Team-BHP - New colour code for registration plates ??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   New colour code for registration plates ?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/25314-new-colour-code-registration-plates.html)

Usually, taxis have yellow registration plates with black script written on it (TYPE 1 - Refer illustration above) but off late, I've been seeing many tourist taxis (especially high end ones like Mercs, Camrys, Corollas, NHCs etc.) with black registration plates with yellow script (TYPE 2- Refer illustration above).

Has there been any change in the regulation?

If yes, is it made to distinguish tourist taxis from regular intra-city taxis and embassy vehicles (which also have yellow plates with black script)?

Salil,

I think the TYPE 2 option is provided for the "Company Leased cars". The cars which are provided by the company have these kind of number plates.

The type 2 is for rental and hotel cars (Hertz/Five star hotels etc.,)
Emabssy vehicles are white on blue background.

The second board - Black board with yellow writing is for self driven hire vehicles. Like Avis, Rent a Car....These cars can be hired without the driver. Though this concept is very popular abroad, they are not so popular in India, due to the formalities involved (an ex Avis employee told me this!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 472659)

AFAIK, embassy vehicles in Mumbai have TYPE 1 number plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 472653)
Salil,

I think the TYPE 2 option is provided for the "Company Leased cars". The cars which are provided by the company have these kind of number plates.

Nope. I drove a company leased car before transferring it to my name. It had standard private number plates.
When rental companies/hotels use cars for their guests, they have type 2 plates.

Quote:

When rental companies/hotels use cars for their guests, they have type 2 plates.
I guess hotels use them because they get road tax consessions (yearly road tax like a taxi) and import duty consessions for these registrations which use black number plates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 472668)
Nope. I drove a company leased car before transferring it to my name. It had standard private number plates.

Isn't it a recent change? these kind of plates have started appearing now onwards only...In my company the number plates were White-Black and have changed just recently

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 472659)

Vehicles on UN missions are White on blue background

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 472668)

agree: Company leased cars bear the standard private number plates.

I roughly remember RTO rule stating that if u r a car rental provider and have more than 50 cars, then you get to display black numberplates with yellow letters.

Around 10-12 years back, a friend of mine (a car dealer) had purchased arnd 35 reused Contessa's from Kent in Mumbai...they had this different numberplates...

Cars bearing Type 1 plates can only be driven by "commercial" drivers (ha!) , those who have taken first aid courses and some other stuff

Cars bearing Type 2 are can be given on self hire. A lot of MNC take these on from Avis etc for their expats on a total lease basis to avoid the expat getting taxed for the perk back home

This is new info for me.

But, many have contradicted each other here. Got me confused!

Type 2 is for private taxis - such as those operated by hotels for their guests only

I think what Ajmat said is closest to truth. The type 2 plates are given for cars which are taken on dry lease. Now these could be companies taking them on for their expat guests/employees, as ajmat said, or they could even be taken by big Hotels for usage by their own staff drivers to ferry guests. The basic idea being the car remains parked within your premises 24x7 and is driven by your people. This is unlike the regular taxis which come on wet lease, ie. with driver for a fixed distance or hours and billed accordingly.

So wasn't I close to what Ajmat was stating...? Mine is an MNC and leases the cars to expats!