Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 23:10   #61
BHPian

hi Guys
I read quite a number of posts on this topic. I am an Army officer and my car sports my Regimental Logo and Army written on the back. Also a punch line "Artillery - God of War". I want to clarify that not all vehicles have fake stickers, specially of army. An army officer's vehicle can be easily identified by the way it is maintained. If he's an old timer, he might be having a M800 and if he is a youngster he might be having a Santro, Indica (as in my case). generally a Punjab number (cars cost cheap from punjab thru CSD). Any case the cars will be well maintained.

And this inhibition that it gives you extra privilege is incorrect. A police wala will certainly stop the car but its only after you reveal your identity that he backs off with respect. (atleast they do sometimes!)

Further it works only in cantonments or where people recognise your vehicle.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

I ve seen mainly thane and bhiwandi registered cars driving with 'POLITE' written behind.Its written in kinda small leters so its mistaken for 'POLICE' and they almost get away with anything and if they are caught they have nothing to worry as they have written 'POLITE'
Old 13th February 2008, 01:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhondusaxena View Post
If he's an old timer, he might be having a M800 and if he is a youngster he might be having a Santro, Indica (as in my case). generally a Punjab number (cars cost cheap from punjab thru CSD). Any case the cars will be well maintained.
As mentioned,my FIL has a 1997 M800,that still looks really good.Years & years of meticulous maintainance. And he retired from the 100 Field Regiment,ART!
Old 13th February 2008, 14:21   #64
BHPian

Another common trick in Bengaluru, is a red sticker proclaiming "PEACE" .

The font , color , position etc will be similar to that of official "POLICE" sticker

Such a sticker on a Standard Bullet will fool the majority of people in the first glance.
Old 13th February 2008, 17:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

Let them put it is there wish nothing can be done by discussing this over here.

Crazy guys play these tricks
Old 4th September 2010, 11:33   #66
BHPian

ARMY sticker

Well I'm in the army and i do have a sticker each on both windscreens (about an inch tall cut out in white). and the reason i have it is probably my pride in my organisation. but now, seeing the negative responses here - and i do take team-bhp opinion quite seriously - OFF IT GOES! as it is, it tends to get one into more trouble with cops than getting one let off !! as it is, once you've been stopped by a cop, it's unlikely he's going to go around reading stickers - he'll probably be talking to you / challan-ing you. and NO, it doesn't stop you from getting stopped. not by cops, and not by the Toll Booth guy either. both times you have to (choose to) tell them who you are!
Old 4th September 2010, 13:53   #67
BHPian

I don't find any problem in displaying sticker's from the organization to which you belong. Why Army is pointed out here and not others. Main concern should be when stopped by Police/other authorities one must be able to justify the pasted sticker or not. Concerning crime committed with these vehicles ,then I think, that can be done using any other influential sticker.

N.B. : Statements purely based on my feeling and not for hurting others sentiments. My Father also retired from Army.
Old 4th September 2010, 14:30   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhondusaxena View Post
And this inhibition that it gives you extra privilege is incorrect. A police wala will certainly stop the car but its only after you reveal your identity that he backs off with respect. (atleast they do sometimes!)

Further it works only in cantonments or where people recognise your vehicle.
Correct, as i was reading through the posts on this thread, i could only laugh at the naive and ametuer comments by some of the members, i have an army sticker on all my cars and an Artillery logo on my NHC.

1.Helps gain access in cantonment area without showing the card every time.
2.Army personnel owned vehicles driven by army personnel (even ex-servicemen) have the liberty of not paying toll tax at toll booths, the sticker helps recognizing the car and saves the fuss of taking out the card and explaining the toll booth guy everytime.
3.Army officers/their children ARE proud of their affiliation with the Indian army, and there is nothing wrong with a small 3" sticker in the windshield.
4.In my opinion it is one of the most respected professions as of date and the cars owned and driven by officers also deserve 1% of it

Plus @ thread starter, why does it bother you SO much ? that you create a thread ranting about it ?
Old 4th September 2010, 15:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Plus @ thread starter, why does it bother you SO much ? that you create a thread ranting about it ?
+1

Ridiculous comments from some about "John Rambo" and the like. You know why some are scorned as Civilians? Because they have NO clue of what a service officer/JCO/OR's life is like. Oh, they'll watch the movies and feel proud for a few minutes, but hold on to their blind and narrow-minded belief that all Army-men drink a lot and every day, and that they are power-hungry, rigid, and stiff. This I find offensive.

With five generations in the forces before me, I still do not have Army written on my car, I never use the CSD facilities that my Father and Sister are entitled to, I've only once stayed in a Mess after my father retired, and I've never told any policeman that I'm in the Army just to get out of paying a fine.

What is funny is that people think that all officers will say things like "chaps", "tally-ho" and "my foot" in every sentence, regardless of the context.

The only government organisation in India that deserves respect (and a LOT of it) is the Defence Forces (Army, Navy and Air Force). If defence personnel want to display their affiliation (without gaining anything by doing so), then what's other people's problem?

I've seen the "Polite" and police colours here in Bangalore too, and stickers with Doctor/Press/Lawyer written (or symbols), Police written on privately registered vehicles, MLA, MP, DM, etc. There are many with just a green strip along the top of their number plates with Govt. written, and the most ridiculous: Ex-MLA or Ex- something else.

Most of these are either fake, or illegal - because it is illegal to put anything apart from the Number on the number plate, and in the standard colours. And the politicians (and Ex) don't get me started on them.

So, again, what's the rant about "Army" about? What's your problem?

Last edited by VeluM : 4th September 2010 at 15:09.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2010, 15:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Going one step further - I have seen special license plates for veterans in US. I think that its totally justified. Same should happen in India.
We civilians do not have a problem when someone is in the army/navy/airforce, and is proud about it by displaying their affiliation.
We have a problem when someone tries to leverage undue advantage by sticking that small sticker - like park at no parking, overtake from left, make a u turn at no-u-turn and the likes. And that goes for not only the army, but all institutions and personnel like MP, MLA, doc, press etc.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:04   #71
BHPian

I do not find anything wrong in merely showing affiliation through these stickers. When I started noticing Doctor sticker for the first time I thought it is for identification in case of an emergency on the spot. Later I noticed lawyer and even engineer. Nothing wrong as long as it is not misused.

The only identification I hate to see is party flags / party affiliated pictures on wind-shields which are normally used to bully around, avoiding paying tolls etc. I have had personally been affected by these party flagged vehicles many times.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 4th September 2010 at 17:06.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:44   #72
BHPian

comes out of a mistaken impression that the army sticker will prevent harassment and other such. There was one dude whose father had done a SSC and gone on to civil service and yet when the son bought a bullet, the ARMY stickers were plastered priminently all over.

He still got stopped every night at University Circle to be checked for drunken driving!

Quote:
With five generations in the forces before me, I still do not have Army written on my car, I never use the CSD facilities that my Father and Sister are entitled to, I've only once stayed in a Mess after my father retired, and I've never told any policeman that I'm in the Army just to get out of paying a fine.
well Velu, while i deeply respect this, i must say you come under the exception rather than the rule.

My folks never let me paste the sticker on my bike or car either though I think I must confess I would like to have it on my bike atleast! And AROMI facility is a nice thing to have while it lasts.

Last edited by COUGAR : 4th September 2010 at 18:48.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Why army, come to TN and you will find stickers proudly proclaimimg "Police", "Advocate", "TNEB" etc. - on the number plate! More than pride in their occupation, it is a subtle message to the traffic cops IMO!
Old 4th September 2010, 18:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why army, come to TN and you will find stickers proudly proclaimimg "Police", "Advocate", "TNEB" etc. - on the number plate! More than pride in their occupation, it is a subtle message to the traffic cops IMO!
Same in WB also.
Even yellow plate vehicles (which means they do not even belong to the police/govt - just rented on a long term basis from an agency) has 'police' and 'WB Bidhan sabha' stickers.
Recently one actress turned MP was stopped by police after she had super dark tints on her MUV (guess it was a rented innova) - her justification was it is 'mostly' her who rents this car and her 'fame' coupled with her status of an MP necessitates the dark tints (on a rental?)

Last edited by blackasta : 4th September 2010 at 18:52.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

Its all about taking pride in who you are. Whats wrong in proclaiming it? I wonder whats the use of this thread? Displaying Army on the windscreen though I admit has become so common that I just have the logo beneath the front number plate but majority of Officers prefer displaying it in alphabets than the logos. Plus it helps to identify fellow officers in times of need , think about it as displaying the team bhp stickers. It helps you getting identified as being one of them when needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks