Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 22:03   #76
BHPian

Plus atleast i have never heard of any army officer trying to gain undue advantage with police etc. And i am pretty sure an Army officer who IS the most disciplined gentleman citizen you can find living in our society, will seldom break laws. Though there are some officers, but they are very rare and they usually dont get away with corruption.
Old 4th September 2010, 22:24   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why army, come to TN and you will find stickers proudly proclaimimg "Police", "Advocate", "TNEB" etc. - on the number plate! More than pride in their occupation, it is a subtle message to the traffic cops IMO!
+1

sticking "G" in private cars is an offense here but still people do it for that matter even press cannot by stuck by everybody.

Press can be stuck only if you are a reporter or have a govt authorized press card.But my friend who works in an national news channel in sales dept has stuck it !

Actually ARMY can be stuck only if they are in service else it has to be ex-army
Old 4th September 2010, 22:42   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Correct, as i was reading through the posts on this thread, i could only laugh at the naive and ametuer comments by some of the members, i have an army sticker on all my cars and an Artillery logo on my NHC.

1.Helps gain access in cantonment area without showing the card every time.
2.Army personnel owned vehicles driven by army personnel (even ex-servicemen) have the liberty of not paying toll tax at toll booths, the sticker helps recognizing the car and saves the fuss of taking out the card and explaining the toll booth guy everytime.
3.Army officers/their children ARE proud of their affiliation with the Indian army, and there is nothing wrong with a small 3" sticker in the windshield.
4.In my opinion it is one of the most respected professions as of date and the cars owned and driven by officers also deserve 1% of it

Plus @ thread starter, why does it bother you SO much ? that you create a thread ranting about it ?
Valid points cruiser. I would add one more! As the son of an ex-Army officer with two brothers being in the Army and Navy, I can say that servicemen need to put the sticker on their automobiles for another big reason.
They are transferred to far-off places from their previous places of postings every three years or even earlier in case of any emergencies. Now the state traffic police and RTO people being what they are, frequently stop cars and bikes bearing registration of other states to try and trace outlaws or make hay while these number plates shine.
An Army, Navy or Air Force officer cannot pay one time state taxes in every state they are transferred to.Cars and bikes with such stickers make the state govt people realise that they cannot either find outlaws inside such cars or astride such bikes or make hay with these number plates.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2010, 23:50   #79
Joy
BHPian

I find it strange a mere ARMY sticker is attracting so much attention, after all these guys gave their best part of their lives for us. But nobody is pointing any fingers to the politicians who has self imposed themselves at par with big corporate levels now drawing a annual salary of Rs. 60 lakhs p.a. without any strings attached like performance. accountability, etc. and they are asking for more (i.e. Rs. 80 Lakhs p.a.).

If and if only India made it mandatory like some western countries that one has to serve some part of his life in one's country defense services, then only we can truly understand the values and hardship these people put to make India a lot better and safer place. If in return, some of them wants to proudly proclaim themselves as ARMY, NAVY or AIR FORCE, I think they have every right to do so. At least, I don't find it to be objectionable.
Old 5th September 2010, 00:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

In Gujarat, many people are sticking a red tab on top of number plate. And many sticks a "PRESS" Label.

In Delhi i have seen many pasting a sticker that are used by police mainly (blue and red).

I think most of them do such things as a feel good factor that they will getaway with challans etc.

One thing i wanted to point out is that, I was driving a friends gypsy to Surat, and i have always adorn a semi -crew cut. So i was not charged once on all those booths thinking it was a defense vehicle.
Old 5th September 2010, 06:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... "Police", "Advocate", "TNEB" etc. - on the number plate! More than pride in their occupation, it is a subtle message to the traffic cops IMO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Same in WB also.
Even yellow plate vehicles (which means they do not even belong to the police/govt - just rented on a long term basis from an agency) has 'police' and 'WB Bidhan sabha' stickers....
I'm sorry to have to say this - but it takes a soldier to understand the feelings of one...

Putting us in the same league as MPs, 'Bidhan Sabha' members, Policemen, Advocates and Electricity Board Workers is not really justified. The army happens to be an organisation that runs (and wins battles) PURELY on camaraderie and loyalty to the group (or section, platoon, company, battalion...) If a serviceman SAYS that he's doing something PURELY out of a feeling of 'belonging' - I believe the country can grant him the liberty to do so. The Indian Armed Forces do more good than bad (even though the media likes to make everyone think otherwise)!
Old 6th September 2010, 06:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Its all about taking pride in who you are. Whats wrong in proclaiming it?
There is nothing wrong in taking pride in who you are or proclaiming it.

However when someone with half a connection to the army puts those stickers up it is cause for some worry.
Old 6th September 2010, 07:12   #83
BANNED

Dear all , Just think/imagine about terrorists /criminals taking disadvantage of THIS practice.

