Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2022, 16:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet sales cross the 1.5 lakh mark in under 2 years

Kia has announced that it has sold over 1.5 lakh units of the Sonet crossover in less than 2 years since its launch.

Kia Sonet sales cross the 1.5 lakh mark in under 2 years-02-refreshed-kia-sonet.jpg

The Kia Sonet was launched in September 2020. The model accounts for over 32% of Kia’s total sales and is said to have a market share of almost 15% in the compact SUV segment.

According to the company, 25% of Sonet buyers chose the iMT variants, while 22% opted for the automatic transmission. 26% of customers prefer the top variants, while diesel variants accounted for 41% of the overall Sonet sales.

According to Kia, the two most popular colours for the Sonet are Glacier White Pearl and Aurora Black Pearl. These account for 44% of the overall dispatches.

The Kia Sonet is available with three engine options. These include a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine, a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol and a 1.5-litre diesel unit. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual, 6-speed iMT and a 7-speed DCT.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 18:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet sales cross the 1.5 lakh mark in under 2 years

Having Sonet diesel auto in family, I have experienced how this car is a complete package in the segment it competes in. It's a shame that Kia is mum on safety. Add that 50k more, make it safe and this pocket rocket will become a 360 degree product.
headbanger is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 18:47   #3
BHPian

That is a feat in itself indeed. Sonet was pitted against Venue, Nexon, Brezza, XUV300.
Barring the Carnival, both the Kia products wreaked havoc in the segments they were launched in. If memory serves me right, the Seltos too had crossed 200000 units in around 2 years time.
Kia (and Hyundai) should now focus on safety rating along with the bling that it offers for the price.
shubham7799 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 20:49   #4
BHPian

Venue (3L) + Sonet (1.5L) made total sales of 4.5L in 3 years of productions. This averages to 1.5L/year including the covid years.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 02:07   #5
BHPian

I was very apprehensive about Kia products due to the Seltos GNCAP episode. My relatives bought a Sonet and I tried my best to sway them away from the Sonet in favor of a Nexon. Got a chance to drive it, and I was so impressed, so much so that if we had to buy a diesel car now it will be the Sonet for sure! The engine is a real gem. The car my relatives have is a mid version HTX. One glaring omission is a rear wash and wipe. They can provide a sunroof for 13 lacs but not a rear wiper! Talk about priorities!

All that aside, I must say the Sonet is a very desirable car. Safety aside, it is a near perfect car in its segment IMO.
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 08:58   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I absolutely love the Sonet & consider it to be one of the best Compact SUVs. Good looks, lovely cabin, balanced suspension and lots of features. Importantly, it has an array of engine & transmission options, including proper ATs. Hyundai-Kia have smartly invested in engines & ATs, and then use the same across a wide variety of vehicle segments (including MPVs, bigger SUVs, sedans etc.).

I like the Nexon & XUV300 too, but their AMTs suck. They really need smooth torque-converters. The Sonet Diesel AT is just wow! I like the 1.4L Turbo DCT too, but you know, dual-clutch AT reliability sucks.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2022 at 13:48.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 09:06   #7
BHPian

Own the diesel auto GTX and I'm not surprised.

While shopping i drove many cars in its segment and outside. The final round was between this and Kushaq 1.5. But at the end of the day had to go with Sonet.

Simply put, a brilliant package. The engine transmission combo is a firecracker and the features are cherry on top to an excellent overall experience!
SoupRaw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 11:01   #8
BHPian

When I was shopping around for a car for my father, I did have a look at the Sonet considering the buzz around it. It was a let down to be frank when I drove it though I liked the Front and Rear looks. The exterior design was not cohesive in my opinion with good looking bits and pieces but the ride and handling was especially below par considering the amount I was paying. The i10 grand that I have in India still handles much better even allowing for the lower ride height.

I ultimately booked the Ecosport (one of the last ones sold via Dealerships) with none of the alternatives proving to be remotely robust enough package.

I guess to each his/her own with many buyers in India having a different opinion.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 11:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

No surprises here.

Where we were looking for a new car last year Sonet D-AT was an obvious choice. I always had a soft corner for Nexon and it was my first choice. But the moment I drove the Sonet diesel Automatic i was sold. The refinement, the ease of Torque converter can't be matched by Nexon unless they let go of their AMT obsession. Anyone with a 15 lac budget i highly recommend the D-AT variant. You won't be disappointed. My only gripe is the FE with AC on but that's livable considering the rest of the pros.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 11:43   #10
BHPian

It was a shoot out between the Nexon and the Sonet for me. Only reason Nexon won was because of its much superior rear seat comfort. I was very disappointed with the Sonet's rear seat. Not the width. The width was as good or as bad as any of the cars in this segment, but somehow did not feel even close to the Nexon in terms of comfort.

Otherwise was a beautiful car in all other ways. The diesel TC was a real beauty and fully loaded with features. It is premium all the way .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:24   #11
BANNED

I recently bought a pre loved Sonet 1.0 HTX IMT. I can clearly see why the Sonet has been a blockbuster!

In my case I got, rocket of an engine, feather light Imt (clutchless life is wonderful!), best NVH in the segment, well appointed interiors and the balanced ride and handling manners. My car also gets the HHC, VSM and Traction control, which the earlier variants didn't get. Though the build quality seems satisfactory, a 4+ Star NCAP rating would have been nice.

I also have a Ecosport S TDCI and after driving the Sonet in city traffic, Ecosport feels very cumbersome to drive on potholed city roads. This has resulted in the Ecosport, being primarily the highway car.
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:04   #12
BHPian

I've booked an Intense Red HTX Diesel AT for all the reasons mentioned above.

I just couldn't find a better equipped, better looking, better deal in this segment and price bracket!

The updated model's 4 airbags are a step in the right direction, although I was wishing for 6 and a stronger structure. An extra 50k-75k wouldn't really have mattered.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I've booked an Intense Red HTX Diesel AT for all the reasons mentioned above.

I just couldn't find a better equipped, better looking, better deal in this segment and price bracket!

The updated model's 4 airbags are a step in the right direction, although I was wishing for 6 and a stronger structure. An extra 50k-75k wouldn't really have mattered.
Totally agree with this! Sonet is a solid preposition for someone looking at a Diesel & a ‘proper’ automatic gearbox in the sub 4m SUV segment; or I should say in the entire sub 4m segment. There is absolutely no contest here.

How I wish that the Nexon & now the Venue had come up with a good automatic gearbox. Nexon is a solid car but marred by the gearbox for automatic seeking buyers.

I also find the Sonet to be relatively more stable than the Venue inspite of being from the same family. Sonet holds the ground much better than the Venue in my personal opinion.

After contemplating for more than a year & going through all the possible options, I too have booked the Sonet HTX D AT. This was the ONLY good choice for my requirement. This car will replace our 10+ year old Swift ZDi.
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:25   #14
BHPian

The Sonet is an exceptional compact SUV. The Diesel Engine with the AT is just a complete all round winning combination that the competitors can't really match, so no real surprises here. Kia has had an amazing time doing business in India, and it's well deserved. Congratulations to them.
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:32   #15
AZT
BHPian

A friend is in the market right now and looking at the new Brezza 6 speed AT. If not for that, the Sonet is next on the list. This is from a lifelong Maruti and Toyota loyalist and has had great experiences with both.

Most Viewed