Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 21:54   #16
BHPian

delhi and uttar pradesh prices have huge difference. but the point is that when you buy the car from U.P. and register it in delhi you will have to pay the state tax for delhi. so it would best if you buy the car in uttar pradesh and then get it registered in U.P. itself.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

Last time i checked, India was one country. However, the way the different RTOs work make me think otherwise. Having already paid the life time road tax once, one should be spared the agony of having to pay the tax every time we relocate. Its not like we're evading taxes or anything.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

OT :To be simple the govt is bent on collecting taxes in any ways and their officers in making their pockets heavy, who cares where all these taxes are spent or whether you get proper water and electricity in your home.

The RTO for Karnataka states this for outside registered vehicles, want to drive for more than 6 months pay Road Tax, want to drive for more than a year, get it re-registered here.
Old 20th June 2007, 18:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

Benny, that is because roads and their upkeep is a state subject. The states collect the road tax and registration charges which they say they need to maintain the infrastructure across the state.

So even if you paid it once in another state if you relocate to a new state that state is justified in asking for the road taxes. Afterall they made the roads in their state by utilizing their own funds. It is much like if you are travelling long distance and pay a toll tax on a bridge that does not excuse you from paying another toll tax on a different bridge. The earlier one was for using the bridge that the previous contractor built and is now recovering the costs from. The next toll is for the cost of the next bridge.

Of course it does not mean that you keep paying the taxes all over everytime. You can always seek a proportionate return if you are leaving the state for good. This you can utilize towards part payment of the next state's taxes. Even in the next state they won't charge you the same tax as they will charge a new vehicle. Typically most state's have their own brackets for the levies based on the age of the car. Calculations are mostly based on the assumption that the age of a vehicle is at max 15 years (although it is called Lifetime Tax). So depending on that life the slabs are made. A car which is 5 years old will pay lower taxes than a car which is, say 2 years old.
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:56   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Well us bangy boys have the highest price to contend with i think.

mail4ajo, you cant use the car in another state for more than a month I think. My friends WB registered car was towed from his house one night. He went to the station and had to pay the fine as well as road tax of karnataka at the rto. Another friends car was confiscated as it was a PY registered car.

Generally all TN cars are caught. If you have a recent fuell bill from TN they let you go else fine you.
But I have seen lots & lots of cars & bikes registered outside Karnataka belonging to the IT guys plying in Bangy !!!

And is it practical to stop & check each and every vehicle in a high traffic city like Bangy ?

The cops in Kerala are sooo kind in this matter !!!
Old 22nd June 2007, 08:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
But then, to bring the topic back on the rails the question was not on whether you can drive an out of the state car or bike. The question was what stops me from getting a new vehicle from a place where it is the cheapest and then register it here?

Nope! It gets all levelled when you try to convert or sell the car.
If you get it within MAH, and stay there, you might be able to get away.
The issue comes up when you want to sell it thats when you will have to pay the entry tax & octroi & whatever.

If you move out of state, anyways you'll ned up paying the difference in Entry & Road tax.

I think if you can buy a car from a town where it is very low and as long as you are in the same state, and you don't sell the car you will enjoy the benefits.

BEWARE: We were victims of one such scam, where a dealer offered unusually high 10k discounts beyond normal. Only when we went to sell the car after 3 years, we realised that he had got the KAR from MAH and got it registered in lower rung RTO where he could bribe without paying the octroi etc, how he cheated us ? Since we were adamant on particular reg. no, he told us that it was not available in the local RTO and he can get it done from the other town.
Old 22nd June 2007, 08:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But I have seen lots & lots of cars & bikes registered outside Karnataka belonging to the IT guys plying in Bangy !!!

And is it practical to stop & check each and every vehicle in a high traffic city like Bangy ?

The cops in Kerala are sooo kind in this matter !!!
It seems impractical, but folks do get caught unaware esp. TN bikes, the TN cops reciprocate in kind on KA bikes in Chennai
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Last time i checked, India was one country. However, the way the different RTOs work make me think otherwise. Having already paid the life time road tax once, one should be spared the agony of having to pay the tax every time we relocate. Its not like we're evading taxes or anything.
If you shift to another state, you can obtain a NOC from the present RTO & a partial refund of the LTT that has been paid on the car. The LTT in the new state of regn will be proportionately lesser for the number of years that car has been used already.

Zappo, there is no necessity for you to prove that you lived in Thane before relocating to bombay (If you have, its better). Butttt, when you shifted to Bombay, the endorsement has to be made in the RC about the change of address.
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Zappo, John : i know about the part where we can seek for a refund of part of the road tax paid, but we all also know the trouble involved in obtaining it. I remember, even for obtaining an NOC for my bike in Hyderabad, i literally had to go around half the city, for one thing after the other. It was a different story that i had just quit my first job then, and had some amount of free time before i joined my new firm.
Old 17th October 2013, 18:21   #25
BHPian

Difference in ex-showroom prices across various states?

I have been researching new cars to buy as I intend to make a buy soon.
My question is, why is there such a massive price difference between the ex-showroom prices of the same cars (same variants) in different cities?
I am not aware as to how they arrive at the ex-showroom prices and hence the question.
My guess is that the VAT/ST comes into play which is why the difference exists, but in some cases the difference is very substantial.
For eg; The Audi A6 2.0 TDI is priced at 39.86L ex-showroom in Chandigarh, whereas, in Hyderabad it is priced at 48.49L. That is a cool 8.6L difference.
A big hatch like an i20 can be accommodated in that difference.

On top of this difference in the ex-showroom price, the difference in Road Tax really kills the Hyderabad buyers. In Chandigarh you end up paying 8% on the 39.86L price, whereas in Hyderabad you are paying 14% on the 48.49L.
Similarly, the Mercedes C-Class is priced at 33.40L in Chandigarh and is 36.89L in Hyderabad. Ex-showroom.

I looked online and from various sites I gathered that the A6 is ex-showroom 39.86L in Chandigarh. If I am wrong, please feel free to quote the correct figure existing in Chandigarh.

If someone could actually post the breakup of the on-road price for any car in Chandigarh, it will be helpful in understanding the reasons for the difference in prices.

Last edited by rowhun : 17th October 2013 at 18:21. Reason: edited redundancy.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

Re: Difference in ex-showroom prices across various states?

I don't know the break-up but I guess Octroi should play an important role in the ex-showroom price.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:28   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Even in bangalore the Ex-showroom prices is more.Take a look Reva E2o ex-showroom Bangalore price is 6.8 lakh ,where as in Delhi it costs 5.9 lakh and this is despite the fact that Reva is made in Bangalore.

There is no Octroi in any of south Indian states.

Last edited by aim120 : 17th October 2013 at 21:44.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:31   #28
BHPian

I think the distance of a particular city from the car manufacturing plant also plays a major role in the price of the car. Consider Hyundai for example. Having its plant at Chennai, it would be cheaper for the company to sell cars within the south compared to the north, as the cost of transportation would also get added.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
I think the distance of a particular city from the car manufacturing plant also plays a major role in the price of the car. Consider Hyundai for example. Having its plant at Chennai, it would be cheaper for the company to sell cars within the south compared to the north, as the cost of transportation would also get added.
Unfortunately it is just the opposite. Atleast in the case of Hyundai.
I just checked the ex-showroom price of the Hyundai Elantra 1.8 SX AT, and it is cheaper in Chandigarh rather than Chennai where it is manufactured. By 26k. And Hyderabad is more expensive by another 1k.
Old 17th October 2013, 22:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhun View Post
For eg; The Audi A6 2.0 TDI is priced at 39.86L ex-showroom in Chandigarh, whereas, in Hyderabad it is priced at 48.49L. That is a cool 8.6L difference.

I looked online and from various sites I gathered that the A6 is ex-showroom 39.86L in Chandigarh. If I am wrong, please feel free to quote the correct figure existing in Chandigarh.
Did you look up for the figures on carwale? Am afraid the figures quoted by carwale for the A6 is incorrect.

Here's what I found on Gaadi.com
Name:  11.PNG
Views: 1875
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 1829
Size:  70.4 KB
The difference of upto 5% or 6% is tolerable due to the difference in VAT rates and other levies.

Other factors that determine the Ex showroom price are the Logistics and storage cost. Storage costs are very high in the automobile industry. Therefore reality prices also could have a certain bearing on the price invoiced by the dealer.

Increasingly, many Automobile companies are moving towards the "One Nation, One Price" model now.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th October 2013 at 22:27.

Most Viewed