Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 12:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
Some companies have interesting rules for employees - like they will fund purchase of only 7-seater versions of innovas and not the 8-seater ones, which are primarily considered commercial.
We should use a simple classification system in India - based on the weight of the carrier- maybe 3 tonnes or something - for licensing. Assuming that a particular vehicle will be used only for commercial purposes because it is bigger/heavier is not a fair assumption. Of course the skill set required of driving a maruti 800 vs a heavy vehicle will vary which is why the different grades of licenses.
Of course - if driving is your occupation and you would be driving commercial vehicles then the license should indicate it and person tested more frequently
When we wanted to buy Innova 8 seater, they said under company names they offer 8 seater only in T board - commercial category.
But for other reasons we liked 7 seater, and bought it. There was no objection to but 7 seater under company name.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:26   #47
BHPian

someone just mentioned this and i refused to believe it! i heard that insurance refused to pay due to the driver driving on lmv license!!
googled and found this pdf. apart from this very thread
Read page 3 of 6!!
Also could be confirmed by any SUV owner if they would check out the category printed on their R/C
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New India Assurance Vs. Geeta.pdf (38.3 KB, 1368 views)
Old 6th March 2009, 17:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I think ur driving instructor is trying to make some easy money. Tell em u'll get an LTV license if required, but not thru him .
+1 this is most likely the scenario. BTW which state are you apply a license from ?

Do let us know.

cheers
Old 6th March 2009, 17:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
googled and found this pdf.

Quite informative. In particular :

Quote:
The careful reading of Section 2 (21) discloses two points viz.,: (a) The Light Motor Vehicle means, A transport vehicle or ominibus, the gross
weight of either of which does not exceed 7500 Kgs.
By that definition most SUVs would be LMV and Car license should be fine with those.

E.g. TATA Safari weighs 2800 KG in heaviest variant.

Tata Safari
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 21:12   #50
BHPian

License Validity

I am holding a HMV TRANSPORT smart card license which indicates/states as follows : Valid until 14-04-2014 (NT) and 14-04-2012 (TR)

I think I can drive a TRANSPORT (TR) vehicle only until 14-04-2012, however I can still continue to drive a NON TRANSPORT (NT) until 14-04-2014, without renewing it immediately.

I appreciate if you guys can clear my doubts whether it is really the case, or do I have to renew the license to let me continue driving the NON TRANSPORT PRIVATE CAR. However I am not sure.. in any case I have no intention of ever driving a TRANSPORT vehicle.
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Re: License Validity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
I am holding a HMV TRANSPORT smart card license which indicates/states as follows : Valid until 14-04-2014 (NT) and 14-04-2012 (TR)

I think I can drive a TRANSPORT (TR) vehicle only until 14-04-2012, however I can still continue to drive a NON TRANSPORT (NT) until 14-04-2014, without renewing it immediately.

I appreciate if you guys can clear my doubts whether it is really the case, or do I have to renew the license to let me continue driving the NON TRANSPORT PRIVATE CAR. However I am not sure.. in any case I have no intention of ever driving a TRANSPORT vehicle.
License conditions are here
Transport

The validity before renewal is
Private Vehicle : 20 years
Commercial : 3 years
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
License conditions are here
Transport

The validity before renewal is
Private Vehicle : 20 years
Commercial : 3 years
Mr Aroy, My smart card states as follows, with both the dates mentioned
Valid until 14-04-2014 (NT) and 14-04-2012 (TR). If that is so which date is valid ? If I understand correctly the NT Non Transport vehicle license is valid until 14-04-2014, and TR Transport vehicle license is valid until 14-04-2012, maybe I am wrong ?
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr Aroy, My smart card states as follows, with both the dates mentioned
Valid until 14-04-2014 (NT) and 14-04-2012 (TR). If that is so which date is valid ? If I understand correctly the NT Non Transport vehicle license is valid until 14-04-2014, and TR Transport vehicle license is valid until 14-04-2012, maybe I am wrong ?
As far as I understand
1. You can drive non transport vehicle till 2014.
2. You have to renew the Transport Vehicle license by April.

So beyond 2012 April, you can only drive non transport vehicle legally, and your transport vehicle license expires till renewed for another three years. In general it is better to have the two licenses separated (if possible).

By the way which state is the license issued from?
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I understand
1. You can drive non transport vehicle till 2014.
2. You have to renew the Transport Vehicle license by April.

So beyond 2012 April, you can only drive non transport vehicle legally, and your transport vehicle license expires till renewed for another three years. In general it is better to have the two licenses separated (if possible).

By the way which state is the license issued from?
Thanks for your feedback. The license is issued from Maharashtra-Mumbai. I want to check it out if it is possible to have 2 separate licenses for each category of vehicles, if not I will give up my HMV/TR license and go for LMV/Non Transport only.
The problem now in Maharashtra-Mumbai is that the license takes anywhere between 1 - 3 months to reach at your residential address after it has been submitted for renewal, unlike 7 days maximum in the past. I have plans to drive down to GOA on 6th April 2012 and return back on 22nd April 2012, and then submit the license for renewal.
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. The license is issued from Maharashtra-Mumbai. I want to check it out if it is possible to have 2 separate licenses for each category of vehicles, if not I will give up my HMV/TR license and go for LMV/Non Transport only.
The problem now in Maharashtra-Mumbai is that the license takes anywhere between 1 - 3 months to reach at your residential address after it has been submitted for renewal, unlike 7 days maximum in the past. I have plans to drive down to GOA on 6th April 2012 and return back on 22nd April 2012, and then submit the license for renewal.
If you do not renew the HMV license it lapses automatically and you are left with only the LMV license.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:42   #56
BHPian

re: LTV license required for driving Innova? Nope

I am planning to get a HMV/TR license at Kerala. The purpose would sound odd, but I feel it would be the wise decision to be on the right side of law. We have a couple of school buses and sometimes have to wait for the driver just to get it moved to another location e.g for repairs or moving it from the shed. Of course this would be done without any passengers.

I would like to understand the basic requirements and how to get about the process from fellow Bhpians before I start approaching a driving school.

A quick check on the Kerala RTO website mentions about procuring a Badge and then the license. It also mentions about a test for the Badge. I really do not understand the difference between a badge and a HMV license.

Has anyone in the forum taken an HMV license recently ? What was the kind of tests done ? I heard that it was a regular road test where you have to drive all the way uptil the 4th gear and down without putting your feet on the brake.

Also, is it possible to take a HMV/TR and HMV/NT together ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks