Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2007, 21:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Suzuki SX4 DDiS: Is it coming anytime soon?

Its clear that the SX4 will redefine the Indian Market for a long time. It is a wonderful product backed up by the best service network in the country.

However, as seen from the Swift story, a good petrol car has been matched by a fantastic diesel. The 1.3 DDiS is a dream.

My friend is upgrading from his old zen. His father is sure to buy only a diesel. Looking at a mid- sizer with a boot. Of the lot, liked the SX4. But they'd prefer waiting a bit if the diesel is coming out anytime soon.

Please share any updates on the launch of the SX4 diesel:

1. Engine configuration? Is it going to be 1.3 DDiS with VGT? or the 1.9 DDiS?
2. Any idea when it will hit the market?
3. Comparing the specs, will it be another success story like the swift DDiS?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2007 at 21:33.
Old 17th June 2007, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

crazy

you can forget that car for about six months atleast. if i could be right both 1.3, 1.9 might be available. one for cost conscious users, another for power conscious users, but i see the 1.9 coming in late. it could be either 1.3 or 1.9 alone too. maruti has major problems delivering its share of swifts and sx4 petrols. there is hardly any capacity to compete with a diesel. and maruti has to first analyse the customer response to the petrol before deciding on diesels.

however, maruti has strictly said its very commited to diesel vehicles, and swift is a step in that direction. i would surely think the sx4 will come with diesel as well sooner than later. but not for atleast six months surely.

any maruti car is always a success, except maybe estilo. so yes the sx4 (or shall i call it cusomter oriented, rectified from past mistakes sx4 diesel) would be a big hit. if the car corners optra diesel magnum, dont be surprised! if petrol could pip the honda city, then why not diesel with the magnum !!?
Old 17th June 2007, 22:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

SX4 Hatch launched in Dubai. 2.0 Litre with VVT, 143 bhp, AWD. Dhs.60,000/-
Old 17th June 2007, 22:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

The 1.3 would hit the fiesta 1.4 hard.The 1.9 would hit the skoda 1.9 rider harder.people would buy the skoda only for its snob value,..and well..safety.

@geek-Ah the optra,..well this would be the 1.9's main competition.But both being priced similarly the optra should do well

Last edited by binz : 17th June 2007 at 22:34.
Old 17th June 2007, 22:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
crazy

any maruti car is always a success, except maybe estilo.
I beg to differ on this

The list of Maruti failures

1000, Gypsy, Versa, Baleno, Estillo.

I am hoping that SX4 is a success and they come out with a 4WD version soon, which I will buy. A car that offers 190 mm ground clearance with 205 tyres is meant for city + offroading. 4WD would augment that image. But we are not so demanding on features. We are just satisfied with great looks and dependablity.
Old 17th June 2007, 23:07   #6
BHPian

Hey Steeroid any pics of the hatch? The figures look awwwwesome...

@Sudipto
Agreed they maybe called failures (Not Estilo though. I hate to admit but this car somehow HAS managed to do well), but it would be better to call most of them "lesser" successes than the normal Marutis, bombarding the market.

Just because their selling numbers are less doesnt mean that they have bombed. They have faired pretty well according to the 'Demand' in that particular segment/niche (Versa, Gypsy).

Last edited by ess_a : 17th June 2007 at 23:14.
Old 17th June 2007, 23:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I beg to differ on this

I am hoping that SX4 is a success and they come out with a 4WD version soon, which I will buy. A car that offers 190 mm ground clearance with 205 tyres is meant for city + offroading. 4WD would augment that image. But we are not so demanding on features. We are just satisfied with great looks and dependablity.
Gypsy was never a failure and neither was 1000 coz they brought in esteem as a replacement to compete in the market. Estilo still sells around 3k units per month and they eventually written off baleno with good number of sales

But ya Versa and Baleno were a faliure.
Old 17th June 2007, 23:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont believe the D SX4 will be launched any time soon. To say Maruti have production constraints with the P SX4 and D Swift is an understatement
Old 18th June 2007, 01:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
people would buy the skoda only for its snob value,..and well..safety.
If they come out with the 1.9, it will probably be under 10 lakhs with airbags and ABS. Not something Skoda can match.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I beg to differ on this

any idea when the four wheel dry version willl be available??? let me know if you have any furthur info
Old 18th June 2007, 16:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

As per my dealer. NO SX4 DDiS in the near future. It will be coming after 1.5 years with a 1.3L DDiS 90bhp and not a 1.9. The 1.9 engine is solely for the Grand Vitara.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:47   #12
BHPian

Maruti will skim the cream by selling the Petrol SX4 first and might launch the diesel version after a year. The same old strategy used with Swift. When Swift was launched there was a waiting period of 3 to 6 months, now they offer the same car with Rs.20,000 discounts + accessories !The diesel version is expected to be the same 1.3 L tuned with a higher power output than the swift DDiS. Fiat Liena is launched in other markets with the same engine.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well, MUL cannot produce enough cars ( swift & sx4 ), they have more than a months waiting on the swift d, I shudder to think waht will happen if they bring out SX4 D, you can book it & then take delivery after maybe 6 months. lol . On a seriuos note I do not think MUL is going to release it before next year, although engines have already been finalised.
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:16   #14
BHPian

Suzuki Sx4 with with the award winning Marutis 1.9 DDiS Engine is going to rock the Indain roads if it comes sooner
Old 24th June 2007, 11:14   #15
BHPian

I don't there is a possibility in the near future...Even if they launch it soon I think MUL will have lots of issues with delivery... I think MUL is having their hands full increasing their production capacity for now....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks