BMW India to give a goodie. Use or no use of it - Upto individuals choices.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Good to hear about it and that you and other automotive enthusiasts had a good time. I have attended their events in NCR - once at the Buddh International Circuit ( BIC) which led me to buy the 320d in 2016 and another one last year in Gurgaon where I got to drift a mini convertible and drive the X3 as part of the drive event in a small enclosure. Agree with you they really organize such events well
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Thanks to BMW for giving a wonderful laptop carry bag as a Souvenir for taking part in the Joy fest. Unpacking the same and showing it to you all

Old 5th June 2022, 19:08   #7
BHPian

Participated in the event in Hyderabad today. Chicane circuit (the venue) was a familiar go-karting place.

Drove the mini and x5. Emergency braking and lane change, fast cornering on the track were fun.

Being a first timer, I liked the overall experience. Hospitality was very good overall (engaging guests, food, goodies, etc.)

I hope they bring their M cars next year.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-20220605_104924.jpg
Old 6th June 2022, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachet View Post

I was surprised to receive a call from BMW India asking me whether I would be interested to take part in the event? I did not find any reason for me to not attend. I said yes without a second thought. Then I was briefed about what the event is about and what I can expect. They informed me that I get to experience the sedans , SUVs , the Mini range and also the BMW Motorcycles.*I got super excited. I confirmed my availability*on 21st Saturday in the first morning slot itself*so that there won't be much rush.

I was expecting some M cars to be there, but it was a shame they did not provide those this time. An M340i would have been real fun.*But it was a wonderful experience as a whole , I really enjoyed the track driving as it is not something you get to experience everyday. And with no cars coming from the other side , it gives you enough confidence to try and push the car.
Keeping the fun element aside, there was some great learning as well. Very minor things which we do not care about during our daily drives. Like , the importance of placing two hands on the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, properly getting seated with ideal head room and also the proper knee room needed for proper application of brakes.
After the convoy got back from the drive, had some refreshments, got the opportunity to meet some wonderful people.
Very nice! I happened to be there at the Joyfest on that evening with my wife and we had our fair share of fun too. Too bad we missed each other and had we known earlier, it would have been fun to catchup. I drove the Mini Cooper the first 4 laps and Switched to X5 for the other 4. Had loads of fun and the Madras Race track did proper justice to these cars. Man the X5 surprised me with the handling on the Apex!

The only thing that we sort of frowned at was wannabe and boy racer kids who ran to grab the cars as soon as the instructor announced. That part could have been handled through a queue or something.

All in all a great event that was well organised with good atmosphere, display of vehicles, good snacks and a goodie bag.

BMW Joy Fest 2022 | Madras Race Track-20220521_174954.jpg

Behind the Wheel of the X5 30d
Old 6th June 2022, 12:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Very nice! I happened to be there at the Joyfest on that evening with my wife and we had our fair share of fun too. Too bad we missed each other and had we known earlier, it would have been fun to catchup. I drove the Mini Cooper the first 4 laps and Switched to X5 for the other 4. Had loads of fun and the Madras Race track did proper justice to these cars. Man the X5 surprised me with the handling on the Apex!
There is always a next time . We shall definitely meet then . I wanted to get hold of the X6 but like I mentioned in the post, someone was fast enough to get hold of it before me :( .
Rachet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:32   #10
BHPian

Is there a way to rent a car at Madras race track? I will be visiting Chennai next week and want to know if there is a way to experience some nice cars on the track.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks