Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2007, 09:56   #16
BHPian

VW Passat for 17 lac? Wow. Thats great news.

What a fate for Camry V6 and Nissan Teana (recently launched @ 20lac)
Old 20th June 2007, 10:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

its a sure shot mistake. the VAG will not kill the laura by launcing the passat at 17 lacs. THe passat will be around 20-24 lacs range.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

this is fast becoming a joke. Why should VW bother if Laura is overpriced ?? UK which is a similarly highly taxed market finds Skoda selling the 'New Octavia' for £11,000.

If Skoda/Laura owners in India feel cheated, as they infact were. Should VW compromise ?
Old 20th June 2007, 10:23   #19
BHPian

The Passat is nice - personal experience - a good handler - but in the USA - it did not command a great resale price.
My friend there whose car I used to drive ( now and then) - used to say that its maintenance was a pain - not the engine and such but the niggles like electricals - which were erratic etc.
I would still take the Camry over it - for sheer reliability, or a Nissan - not the Teana ( dont think it is sold in the USA) but the Altima/ Murano - for the joy of driving - without the pain of maintenance !
Old 20th June 2007, 10:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Are we getting the 'chinese' Passat?
No, we are getting a European version with the chinese mods carried out onto a Passat, which in turn has been given a Skoda look. The Superb is also sold in Europe & UK from where we get the RHD version. The mods are mainly restricted to an elongated wheelbase & a longer rear door.

I do remember Autocar, UK testing the Superb and saying it was anything but Superb!
Old 20th June 2007, 10:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Passat can be launched at 17 lacs. If its true, then VW has the upper d segment caught by the scruff of its neck . I still feel Passat will cost atleast 20lacs if not more. VW cars ain't cheap.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
this is fast becoming a joke. Why should VW bother if Laura is overpriced ?? UK which is a similarly highly taxed market finds Skoda selling the 'New Octavia' for £11,000.

If Skoda/Laura owners in India feel cheated, as they infact were. Should VW compromise ?
thats becase Skoda is owned by VAG, and all profits made by Skoda add to the VAG kitty.

VW will be bothered with everything related to Skoda.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Might be owned by VW, but the Czechs manage Skoda. So VW shouldn't be bothered by Skoda's nautanki. Sorry I can't agree with you.

But my opinions do not matter. Sigh ! But I hope they will, because any half-decent car in India costs above 20 lakhs and thus prices itself out of the market. Which is such a tragedy.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Might be owned by VW, but the Czechs manage Skoda. So VW shouldn't be bothered by Skoda's nautanki. Sorry I can't agree with you.
my friend, might be or not might be. . . we speak FACTS here. And you agreeing with me or not does not make any difference to anyone.

But what you were speaking not making sense. That is the point.
Old 20th June 2007, 11:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

It's not a CBU but probably a CKD. And thus the reason behind the price they quoted.

Volkswagen Signs Deal to Build Car in Indian Manufacturing Hub | Business | Deutsche Welle | 30.11.2006

Quote:
Before the new plant is fully operational, Volkswagen will start manufacturing its mid-sized Passat cars in India from mid-2007 at an existing factory of group company Skoda in Maharashtra.
Old 20th June 2007, 13:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

This is wishful thinking.. people want to see the poor Laura dead :-) how can VW price Passat faaar below every other euro car that is in india.. VW as a group will have a strategy that will include Skoda, VW and Audi in its indian plans.. if there is one thing that skoda-india taught VW group.. it is to jack up the price!! anyways.. competetion is good.. it gives us more choice.. but not better prices based on the experience so far..

btw.. what is the ETA for passat on indian roads?
Old 20th June 2007, 16:43   #27
BHPian

Hey guys please dont get in to arguments here if you dont like 17 -18 lacks as pricing , you are free to go and sue ZEE TV for showing it when 3 series is available for 26.68 EX delhi in which every thing is imported from germany then why not passat its a good car but will not commad respect in india if priced near BMW and MERC Vw for sure knows it hope u also undestand this and then 17 will be base model u add equipment and price goes up is also a catch
Old 20th June 2007, 16:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

So the Majority of TBHPians want the Passat to be priced higher so that they will be able to buy one.

VW - DONT read this thread!
Old 20th June 2007, 17:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So the Majority of TBHPians want the Passat to be priced higher so that they will be able to buy one.

VW - DONT read this thread!
lol. that is exactly what I too was thinking.

But I feel the need with some people for higher pricing is because they already committed quite a bit of funds to buy a 'laura' at a premium. Now they can't digest it if VW comes out with Passaat at 17 since it totally spoils the 'oomph' factor of their machines.

Even if we look at a highly taxed...let me rephrase that to...ridiculously taxed...auto market like UK, cars in India are still priced higher. Atleast British incomes are much higher on an avg compared to ours. But what sense is their to price cars in India higher than Britain unless the idea is to just sustain with an assembly plant venture with small scales. A small scale operation is just what Merc/BMW/Audi/Toyota (Camry, Corolla)/Mitsubishi etc have in India. And that is also what Volvo etc will have here.

I guess some European company will first have to go full-tilt in the Indian market with large volumes of above 1 lakh/annum and be obscenely successful with pricing in between 8-10 lakhs for others to follow suit and adjust their pricing accordingly. Until then the scam will continue and half-decent cars will be restricted to those who have hit paydirt and are willing to splurge loads of cash on half-decent cars.

VW- DO NOT take this thread seriously.

Last edited by lurker : 20th June 2007 at 17:11.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:17   #30
BHPian

17 L is about the the right price for a Passat.

15 L is what it deserves.

(already seen Passat in the west)

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd June 2007 at 21:26. Reason: removed all BOLD format.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks