Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 10:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Cops in Bangalore: Well, they are scared of BMTC-Drivers, Taxiwalas, Autowalas, Sand-lorry drivers... So, I wouldn't be surprised if they are scared of Army guys too!
Hehehe...... And the poor out of state motorists are scared of them!
Old 19th June 2007, 10:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Probably because of 2 reasons in Bangalore :
1. The state is very strict on collecting LIFE TIME road tax on the out state registrations. Army and Centre govt employees are exemted from this rule. However I wonder why they display ARMY and not any gate pass stickers and how genuine is this ARMY stuff...anyone can do that. My friend stuck any ARMY sticker on her car to avoid the road tax, excuse - her uncle is in the force in N India
2. To avoid harassment of the Cops. They believe that cops are scared of Army guys, wonder how much thats true...and why should they be?

i think you've hit the nail on the head.. once in poona my friend was pulled over in his green kinetic honda.. the cop asked if it was army bike and was going to let us go before my nut friend said no
Old 19th June 2007, 11:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
The state is very strict on collecting LIFE TIME road tax on the out state registrations. Army and Centre govt employees are exempted from this rule.
I dont know why this discrimination is there. Its not just central govt employees and Army men that are transferred frequently. Even employees of private organisations are transferred. We live in a strange country!!
Old 19th June 2007, 11:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I was wondering that a few people with connections in the armed forces have 'ARMY' prominently displayed on their bikes/cars

What do these people intend to convey? Even though they may be in the armed forces, the vehicles are generally privately owned!

Apart from that, there is also a trend of putting stickers of Universities on the windshield/rear window...

Quite often I see..... Oxford University, Stanford University, Illinois University, IIT-Bombay and so on....
Old 19th June 2007, 12:12   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Cops in Bangalore: Well, they are scared of BMTC-Drivers, Taxiwalas, Autowalas, Sand-lorry drivers... So, I wouldn't be surprised if they are scared of Army guys too!
Ask me !! I am living proof of such discrimination which i had to face, for not going around on a killing spree with a 3 wheeled contraption.

<Exhausted both my smileys there. Wish I could add a few more !!>
Old 19th June 2007, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Cops do not harass Army/lawyers/press/doctors/govt officials
guess they are scared!!

Have taken the benfit of "Press" being written on my car (used to work for a publication earlier)

I got away scot free from cops couple of times for signal jumping & drunken driving(i know i was wrong)

But those were the days.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well 1st of all vehicles with army stickers are never pulled aside by the cops. Atleast with my driving exp' in bangalore. An old frend of mine had a battered 800 the car used to rattle so much, a hanging rear number plate and what not.

Not once has my frend/me been pulled aside by the cops. We were 18 then and used to drive the car around.

His dad used to be in the army.

With the govt vehicles they have a green strip on the number plates. Lucky chaps again.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
In chennai, bikers would put POLITE on their number plates to confuse the cops.
On a lighter note, in Kerala POULOSE(mallu version for Paul me thinks)sounds even more close to POLICE.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:11   #23
BHPian

So basically the objective of putting the ARMY sticker is to get out scot free after committing a crime?
Old 19th June 2007, 13:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Club stickers are necessary if you want to park your car inside the club premises/parking lot. Most clubs don't allow even a bona fide member's car without sticker to be parked inside.
In Calcutta there was a time when special stickers for accredited journalists were planned to be issued by Police, because even employees in normal printing presses were writing Press on their vehicles, not to speak of the marketing guys and other non-journalists in newspaper houses (who are not supposed to get any special prvilege on the road). However, that plan did not materialise.
Calcutta recently clamped down heavily on the use of red light in vehicles of so called VIPs. Virtually everyone in Calcutta is a VIP, including the clerks who carry VIP briefcases for their "lunch box comb and morning newspaper" to Writers Building. Also the colour red is quite acceptable to the ruling party. So the red lights on VIP vehicles are still there but below the bonnet level.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Apart from that, there is also a trend of putting stickers of Universities on the windshield/rear window...

Quite often I see..... Oxford University, Stanford University, Illinois University, IIT-Bombay and so on....
As long as those stickers are not on the number plate, there is no offence.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
On a lighter note, in Kerala POULOSE(mallu version for Paul me thinks)sounds even more close to POLICE.
This was made famous by a Malayalam movie in which one of the characters had a Mahindra which had POULOSE written in the same font as that employed by the cops. When viewed from afar, it did resemble POLICE. In the movie itself, the vehicle is pulled up, and a cop/SI asks him to remove the name from the vehicle.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:46   #27
BHPian

another side of it which has been completely ignored in this thread is that the young captain who's just returned from action zone to peace time duty wants to tell the whole world beware there's a JOHN RAMBO driving around in that car ie.say Zen/800.............ha ha
Old 19th June 2007, 16:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

ARMY stickers are strictly prohibited to be used on personnel vehciles by army officers. (saying so because bro is a airforce officer and bro-inlaw is a army officer, when i asked them about it)

I have seen them many times when being questd by cops for RC papers etc or any toll nake...they just pull out their ID's and show to the questioning persons. ID takes care of the things

Cheers

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 19th June 2007 at 16:20.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I dont know why this discrimination is there. Its not just central govt employees and Army men that are transferred frequently. Even employees of private organisations are transferred. We live in a strange country!!
Don't know about Central Govt. employees, but you have no idea of the pain Army people go through in their transfers.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:44   #30
BHPian

Is there a law against/for putting stickers/signs on your car? Except the visibility clause about the glass?

Sign reading "K.P"? We in malluland always thought the K.P. on the shoulders of the cops in Kerala is them calling out one of their favourite insults to the reader.

I want to design a stylish "IT" sticker and stick it on my Fiesta (when I get enough time from my job!!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks