Team-BHP - Sonalika group unveils upgraded multi-utility vehicle
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Sonalika group unveils upgraded multi-utility vehicle (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/25277-sonalika-group-unveils-upgraded-multi-utility-vehicle.html)

Sonalika group unveils upgraded multi-utility vehicle

Staff Reporter
The new MUV is priced between Rs. 5.85 lakh and Rs. 6.96 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)

NEW DELHI: The Sonalika group, well known for its tractors, on Thursday unveiled the upgraded version of its multi-ulility vehicle (MUV) `Rhino Rx,' manufactured in technical collaboration with the U.K.-based Lotus Engineering.
Equipped with 100 bhp Rover diesel engine, the MUV, priced between Rs. 5.85 lakh and Rs.6.95 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) and available in three variants, would be launched across India by September. The company is busy expanding its dealership network to 200 to aggressively sell its new vehicle.
The new vehicle is being manufactured by International Cars and Motors Ltd. (ICML), a Sonalika group subsidiary, at its plant at Una in Himachal Pradesh. Initially, the company plans to sell 2,000 units a month. The earlier version of Rhino, launched about two years ago in select cities of North India, has been selling around 200 units a month.
Speaking at a press conference here, Sonalika group Chairman L. D. Mittal said the new vehicle had been competitively priced, as it was being manufactured at a tax-free location and the company had decided to pass on the tax benefit of over Rs. 1.50 lakh per vehicle to its customers. "We are also looking at exporting Rhino Rx to African countries, besides neighbouring Nepal and Bangladesh,'' he added. On future plans, Mr. Mittal said the group would be investing over Rs. 1,100 crore in the next three years towards capacity expansion, setting up of a greenfield tractor manufacturing plant in South India and development of a new sports utility vehicle that might be launched in the next couple of years. The company will be expanding the MUV manufacturing capacity at Una to 60,000 units from 24,000 units annually.

Like do we have a pic for this?

Looks like the engine change is the only significant improvement but from what I hear....Sonalika is working hard toward the fit and finish. The market void left by the Qualis' departure is still not exploited fully, and there is definitely potential.

But Sonalika needs to address the availability factor also. More dealerships, service stations and presence.

here are some pics..

Wow, this Rhino looks great :). This should prove a good competitor to the Sumo.

For a minute I thought, they have grafted the Fiesta's interiors into a Rhino. Reverse engineering ki jai ho.

Looks like a Qualis replacement, good power too. Tourist sector has been crying ever since Qualis was stopped.

Sonalika Group | Products | Product Detail

Well seeing their earlier effort, this is a massive improvement. Apart from the weird steering position, it looks quite spot on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 700112)
For a minute I thought, they have grafted the Fiesta's interiors into a Rhino. Reverse engineering ki jai ho.

lol:

They shape is what lets it down.

They should have just bought the rights to an obsolete/superceded MUV rather than wasting money on designing this Qualis rip off.

Pretty bland interiors. The steering wheel position doesn't seem to be very ergonomic.

not bad at alll if the competition increases the more benefits are attained by us

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 700134)
Looks like a Qualis replacement, good power too. Tourist sector has been crying ever since Qualis was stopped.

Sonalika Group | Products | Product Detail

True, but the Qualis was a great hit because of its engine. A typical Toyota it just ran and ran with little maintenance but can we say the same about the Rhino.

They have mentioned that its a Rover diesel engine, but since Rover itself in no longer in existance do we know that they really got it from Rover? If they did, then its probably an older engine and I don't think it will stand up to the toyota engine for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 700112)

I wonder if they sourced the dash from BYD ;)

Showroom has been opened at Erode, Tamilnadu .. I am going to check it..Not sure whether they god a TD vehicle..

A better choice would have been to go to Izuzu or some Japanese outfit for a dependable diesel Motor.