Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 16:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delivery backlog of Indian car manufacturers

Maruti Suzuki has an order backlog of 3.15 lakh units. It is said that out of these 40% are CNG variants.

Delivery backlog of Indian car manufacturers-marutivitarabrezzapetrol3-1.jpg

According to Shashank Srivastava, Sr. Executive Director – Marketing & Sales, Maruti Suzuki, the average waiting period is less than 3 months, however, it varies from model to model. He also confirmed that 1.30 lakh CNG models are pending delivery.

Maruti Suzuki is gearing up to launch the 2022 Brezza on June 30. However, there are 20,000 units of the outgoing model yet to be delivered. The carmaker produces 10,000 units of the Brezza per month and therefore, we can expect a 2-month waiting period for the new Brezza.

Maruti will offer the petrol version of the 2022 Brezza at launch. It is said that the CNG version will be introduced once supply issues are sorted.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 21st June 2022 at 16:19.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 16:27   #2
BHPian

re: Delivery backlog of Indian car manufacturers

A lot of people do multiple bookings for a given product with multiple dealers. Moreover they also do bookings across brands. So I guess we have to take this with a pinch of salt. Would anybody have a view of the overbooking factor.
ajayc123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 18:12   #3
BHPian

Maruti's numbers from the past 6 months show average monthly sales/deliveries of ~ 1.25 lakhs cars.

A backlog of the order of 3.15 lakhs very roughly translates to an average waiting period of 3 months, which kind of tallies the math. Perhaps, explains their conservative strategy when it comes to rolling out new products vis-a-vis competition.
pannags is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:00   #4
BHPian

This could be true, because I had booked Swift VXI AMT in April, and was told a waiting period of 16 weeks. Its been more than 8 weeks already.
Brigadier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:48   #5
BHPian

Suzuki India's monthly volumes are hitting 1.6-1.7 lacs per month regularly. A major chunk of 20-25000 vehicles are going to Exports due to semiconductor allocation issues. So, the waiting periods and order books are bound to increase.
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:23   #6
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It is said that out of these 40% are CNG variants.
So they'll be delivering ~1.26 lakh CNG vehicles in the next few months. This alone is an amazing stat. The new Brezza CNG bookings post launch will probably add to this.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 20:01   #7
BHPian

The global state of the world has caused this across nearly every car brand there is. It's a paradox that products from higher end luxury brands which typically had longer waiting times can now be procured more easily and quickly than common brands.
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has delivery backlog of 1.35 lakh units

Hyundai has revealed that it currently has over 1.35 lakh units pending delivery. The ongoing semiconductor shortage is said to be the reason behind the production backlog.

Delivery backlog of Indian car manufacturers-2020hyundaicreta06-1.jpg

According to Tarun Garg, Director, Sales and Marketing, Hyundai India, the supplies of semiconductors had improved to an extent. Still, the company would be keeping a close eye on the current geopolitical situation as it could affect supply chains.

Earlier, Maruti Suzuki had also revealed that it has an order backlog of 3.15 lakh units, more than double that of Hyundai. Out of these, 40% are said to be CNG variants.

Source: Car and Bike

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd June 2022 at 13:42.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Re: Delivery backlog of Indian car manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
So they'll be delivering ~1.26 lakh CNG vehicles in the next few months. This alone is an amazing stat. The new Brezza CNG bookings post launch will probably add to this.
So many CNG vehicles coming on the roads, while a great news for the environment, is going to wreck havoc on the supply system, the government is not doing enough to bring enough supply pumps online.

Yesterday I got out of my home at midnight, just to fill up my CNG tank, and still there was a line to fill up.

This will only cause people to avoid CNG fueled vehicles due to the negative experiences faced by them.
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:14   #10
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
So many CNG vehicles coming on the roads, while a great news for the environment, is going to wreck havoc on the supply system, the government is not doing enough to bring enough supply pumps online.

Yesterday I got out of my home at midnight, just to fill up my CNG tank, and still there was a line to fill up.

This will only cause people to avoid CNG fueled vehicles due to the negative experiences faced by them.
I think it’s a chicken and egg scenario. So much demand will lead to existing petrol pumps also applying for CNG permits. I agree the the current situation in Mumbai is bad and the lines are a big deterrent currently.
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:43   #11
BHPian

Re: Hyundai has delivery backlog of 1.35 lakh units

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai has revealed that it currently has over 1.35 lakh units pending delivery. The ongoing semiconductor shortage is said to be the reason behind the production backlog.
Yup. I'd booked an i20 Sportz Turbo DCT in March from Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore, I was initially quoted a waiting period of 2 months. This went up to 3 months and now has gone up to 4 months.
TejasKinger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Feeling the heat after Tata beat Hyundai to snatch the 2nd spot? Well every manufacturer from Maruti to Mercedes is unable to deliver. Ask for AT of any type, sales advisor will start nagging- Saar 3 month waiting, not available , no discounts etc! Sales and marketing team of Suzuki and Hyundai are under pressure and while these statements are genuine excuse, I am sure they have started to feel the heat.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed