Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Magnite bookings cross the 1 lakh mark

Nissan has announced that it has received over 1 lakh bookings for the Magnite, since it was introduced in India back in December 2020.

Nissan Magnite bookings cross the 1 lakh mark-1-19.jpg

The Nissan Magnite was launched with a price tag of Rs. 4.99 lakh (ex-showroom), as a rival to the Maruti Vitara Brezza, Tata Nexon, Kia Sonet and Hyundai Venue.

The crossover received 32,000 bookings within the first month of its launch. By January 2022, Magnite bookings had crossed the 78,000 mark. In March this year, Nissan rolled out the 50,000th Magnite from its factory near Chennai.

In India, the Nissan Magnite is powered by a 1.0-litre naturally aspirated petrol and 1.0-litre turbo-petrol motor. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and CVT.
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite bookings cross the 1 lakh mark

How are they selling so many units , I checked it out and it's build quality is really bad . No offense to any owner but how are there vehicles holding up ??
Hawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 22:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good to know. Hope the recent good performance in GNCAP rating(4* with stable bodyshell) gives it some boost considering our market is slowly warming up to the idea of safe cars and not just frugal ones.

It has a pretty great engine transmission combo already. Guess it’s high time they bring in a midlife facelift with better interiors and gain some more market share.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 07:18   #4
BHPian

Not surprised with this. It looks amazing, engine + transmission options are good, interiors are acceptable/nice. Have driven the turbo and I liked it. All it missed AFAIC was a diesel engine, if it had a diesel, I might have also taken a more serious look at it. But regardless, great effort by Nissan in their own 2.0 strategy.
SaiSW is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 07:50   #5
BHPian

With no offence to owners/prospective buyers, I think the success of products like this is not good for the health of our auto industry. This has prompted even carmakers known for build quality to deviate from their core competency. The notion that anything will sell in India as long as it is a SUV shape with good features will spread, resulting in lemons made exclusively for the Indian market. Just my 2 cents.
Indepth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
How are they selling so many units , I checked it out and it's build quality is really bad . No offense to any owner but how are there vehicles holding up ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
With no offence to owners/prospective buyers, I think the success of products like this is not good for the health of our auto industry. This has prompted even carmakers known for build quality to deviate from their core competency. The notion that anything will sell in India as long as it is a SUV shape with good features will spread, resulting in lemons made exclusively for the Indian market. Just my 2 cents.
I mean yes there is cost cutting evident in some areas and that is the reason for it being priced substantially lower than its rivals but there is nothing fundamentally wrong in the build of this car making it unreliable/not useable or being a taint in Indian car industry, for one the safety is 4 star which is a rare sight this side of 10 lakhs, even Creta costing almost double is a 3 star car. Then you are getting proper CVT automatic and turbo at acceptable prices plus both these cars (this and its Renault version) are lookers.
I really don't see the issue?
More options in any segment are good and I don't see this as a half baked effort either.
Rocketscience is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:49   #7
BHPian

Magnite is a superb car no doubt. Good build quality, nice gearbox & engine options are VFM for the price they are offered at, but unfortunately it did not live up to the expectation and it has nothing to do with the quality of the car, but a lot to do with the Nissan leadership (maybe global).
I can see the PR agency is trying very hard to keep the car relevant in the market, but this whole tagline of 1 lakh bookings since December 2020 is misleading. How many of these bookings got translated to actual sales? I am sure there might have been many cancellations post the Punch launch The car is barely selling 2000 units a month at an average, which is very low number for a good capable car. If Nissan had at least 3 more competitive products like the Magnite, the overall numbers would have been completely different. No company can do business with just one good product, it wont just have the necessary footfall in the show room. Toyota learnt it the hard way and finally took to badge engineering strategy which worked wonders for them.
ArTigor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 11:02   #8
BHPian

Magnite has everything to make it a success. Good engine, transmission, 4-star safety rating, looks and a very high VFM factor. It deserves all the success.
But I hardly see any Magnite on roads. Hope, the bookings are getting translated to deliveries.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Just as Magnite celebrates 1 lakh number, they are now in news for pulling out the two variants.

News - https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...486171649.html
Old 6th June 2022, 11:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nissan has axed two variants XV Premium and XL Turbo CVT of the Magnite off its lineup
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite bookings cross the 1 lakh mark-286142115_1182561179172189_7300960533287800079_n.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 14:34   #11
BHPian

I have been owning a Magnite Turbo XL for the last 14 months now. Its a very good value for money sub-compact SUV with a combination of good engine and gearbox. Though there are some cost cutting in terms of dashboard quality and say door knobs, these are frivolous points to look over quite a good car. Build quality is quite decent and the Turbo model is quite fuel efficient despite being a turbo petrol. My car gives 14.5- 15kmpl regularly in Kolkata city with AC. (tankful method calculation).

The news about Nissan discontinuing the two models- namely XL Turbo CVT and XV Premium Turbo are actually slow sellers as people generally moved to XV Turbo CVT if they were looking at XL Turbo CVT due to more features compared to others. However the credibility of the source of the news should be taken with a pinch of salt since the person (mentioned in Rushlane news link) is known to give false information on different Facebook auto groups.

Even if the news stands true, I would say it is a good move to axe models which arent so popular or are very slow sellers. Nissan is slowly trying to change its fortunes in the highly competitive Indian car market with Magnite primarily and with Kicks. I have heard from sources in Nissan India, they are going to bring a new product soon.

Last edited by swiftvxi06 : 6th June 2022 at 14:41.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 14:48   #12
BHPian

I really wish they bring in a couple more products. The reason this sells lesser than it should is customers doubting if the company would stay in India in next five years. With Datsun's exit, this is necessary to build the confidence in the brand.

Nevertheless, Kudos to Nissan on launching a sane priced sub 4m SUV. Hope it sells more.
Benoit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 09:51   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
How are they selling so many units , I checked it out and it's build quality is really bad.
In the value-for-money segments, one cannot have everything! Unlike many of its competitors, the Magnite offers you a butter-smooth CVT (no jerky AMT) and a 4-star GNCAP safety rating.

While the cost-cutting is obvious, the Magnite does deliver on the important stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
With no offence to owners/prospective buyers, I think the success of products like this is not good for the health of our auto industry.
More players = enhanced competition = better products for us customers. The Magnite tried being "different" and clearly succeeded. Not every car has to follow the same formula. IMHO, the Magnite does make for a compelling proposition - looks, smooth AT, safety, features, turbo-petrol etc. My only worry would be around the after-sales service of Nissan, and the CVT's long-term reliability.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 09:16   #14

In a mass market like ours if a manufacturer tries to break the clutter and succeeds it should be celebrated. Competition would force the incumbent to be more thoughtful too.
abhi162 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 11:14   #15
BHPian

This is really good news for people like me, who apprehensively bought the Kicks hoping Magnite's success would not send Nissan the Ford way.
This is still to be taken with a pinch of salt though. I believe one of the many reasons for Magnite's success has been the lower waiting periods in comparison to the rivals ( specifically from the MSIL and Korean stables ). With such high demand and semi conductor issues plaguing the industry, Magnite's waiting too has been steadily increasing and is now close to 4 months.
Yes the vehicle ticks most of the important boxes with a 4* safety rating as an additional feather in the cap. But Nissan itself as a brand still does not immediately register with prospective buyers. Nissan now should focus on regular availability and can also consider an alternative ( perhaps a Magnite based sedan ).
Looking at the VAGs latest launches' success and subsequent issues cropping up, it would be an ideal time to bank on the Magnite's goodwill. All said and done, Nissan is Japanese, who are still known to make the most reliable cars on the planet.
The Kicks 1.3 Turbo engine with CVT would be a hoot and a half in a low slung sedan.
ShreyG is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed