Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 17:51   #31
BHPian

I've seen a lot of bumper stickers in bangalore that say "It's not what you drive, it's where you park". Found out recently that it's for the residents of Diamond District (large apartment complex off Airport road). Thought that was pretty cool.
Old 19th June 2007, 17:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I was wondering that a few people with connections in the armed forces have 'ARMY' prominently displayed on their bikes/cars

What do these people intend to convey? Even though they may be in the armed forces, the vehicles are generally privately owned!
Army / Defence personal private vehicles are free from all tool taxes.etc,
SOmetimes inside the defence campuses they are easily recognized...
probably thats the reason they display it...

My Uncle is a Colonel in Army and my uncle-in-law is a Wing Commander in IAF, both their priavate cars has Army and Air Force writen on it...

Once We took our uncle-in-law to drop him at his base, IAF station in Sulur from bangalore...My car was also fred from paying the Rs 25 tax at Krishnagiri just by showing the I-Card of uncle....

These defence enjoy lots of priveleges u know...
Abhi
Old 19th June 2007, 18:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

These defence enjoy lots of priveleges u know...
Abhi
But we enjoy peaceful sleep every night thanks to them I'd say it's a fair exchange
Old 19th June 2007, 19:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
But we enjoy peaceful sleep every night thanks to them I'd say it's a fair exchange
Thanks. I don't know why there is so much ill feeling towards the defence folk.
Old 19th June 2007, 20:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

My father-in-law retired from the army last year, as a Colonel. His 1st car,an 800, had ARMY written on the front and back windshield. He got a Fiesta for himself last year,but he didn't put up the ARMY sign,since he had retired by then.

The main idea of putting up the ARMY/AIR FORCE sign, is to make sure that when an armed forces personnel moved from 1 state to the other,the cops there don't harrass him/her. These personnel are allowed to maintain the initial registration number, so that they don't have to keep changing the car plates every 2-3 yrs,when they get posted out.

Hats off to the Armed forces... !!
Old 20th June 2007, 08:42   #36
BHPian

The thing is, are we talking about official Army stickers (I doubt they hand those out to put on private vehicles) or just stickers purchased from the bazaar which say "Army"?

Even though the latter couldn't possibly have any legal weight, I guess that people (including policemen) unofficially/psycologically view it as "Army-related vehicle".

I wonder, though, if anybody has seen a "Go Army" type sticker. I don't think that could be viewed as claiming to be Army when you are not.
Old 20th June 2007, 09:36   #37
BHPian

By ARMY I am referring to those self-cut stickers and not any official sticker by any regiment or department.
Old 20th June 2007, 12:21   #38
BHPian

[quote]I've seen a lot of bumper stickers in bangalore that say "It's not what you drive, it's where you park". Found out recently that it's for the residents of Diamond District (large apartment complex off Airport road). /QUOTE]
I have seen that stickers on ALL the cars parked in the Diamond district residential complex.
Old 20th June 2007, 12:27   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Thanks. I don't know why there is so much ill feeling towards the defence folk.
Some recent incidents involving them in the news makes one take a slight dislike to them. I specifically remember an incident where some jawans in a train bogey went on to harass a woman. Sorry i cant provide a link to the article or anything, but they do stick in memory.

Guess i'm going off-topic here. Apologies.
Old 20th June 2007, 13:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Jawans not behaving properly is different and officers are a different thing, i dont think we have the right to point at their privelages, its them who work hard day and night to insure we can sleep peacefully.
Old 20th June 2007, 13:49   #41
BHPian

Look no one here is pointing towards their privileges. All I wanted to talk about was the fact that why do some privately owned vehicles (owned by officers/jawans/generals/etc.) flash the word ARMY so prominently on the back or front of their cars. With MY experience, these are generally put up to create a sense of fear and get out scot free after a crime or violation.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:12   #42
BHPian

An army sign is not official unless it is issued by the quartermaster of the regiment (so to speak), and as far as I can see, no such stickers are issued in the Indian Army. So, the stickers we see around have no legal significance.

Are they illegal? I don't think so. There is no law prohibiting display of your personal information on your own automobile. Probably the only law that can control it is the obsenity/public decency concepts.

Some people display the name/logo of their company on their cars. Army need not be different.

Can a non army person put an army sticker? Simple answer is Yes. But if the person uses that to actually misrepresent (like not paying toll, or not paying tax) THAT is illegal. It is illegal even if the cop made an assumption, without the person making an explicit claim.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
flash the word ARMY so prominently on the back or front of their cars. With MY experience, these are generally put up to create a sense of fear and get out scot free after a crime or violation.
While the police is justifiably scared of an Army retaliation, trust me, the Army has its own courts and ways to put things right. A police complaint is generally lodged and depending on the severity, a punishment is meted out by the Army. And mind you, the punishments are not very pleasant.
Old 20th June 2007, 19:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Doctors displaying the sticker or the + sign is acceptable as it becomes very easy to identify and ask for help in an emergency. But who needs a lawyer or a defence personnel, press or police? They simply flaunt their association to gain privilege.

Interestingly I've never seen any private car displaying Navy or Air-force. It is only the Army guys who do this. Any particular reason why so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
If Lawyers & Doctors can have their respective profession related stickers on their car , then I dont see why defence people cant.
I can understand doctors having it on thier cars since they need right of way at times!.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:39   #45
BHPian

@gd1418:
That's exactly what I was wondering. Why only ARMY people want to exploit this privilege. The Air Force and Navy guys should also prominently display from now on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks