Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 13:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

I think many of us have lost the essence of this thread.

While we are okay with Army & Ex-Army personnel's vehicles with ARMY sticker.

We are not okay with Civilians putting the Army sticker on their vehicles or PRESS sticker or whatever other impersonations may it be.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:45   #92
BHPian

My intention of starting this thread in June, 2007, was not to hurt the sentiments of anyone, here or elsewhere. All I wanted to bring to light was the practice, at least in my city, of various individuals who arbitrarily paste the word "ARMY" prominently on their PRIVATELY owned vehicles including two wheelers. Maybe, some of these individuals do this to proudly indicate that they are in the Army. Maybe, some of these individuals don't do this to intimidate others, but, mostly, the intention, as I have experienced and seen, is to intimidate others and discourage others from raising their voice against any wrongdoings of these individuals. I never said or wrote that I have an issue with these individuals prominently displaying their affiliation with the Army. Infact, I for one, have the highest regards for the soldier who is protecting me and my country. I for one believe that we are not doing anything for the the soldier as citizens.

Infact, why point out only the Army. I have seen a lot of individual policemen who have POLICE stickered on their privately owned vehicles, which again is wrong!

Now, all of a sudden after 3 years, some maverick comes and gets offended by this thread as if I have put a rat up their pockets. Hey relax. I have nothing against you or your profession. All I wanted to ask was that is there a hidden agenda in the practice of pasting the word ARMY on "privately owned" vehicles? Again, I cannot stress the importance of the word private here.

As far as the practice of pasting the stickers of ones Alma mater or workplace or even Team-BHP is concerned, let me tell you frankly, I have never heard of stories of abuse of power by people who have these pasted on their Privately Owned vehicles.

I rest my case. I won't be part of this discussion anymore.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2010, 19:20   #93
BHPian

A friend of mine moved here from Bangalore 2 years back, has not bothered to re register his car in AP and to avoid being frequently stopped by cops, has a couple of ARMY stickers on his car !
Old 5th September 2011, 16:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARMY sticker behind some cars/bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Plus atleast i have never heard of any army officer trying to gain undue advantage with police etc. And i am pretty sure an Army officer who IS the most disciplined gentleman citizen you can find living in our society, will seldom break laws. Though there are some officers, but they are very rare and they usually dont get away with corruption.
Thanks Cruiser. BTW, not all Army officers are gentlemen as well!!! You will always have bad apples as well. Majority of them are gentlemen though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
+1

Actually ARMY can be stuck only if they are in service else it has to be ex-army
I think Army guys stick the sticker on their vehicle as they feel proud of their association with Armed forces - serving or otherwise. Nothing beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
They are transferred to far-off places from their previous places of postings every three years or even earlier in case of any emergencies. Now the state traffic police and RTO people being what they are, frequently stop cars and bikes bearing registration of other states to try and trace outlaws or make hay while these number plates shine.
While i agree on this, cops have become smarter with so many fake stickers and they eventually stop the vehicle if they have doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
I find it strange a mere ARMY sticker is attracting so much attention, after all these guys gave their best part of their lives for us. If in return, some of them wants to proudly proclaim themselves as ARMY, NAVY or AIR FORCE, I think they have every right to do so. At least, I don't find it to be objectionable.
Thanks Joy. See my response above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I think most of them do such things as a feel good factor that they will getaway with challans etc.

One thing i wanted to point out is that, I was driving a friends gypsy to Surat, and i have always adorn a semi -crew cut. So i was not charged once on all those booths thinking it was a defense vehicle.
Sometimes it does help as police will be courteous. Also true, some army guys will get away with challans which is bad though. Your "Crew cut" story is a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is a fact that a traffic policeman will think twice before approaching a car with Army/police/Advocate stickers, even if it violates traffic rules. And I can't help feeling that was the intention of the stickers in the first place.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyngh View Post
Both my cars (Honda City & Tata Safari) have dozens of stickers (Not ARMY written on the windscreen) from various cantonments wherever my dad has been posted. I must say that i have never tried to misuse them for any reason, if i am not stopped by the cops because of these stickers then i feel lucky, but i have never deliberately made an attampt to prove that i am different from others. Needless to say that i am proud to be associated with the armed forces because of my family and would never disrespect it for anything.
Well said sir like a true blooded Fauji

[quote=SumitB;2059769]My intention of starting this thread in June, 2007, was not to hurt the sentiments of anyone, here or elsewhere. All I wanted to bring to light was the practice, at least in my city, of various individuals who arbitrarily paste the word "ARMY" prominently on their PRIVATELY owned vehicles including two wheelers. Maybe, some of these individuals do this to proudly indicate that they are in the Army. Maybe, some of these individuals don't do this to intimidate others, but, mostly, the intention, as I have experienced and seen, is to intimidate others and discourage others from raising their voice against any wrongdoings of these individuals. (/quote]

I fully appreciate your view and support misuse of power just beacuse one is from Armed forces. It is sad that it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
A friend of mine moved here from Bangalore 2 years back, has not bothered to re register his car in AP and to avoid being frequently stopped by cops, has a couple of ARMY stickers on his car !
Is he from Armed forces? If yes, it is shameful.

OK, folks.

I happenned to see this therad as i was contemplating whether i should have ARMY sticker on my Scorpio or not. I have never had this sticker on any of my cars earlier and i dont know what to do. Of course cops have been couteous on seeing my Ex Service Officer's ID, but i have not taken any advantage of that.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 18:48   #95
BHPian

I think it is just "pride in your profession" at work. And what better than the Indian Armed Forces to have pride in what you do!
Old 5th September 2011, 19:48   #96
BHPian

Actually the guy isn't an Army officer at all. Just a civilian taking advantage. Hence the point that these should not be allowed on private vehicles, especially on the front of the vehicle since they are misleading and misused.

Someone who is proud of his/her association can always have a sticker saying for example " Proud to be in the Army" etc. on the rear or bumper of the vehicle.

Last edited by John : 5th September 2011 at 19:54.
Old 5th September 2011, 20:51   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I was wondering that a few people with connections in the armed forces have 'ARMY' prominently displayed on their bikes/cars
I always think I should put "CIVIL" on my car when I see this.
Old 5th September 2011, 20:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
I always think I should put "CIVIL" on my car when I see this.
Now that would be a rare spotting on Pune roads, someone who is civil! just kidding

I agree with the OP that it is blatant misuse of the Army stickers if being used by some civilian with the objective of getting away from cops.

I also know of two guys who have:
- ****** Shaasan (state administration) sticker on the bonnet of his privately owned Swift when one of his cousins is working in the municipality office.
- "Polite" sticker on a bike number plate, with the letter T shaped such that it looks more like a C.

Whats the point?

Like Sudarshan sir rightly stated this can in fact be a threat to our security if picked up by people with ulterior motives. A lot of discipline needs to be enforced on the roads.

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th September 2011 at 20:58.
Old 4th March 2016, 18:10   #99
BHPian

Army,On Govt.Duty, VIP or 'any other title' stickers banned.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/pun...es/204438.html
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks