Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 19:08   #31
BANNED

Our law has a strange way of classifying vehicles -- "transport vehicles" are vehicles which ply for hire or reward. Normal human beings would have used the phrase "commercial vehicles". Non transport vehicles, are vehicles which are used to transport your kids, spouse, parents, friends, dogs and other pets around.

If you have a "transport vehicle", irrespective of its size, you need a special endorsement (which you get only if you have held a driving license for 2 years) on your license to drive it; and in some states, a "badge", which is essentially a course in first aid. And you - rather the vehicle -- also needs a "permit" specifying the area where the vehicle can be used, in case of "transport vehicles". Several people opt for "transport vehicles" because the initial cost are lesser due to excise duty concessions. But road tax is high - Andhra pradesh, for example requires every passenger transport vehicle entering that state to cough up 400 rupees per passenger (authorised or actual, whichever is higher).
Old 19th June 2007, 19:54   #32
BHPian

The thing that makes this interesting is that when the Innova first came out, I thought there was some kind of confusion as to wether it would be taxed upon entry in certain states (like Rajasthan) as a commercial taxi (even if it wasn't being used as such) simply because it could hold more than X number of passengers.

There's just a whole lot of confusion out there. (And it's fullly taken advantage of by the cops, authorities, and touts.)
Old 19th June 2007, 20:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Buddy whats an LTV licence? and let me tell you , "your Guy" knows crap. Hes just putting you on. IF one can drive a Qualis, Scorpio, Safari, Pajero, Q7, Lucida, MB 100/140, ML, X5, LX470, Terracan, Tavera, etc, etc, to name a few, on a regular licence, than one can definately drive an Innova on the same licence.
Old 19th June 2007, 23:13   #34
BHPian

i thnk that the information given by ur instructor is wrong.....lmv consists of both cars and jeep....also for driving a milk tanker you may need a ltv license bt not for driving cars like safari,scorpio,innova....as these come under private vehicles/cars
Old 20th June 2007, 11:55   #35
BHPian

Some companies have interesting rules for employees - like they will fund purchase of only 7-seater versions of innovas and not the 8-seater ones, which are primarily considered commercial.
We should use a simple classification system in India - based on the weight of the carrier- maybe 3 tonnes or something - for licensing. Assuming that a particular vehicle will be used only for commercial purposes because it is bigger/heavier is not a fair assumption. Of course the skill set required of driving a maruti 800 vs a heavy vehicle will vary which is why the different grades of licenses.
Of course - if driving is your occupation and you would be driving commercial vehicles then the license should indicate it and person tested more frequently
Old 20th June 2007, 15:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
Some companies have interesting rules for employees - like they will fund purchase of only 7-seater versions of innovas and not the 8-seater ones, which are primarily considered commercial.
We should use a simple classification system in India - based on the weight of the carrier- maybe 3 tonnes or something - for licensing. Assuming that a particular vehicle will be used only for commercial purposes because it is bigger/heavier is not a fair assumption.
I agree. Having more seats (to a reasonable amount) does not mean commercial. Especially in India where we have either the joint family system, or even if families are living separately, they are usually quite close, and like to go to outings together.

To me, 8-seat Innova means big family, not necessarily commericial.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Caliper, come to Delhi/Gurgaon/Faridabad and you'll see scores of yellow number plated Innovas of various call centres dangerously zig-zagging on the roads driven by maniacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Sorry to ask what may seem like a dumb question, but what is the significance of a yellow number plate?

I've never seen a vehicle with such. Only with the standard black on white (or the fashionable white on black). I haven't seen any Innovas with yellow plates either.
Old 30th December 2008, 22:28   #38

can i drive a non transport LMV vehicle with a MH state LMV TR license?
Old 31st December 2008, 13:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Yes - Yellow number plates indicate a private taxi.
I have found cars with yellow letters on black background in Mumbai. By the look of it these are tourist cars. Can anyone throw light on this type of number plates.
Old 31st December 2008, 13:43   #40
BHPian

These are the self drive cars - for which you dont need a commercial endorsement on the license to drive.
Old 1st January 2009, 22:45   #41
BHPian

Yes one can drive a non tr LMV with a MH lmv tr licence, its like driving a moped with a MCY licence
Old 1st January 2009, 23:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Never ever heard of this was driving a toyota land crusier when i even didnt have a driving license ,not even a learners one forget LTV
And you think this as a credit? Very bad.
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Tell me something guys.

If you buy a bus, have it registered as a family use vehicle, can you drive it with a normal license?

So many of you have said that a white number plate and yellow number plate determines what license you have to have.

Another insight - There are two types of flying licenses. You can have a Private Pilots License or a Commercial Pilots License. If you want to fly a 747 belonging to Air India, then you need a CPL, if you are John Travolta flying your own 747, then I think the PPL is enough, because one of the conditions of a CPL is that you have to clock a minimum amount of flying hours in a year to retain it, and everyone knows John Travolta does not have time to fly commercial planes and in his country you cannot bribe the authorities.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
Yes one can drive a non tr LMV with a MH lmv tr licence, its like driving a moped with a MCY licence
Not sure what you mean by "MCY" license. Anyway you are not supposed to drive a two wheeler with an LMV license. You need specific license for two wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Tell me something guys.

If you buy a bus, have it registered as a family use vehicle, can you drive it with a normal license?

So many of you have said that a white number plate and yellow number plate determines what license you have to have.

Another insight - There are two types of flying licenses. You can have a Private Pilots License or a Commercial Pilots License. If you want to fly a 747 belonging to Air India, then you need a CPL, if you are John Travolta flying your own 747, then I think the PPL is enough, because one of the conditions of a CPL is that you have to clock a minimum amount of flying hours in a year to retain it, and everyone knows John Travolta does not have time to fly commercial planes and in his country you cannot bribe the authorities.
I think it should be possible to register bigger vehicles as private. Driving license has to be appropriate to the vehicle category though. In the case of a bus it must be HMV. Need not be a commercial license in case of private vehicle.

Regarding PPL and CPL, yes CPL is required to fly a commercial aircraft. I am a PPL holder (though it is expired now). One need to have completed 200 hours of flying plus some more criteria such as nigh flying, cross coutry flygin, additional theory exams etc for getting a CPL. Even then you need additional trainings and certifications for multi-engine, instrument rating, etc for making it into the jet flying grade. An ATPL is expected by most airliners now.
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:28   #45
BHPian

[quote=appuchan;1113470]Not sure what you mean by "MCY" license. Anyway you are not supposed to drive a two wheeler with an LMV license. You need specific license for two wheelers.

Was just giving an example, MCY licence means licence for moercycle with gear.
siedo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks