Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Longer wait time and its impact in purchase decisions

I would never buy a car with more than 06 months of waiting period. It's not about the wait for the car but after sales service also. Ford took 10 days to repair/replace both doors on one side of the Ecosport, while Hyundai took 45 days to do the same for Creta. My logic is if manufacturer is not able to meet the demand then how can it fulfil the demand for spare parts (Strictly Personal view). You can change you decision before buying the car, but can't chage the car afterwards.
itsbaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 18:13   #32
BHPian

My preference as follows. I am ready to wait, period.
But how long depends on the following factors (not limited to and in no order)

1. What is my current situation? Do I have an alternative now until I get my new car?
2. Is it my only car?
3. While the world (especially the EV technology upgrade/update) is transforming at a fast pace, is there an opportunity cost involved? If yes, how much?
4. How long do I plan to keep the car?
5. Self or chauffeur driven?
6. Use case and the of-course the requirements to choose a new car?
7. And finally, my financial and family situation - Will my financial situation get better if I wait? Will my family be happy to wait?
8. Purpose of the car buying itself?
9. Cost of the car now and then? Brand, features, model, etc?
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngdev View Post
This got me thinking, how the long waiting periods usually affect the purchase decision ?
Let me give you a hint: A lot!

Bonus question: Have you ever considered why e-commerce delivery timelines have reduced exponentially since launch in early 2010's? This is why. You market stuff people do not need (impulse buy). Give them the ability to use EMI for unaffordable products. And always deliver before the customer changes his/her mind.

Kaboom!

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 3rd July 2022 at 19:54.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 21:55   #34
BHPian

I did not know someone would create a thread for this topic! I had booked and waited for months for a Baleno and a Carens (and did _not_ book XUV700 given the long wait). Finally after 4 months of wait, on the day I was told my Baleno is ready for payment, I picked a manual top-end Ciaz as it was readily available too. The logic being, I get a bigger car readily, as compared to the Baleno (sacrificing the convenience of an automatic). Cancelling the Carens (diesel, top-end, AT) booking was a tough call though, as the family really liked it.
All in all, yes, it is a compromise I made out of waiting induced tiredness more than anything else.
hagarthenormal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 07:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I see a hell of a lot of Team-BHP posts where the original choice was dropped because of long wait times (e.g. XUV700). I have also seen many posts where a model was picked up because of quick delivery.

My expectations from my personal car are very high. Hence, if I really really love a car, I will wait even 1+ year for it. After all, if I'm going to drive it for 10 years, a year of waiting won't bother me. Will just use my existing car for a bit longer than planned.
I second your opinion here. I have waited from November of last year to pickup my Nexon Ev which then got changed to Max. I have heard many things from the family during this time, whether an electric car is needed? Why do you need a costlier car? Lastly, why did you sell your old car so quickly?

But I buy a car only after falling in love with it and not as a commuter. So for me it's like having a new baby, I know it's a big jump, but there will be no second guessing.
Old 4th July 2022, 08:23   #36
BHPian

Very interesting topic indeed. Not specifically talking about cars, but I remember one day I got a revelation that I needed a soap dispenser and that too an automatic soap dispenser, and so I searched and ordered one and the moment I got the product in my hand, it was like, meh, I don't need this and thanks to the return policy, I returned it. The same way I wanted the Alexa thingy and I was delaying the purchase and finally, that itch went away.

So what I feel is, that the more you delay your purchases the more clarity you get in thought, and eventually, a wiser decision comes out of it.
Old 4th July 2022, 08:41   #37
BHPian

This is probably the worst time to buy a automobile.

Citing chip shortage and other excuses, car makers and dealers are making a killing. Not to mention a major change in attitude. From pre-pandemic “ sir please how can we help you buy”, to now “ this is all we have - take it or leave it”. The industry has turned a complete 180.

Even BMW was trying to sell me a pre-owned X7 at a ridiculous price, saying that a new car would take atleast 6 months.

There are many genuine problems but the attitude to cash in and make money at all costs is unacceptable.

I honestly think anyone who is not in a hurry should use their existing car for 12-18 months more and consider upgrading after things stabilise.
drjaygoyal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 09:24   #38
BHPian

I changed the strategy and went used car way.

Had booked Kia SONET HTX D AT in October 2021 and was promised delivery in 4 months.

4 months went by in a jiffy but no news on Sonet Delivery date. The waiting period gave me time to think and plan strategically taking into account several aspects (personal and work)

Bought a used 2017 Honda BR-V Petrol Manual for highway use and I am in the look out for used Celeria/Kwid/Wagon R AMT for city use. Saved a few lakhs in the process which can fund my fuel for couple of years

If Kia had delivered the car within 4 months as promised, I would have bought it

Regards
Old 4th July 2022, 09:57   #39

I am not in the market to buy a new car, but have been thinking about it a lot! My friend waited almost a year for his Thar and he says its definitely worth the wait. I think the best way to move forward, is to plan the purchase and book it one year in advance, so that you can replace your existing car at exactly the time you want to.
Old 4th July 2022, 15:15   #40
BHPian

A few weeks to a month or two is what I will wait. Any more, I will look for an alternative brand/model. There were/are/will be unpopular but well engineered cars always available for quicker delivery.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 22:52   #41
BHPian

Waiting period is also one of the reason when we purchased our Ritz in 2012. We had so many consideration, while some had to be cut out due other reasons, the final battle was between the Ritz and the Beat.

We got our in 7 days from the date of booking. Honestly, our family is still happy with the decision.
Old 10th July 2022, 10:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
. Meanwhile, the dealers want to take away the exchange car from you at the earliest without any firm delivery date of new car. My main worry is whether the dealer will even exist the course of the impending delivery and i will get the run around. I have decided to keep driving my Altis for the time being till things settle down however tempting the new cars released are.
There is no need for you to hand over existing car to the dealer unless new one is allotted. You can even negotiate to keep the existing car till the delivery day. Do not give in as I have seen people exchanging car without firm delivery commitments and are left without a car to drive! Used car market is hot right now and you can always find a buyer (direct or online portal like cars24) almost instantly and most likely at a better price. So no need to depend on the dealer exchange if you are not comfortable.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 10th July 2022 at 10:50.
Old 10th July 2022, 12:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

I always find waiting for months together for the next purchase a bit vexing. I prefer purchasing the vehicle within the week, if not, no.
Old 10th July 2022, 13:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

For me, the decision to buy a car has never been out of impulse. My family believes in through research and assessing the need vs want before we finalise which model to buy. After that, if that model has a long waiting period, we stick to it knowing well that it took lot of time and effort on our part to find the right car hence the wait is worth. More so since we tend to keep the car for long time and it is important to get the right model which fits our requirements even if it means months of waiting.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 10th July 2022 at 13:26.
Old 11th July 2022, 10:36   #45
BHPian

I think waiting period does have a significant impact on buying decision, especially those who take impulsive decisions and the real needy onse like me. The thread is absolutely spot on. ��

We booked a Glanza AMT G on 29th April and got the official waiting period of 12-14 weeks but ended up taking delivery of a Nexon XZA+ HS on 19th June, why? Coz it was readily available somehow (story for another day). I had to shell out 370k more just because of waiting period. But no regrets as i got a better product.

New safari wouldn't have garnered so many owners if xuv700 had lesser waiting time that's what i think could be the best reference i quote.

Most Viewed