It is Time to set things right ,the Army guys should make some system/authorization to prevent missuse/false representations .

Personally I dont see any wrong in this practice ,if a genuine Army Guy displays it ,Even for whatever reasons.

I personally know some high ranking armed forces people (serving & retired ) who never written this on their Private vehicles.More than that it was a surprise for me when they told me about their profession .( they didnt find a need to show it off )

I think 50% of people using this sign are not Genuine service people.It has become a showoff trend .

yours Sudarshan
Old 6th September 2010, 07:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
I'm sorry to have to say this - but it takes a soldier to understand the feelings of one...

Putting us in the same league as MPs, 'Bidhan Sabha' members, Policemen, Advocates and Electricity Board Workers is not really justified. The army happens to be an organisation that runs (and wins battles) PURELY on camaraderie and loyalty to the group (or section, platoon, company, battalion...) If a serviceman SAYS that he's doing something PURELY out of a feeling of 'belonging' - I believe the country can grant him the liberty to do so. The Indian Armed Forces do more good than bad (even though the media likes to make everyone think otherwise)!
+1 to that.

Having been closely associated with the Armed Forces due to the nature of job my dad had, I can vouch for the belonging part.

One should come to Hyderabad to see to what ridiculous level this sticker business has been taking. Many Govt servants put sticker "On Govt Duty" on their personal cars.The new trend every small time politician also advertising his/her post on the numberplate.

Lets eradicate that system first before taking a dig at the Armed Forces.

My 2 paisa.

Cheers
Old 6th September 2010, 09:38   #85
BANNED

Using a sticker showing your profession is completely ok in my opinion.

But, misusing that sticker or your profession is what is wrong.

Also, the police need to understand that routine checking/screening should be impartially practised(Which I know will never happen).

Coming to ARMY stickers, the ARMY today certainly has more gentlemen compared to any other profession and hence I d rather bear with an ARMY sticker on a civilian car compared to a PRESS, ADVOCATE, MP,MLA, CHAIRMAN and the like.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:00   #86
BHPian

I would say, if the stickers have a message then its all fine; rather than just being written as ARMY, POLICE, NAVY etc.

2 of my vehicles have defence stickers. My Gypsy has a sticker on the rear which states "Join the Indian Navy" and the car that my dad uses the most has a sticker on the windscreen stating "Navy Veteran" as he is an ex-Naval Officer.

Cheers,
Old 6th September 2010, 12:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
I have the greatest respect for men in uniform. But the problem is, we can't disallow the stickers for the other groups who also put up such stickers (Police, advocate etc). I beg to disagree that it shows just the pride in their fraternity and is to be treated like TBHP bumper stickers.

It is a fact that a traffic policeman will think twice before approaching a car with Army/police/Advocate stickers, even if it violates traffic rules. And I can't help feeling that was the intention of the stickers in the first place. Why else don't we see stickers like "Accountant / Banker / Teacher" etc? Because there is no mileage to be gained from them.

Last edited by Gansan : 6th September 2010 at 12:38.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:51   #88
BHPian

Both my cars (Honda City & Tata Safari) have dozens of stickers (Not ARMY written on the windscreen) from various cantonments wherever my dad has been posted. I must say that i have never tried to misuse them for any reason, if i am not stopped by the cops because of these stickers then i feel lucky, but i have never deliberately made an attampt to prove that i am different from others. Infact i get invites to attend the rebublic day parade at india gate every year and the invitation card has a special sticker for VIP parking, but i have always removed it after using it for that ocassion.
Needless to say that i am proud to be associated with the armed forces because of my family and would never disrespect it for anything.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:38   #89
BHPian

Reading through the discussions , and putting in my thoughts. I think being proud of an association is not a bad thing but using it for personal gain is.
I understand that Govt servants are transfered across states , and paying road tax for each and every state is not possible . But if stopped by police why not show you ID card rather than display "On Govt Service" on your personal vehicle.
Association with an armed force regiment is indeed a proud thing , so why display ARMY/NAVY/AirForce on the windscreen , rather put the regimental flag sticker on the windscreen.
I as a ordinary citizen get agitated when my car gets pulled over if I break a rule, but a stickered car goes scot-free. And I am saying this from a personal experience. I gave a piece of my mind to a traffic cop when they did not lift a bike with "Police" sticker from a No-parking zone. As somebody said in a post above the only reason why people do not put a "SOFTWARE ENGINEER" sticker since it does not have any leverage and on contrary may be fined even more presuming a fat salary. The rules are restricted to only things like taxes etc.
Old 7th September 2010, 10:50   #90
BHPian

Hey Come on Guys!!! Its perfectly fine to have these stickers on your car representing what ever you want to represent.

How many of us have Team-Bhp stickers on our cars? Huh? I know I do. So, what's the problem if someone has a

Now think about that!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks