Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2004, 01:22   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]but that?s what you started it for GTO!
C'mon, give your admin a clean sheet. LOL

Jokes apart, This aint a Hyundai vs Honda issue at all. The two co-exist very peacefully in the global markets, and if anything...they push each other into raising the bar even higher. Buttttttttttttttttt hyundai does help in making the Japanese car makers keep their prices in check. And Honda...well...always manages to make it engines that much better.

Look at where Hyundais quality was in the 90's, and look at the Hyundais of 2004. There is such a MASSIVE improvement in quality. Hyundai probably improved so much coz there was that much space for improvement whereas Honda and Toyota were already at the top. But mark my words, in a decade not one single person will be able to say that Hyundais quality is a compromise on the Japanese.

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 03:22   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 13 2004,23:52)]C'mon, give your admin a clean sheet. LOL
Well it seems thats the only way to get your word on the topic!! LOL !
Old 14th May 2004, 11:58   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]also, V12, in what i have quoted above, i think you have left out the crucial figure!!

Oops. My mistake, rehaan. 354 people out of the total 528 people chose the sonata.
Old 14th May 2004, 12:14   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

See guys, Hyundai makes one of the best affordable cars in India. Hyundai offers more option and vfm than any other car in its segment. Thats why it sells more than Maruti or Honda or Ford.

The reason why Hyundai sells in India is because people in India look out for More car per rupee. I'm sure even if I had a tight budget [which I'm sure every car buyer has], he wudnt look at the name of the company.

Hyundai doesnt sell in the US cos the US people have been encouraged to buy ONLY American stuff since WWII. If you go to see, even American cars arent that great. Not one bit of technology [except for the latest ones]. You want more power , they increase CCs. Nothing great.
Old 14th May 2004, 15:03   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hyundai doesnt sell in the US cos the US people have been encouraged to buy ONLY American stuff since WWII.
On the contrary, V12. The United states alone accounts for apprx. 35% of Hyundais worldwide sales figures. In fact Hyundai is now planning to open up a fully fledged manufacturing facility in Alabama within the next 12 months.

Americans are very motivated to buy american, but not when the product does not prove worthy of a purchase. The best selling sedans for the last 10 years have been the Accord and the Camry, both at 4,00,000 units per annum each. If there is one area where the american big three dominate - its the trucks. The Ford F150 has been the single largest selling vehicle for a while now.

GM and Ford have been losing market share massive. They have had to resort to painful 0% financing and 0 down schemes to get the customers into their showrooms.

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 15:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of Hyundai in the US market, does the term "10 year bumper-bumper warranty" mean anything??

It may have something to do with boosting the sales of their cars!
Old 14th May 2004, 15:29   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Speaking of Hyundai in the US market, does the term "10 year bumper-bumper warranty" mean anything??
Dosent exist..period. They offer a 5 year bumper to bumper, and a 10 year coverage ONLY on the powertrain.

Warranties, in effect, only communicate how confident the manufacturer is in its own products. Free repair can bleed almost any mass manufacturer and a 5 year warranty is no longer considered a big thing. Chevy in India offered a 4 year warranty on the Optra during a special promo. Heres the Team-BHP linky

If you shell out a small amount, Honda will offer you a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty on their Indian products. I have my Vtec covered by a three year unlimited mileage warranty. Bumper to Bumper.

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 15:58   #23
Team-BHP Support

wait....I didn't mention the catch...the warranty is NOT transferable! And how many ppl you know in the US that keep a car longer than 3-4 years???! I don't think there is a car producted today that can't reliably run for the first 3 years of its life. (i'm talking in the US mind you). So even taking into account the few odd cases of major mechanical problems, Hyundai is sure to rake in the moolah from ppl attracted to the cost free operation of their cars. And maybe they have reduced the warranty, but I know they did have that 10 year going for a while.

Anyways, I'm not downig Hyundai, just pointing out a fact on what could be the reason they sell pretty well in the US.

in India, their quality is up there near the top for sure, atleast in the sub-C segment cars. Somehow, the plastics and the designs look extremely dated on the Sonata and Elantra. infact, IMO, the Elantra looks like it was made in the 1980's, both inside and out, and the only reason it'll sell is that CRDi engine.
Old 14th May 2004, 15:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

hey there is a 4 year warranty(rs 2700 extra) on zen and 3 years on indica
what abt that??
Old 14th May 2004, 16:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

I know when we got the Skoda, they offered the "extended Warranty" too. But on a closer inspection, it turned out that this was actually a deal between an Insurance Company and the dealers! You pay 10,000 for an extra 2 years! Then, if anything comes up, its treated like an insurance claim. Ridicualous if you ask me.

Not sure what kind of warranties you guys got, but I'm sure they couldn't be as bad as what the Skoda guys were trying to sell!
Old 14th May 2004, 16:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the only reason it'll sell is that CRDi engine.
I agree with you rtech . The CRDI engines are a real marvel and the Accent CRDI is the only Huyndai I find good in the current lineup. But for one if thers one Hyundai I'm loooking forward to literally is the Getz. That will be sold with CRDI and if Hyundai get the pricing right which they usually do thats one car which will surely shake up the market.
Old 14th May 2004, 16:21   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] it turned out that this was actually a deal between an Insurance Company and the dealers!
My extended warranty is directly from Honda. Even a friend who bought an 800 from Sai Service got a Maruti extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]wait....I didn't mention the catch...the warranty is NOT transferable!
Only a part of the story. The 5 year bumper to bumper warranty is fully transferable now, to subsequent owners. However its the 10 year powertrain warranty that is not transferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]but I know they did have that 10 year going for a while.
I believe so too. Dont remember that well, but I think Hyundai was offering an extended plan to cover their vehicles bumper to bumper for 10 years/100000 miles. At an extra fee ofcourse.

GTO
Old 15th May 2004, 01:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

hey
gto i think it was in mid 2000, that bumper to bumper policy, coz i remeber clearly my neighbour buying one because of that policy it self,
Old 20th May 2004, 19:11   #29
snoopy41

Am sorry to add fuel to this debate but the only reason *that *Hyundai clicked in India,,and again this is only my opinion,,was because they got that Shahrukh Khan* to *appear as brand ambassador

Old 16th March 2006, 18:23   #30
BHPian

well, i think that honda is a much better option then hyundai..
one of my uncle bought hyundai elantra and within a month its break system broke down... honda is superb...honda has got a real resale value but its not the case with hyundai...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks