Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2004, 00:00   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ever wondered why you see so many Santros and Accents on the road? Its simple...Hyundai has offered the Indian consumer with dollops of value - High Quality, Excellent levels of customer service, moderate levels of technology and big time reliability.

Heres the latest from the JD Quality survey sourced from a Car and Driver article

Hyundai has beaten the germans in reliability, and is on par with Honda in the game. The Koreans have always promised 95% of Japanese quality at more realistic prices. Hyundai has slowly and steadily been bridging the gap between its products and that of the Japanese competition. This just proves that the koreans are the ones to watch out for, arent they?

Manufacturer Problems/100 vehicles

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. 101
American Honda Motor Co. 102
Hyundai Motor America 102
BMW of North America 116

INDUSTRY AVERAGE 119

General Motors Corp. 120
DaimlerChrysler 123
Subaru of America Inc. 123
Ford Motor Co. 127
Mitsubishi Motors North America 130
Volkswagen of America Inc. 141
Nissan North America 147
American Suzuki Motor Corp. 149
Kia Motors America 153
Porsche Cars North America Inc. 159

Source: J.D. Power Quality Survey

GTO
Old 10th May 2004, 00:39   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I think, Hyuandai in future might become comparable to Honda but as of now its not.

The only reason i think this report shows Hyuandai at par with Honda is because of the tastes of the people who buy Hyuandai, they normally don't have the same taste for cars, as a honda owner.

On one side the honda owner is looking for a perfect car, the hyuandai owner looks for VFM.

I also think that if you exchange the cars Honda Owner gets Hyuandai and Hyuandai owner gets honda. The ratings for Honda will remain same while hyuandai will fall.

P.S.: No offence to Hyuandai owners and I might not be right at all, but thats what i think.
Old 10th May 2004, 00:55   #3
BHPian

The graph:

Source: JDPower
Old 10th May 2004, 23:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honda and Toyota are famous for their revv happy and hi-tech engines. It's good to know that Hyundai is getting better at build quality.

But like SLK said ""On one side the honda owner is looking for a perfect car, the hyuandai owner looks for VFM"".

It's still Honda for me though.

Regards....
Shan2nu
Old 11th May 2004, 15:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

besides does a person who drives a porchse drive the same was as a person who drives a hyundai? in my expereince the same human if put behind the wheel of a porche, BMW, etc... will drive more aggressively (driving the car harder) than if he was driving a honda (sedan), hyundai, toyota.

some wise person on this forum had an equation for performance/price/reliability.
Old 11th May 2004, 17:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ May 09 2004,23:09)]P.S.: No offence to Hyuandai owners and I might not be right at all, but thats what i think.
SLK,

good you added this disclaimer urself

~A
Old 13th May 2004, 00:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

hmmm.....strike one for hyundai!
Old 13th May 2004, 10:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ May 12 2004,23:18)]hmmm.....strike one for hyundai!
is hyundai pitching or batting?
(assuming we are playing baseball )
Old 13th May 2004, 11:22   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai's quality levels are on par with the Japanese counterparts.

Its all in the minds of the people that Hyundai is low on quality and is a cheap car. Well it is to some extent. If Hyundai never copied designs of other car manufacturers it wudnt have been in the bad books of many auto enthusiasts. But thats a different case.

In the US, Hyundai conducted a "Brown-Bag" Test that had 2 cars, a Sonata and a Camry, completely wrapped [except windows] so that you cudnt make out one from the other. Out of the 528 people who test drove both the cars chose the Sonata as their fav car.

So even though majority picked the Sonata over the Camry, the Camry still sells almost 5-10 times more than the Sonata. Its all in the mind.
Old 13th May 2004, 12:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 13 2004,09:52)]So even though majority picked the Sonata over the Camry, the Camry still sells almost 5-10 times more than the Sonata. Its all in the mind.
u hit the nail on the head rehaan, hope this helps in reducing the excessive hyundai bashing on this board to some extent

~A
Old 13th May 2004, 12:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 13 2004,09:52)]Out of the 528 people who test drove both the cars chose the Sonata as their fav car.
Hey Adityapd,

That was V12 you quoted.
I share the same viewpoint as well, especially since i own an accent *
I have said numerous times on this board that the quality of interiors and ergonomics of the accent are way better than any car in its class, and IMO better than some of the cars from higher segments.
Only thing lacking in the accent is the engine (and suspension).

also, V12, in what i have quoted above, i think you have left out the crucial figure!!

cya
R

Old 13th May 2004, 15:30   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 13 2004,11:04)]Only thing lacking in the accent is the engine (and suspension).
That is the only reason ONE buys a honda. If you are ready to ignore this, you don't need a honda.

Ask the people who bought honda, why not the Accent Tornedo?

For those people who bought Honda just for the sake of honda, could have used the korean, but those who are out there looking for the engines, not just the 0-100, but also the long life of the engine, they'll never compromise by buying the Hyundai.

What say honda owners?

Old 14th May 2004, 00:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 13 2004,09:20)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ May 12 2004,23:18)]hmmm.....strike one for hyundai!
is hyundai pitching or batting?
(assuming we are playing baseball *)
hehehe
pitching dude!!!!!!!

ps:rehaan u into baseball???
Old 14th May 2004, 00:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 13 2004,09:52)]In the US, Hyundai conducted a "Brown-Bag" Test that had 2 cars, a Sonata and a Camry, completely wrapped [except windows] so that you cudnt make out one from the other. Out of the 528 people who test drove both the cars chose the Sonata as their fav car.

So even though majority picked the Sonata over the Camry, the Camry still sells almost 5-10 times more than the Sonata. Its all in the mind.
hey v12
what abt in india, would this apply here to???

and looks like the way its going this site might soon become into two big groups! pro honda and pro hyundai!!!!!!

u know what the way hyundai is prounced in us kinda like"hundae" sounds a lot like honda!!!1

and guys those who are saying bad engines
please go and drive the detroit diesel crdi!!!!!

abt suspension , no comments as i really dont know any thing abt that area

ps:leaving aside the usa market , please tell me where else the hyundai brand has failed to click???????

ps2:hey all u delhi guys, is it true that u are getting hyundai sonata v6 second hand ones for 5.5l to 6l?
Old 14th May 2004, 01:15   #15
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well when we talk of Hyundai and Honda (or other Japanese), Diesel engines don't have much role to play.

I am against Hyundai not just for performance ... I say durability is also a issue.

And I see everyone is avoiding this topic as this normally turns out into a big battle field!!... but that’s what you started it for GTO!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks