Electric 131 19.32%
Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SHEV) 161 23.75%
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) 74 10.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 0.59%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 21:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Will opt for ICE cars. Though EV gaining a lot of attention, I am still not convinced about the reliability and long-term ownership experience.
GokuTorqueRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 21:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Strong Hybrid for me. Staying in apartment its tough to have a dedicated charging setup, plus range anxiety wouldn't let me drive an EV on highways. Since mine's a one car garage I need good mileage in city with minimal gas station visits and no range anxiety on highways. Strong hybrid fits the bill nicely.

Yes currently we have very few options but since Maruti is getting into it am sure all others will get in soon and with scale, upfront costs will get reasonable by the time I am ready to change my current car(atleast 3-4 years).

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th July 2022 at 21:38.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 21:40   #18
BHPian

Plugin Hybrid makes total sense for me. A 50km range will take care of my daily needs.
Old 4th July 2022, 22:25   #19
BHPian

If I listen purely to my heart, it'd be a supercharged V8 powered RWD manual sedan, but obviously, that isn't exactly achievable for a first car... (I'm currently just under 16) So I voted for a strong hybrid. It just edges out vs getting a conventional petrol car (55:45) for me, due to changing future regulations and probably fuel prices too.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 4th July 2022 at 22:33.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 00:14   #20
BHPian

Voted "Strong Hybrid". For our use case that's a perfect solution, have a car for the touring and hence need a car for city runabouts and for that would prefer a strong hybrid engin. With Diesel the need for DPF regeneration etc will always become an issue with its low running and hence a petrol or strong hybrid gets preference as compared to diesel.

Cheers,
Old 5th July 2022, 00:35   #21
BHPian

Diesel it is for me ,hopefully a Hyundai 2.0 just for the silence in which it goes about its business.
To my mind, the EVs in India appear to be a primarily urban centerd phenomenon with quicker access to recourse when things go wrong.
The mofussil towns and cities that I'm likely to frequent for the foreseeable future just don't feel ready for an electric ecosystem or even a more complex system (wrt simple ICE) like a hybrid. Can't see the mechanical know how of OEM franchisees, availability of competent non OEM garages, shift to customer centric business practices at OEM dealerships or charging infra evolving at that pace. Maybe the enterprising and competent service providers (and their potential paying patrons?) prefer to migrate to greener pastures instead, I don't know. And the electric/hybrid ones that offer spacious seating for 5 + decent luggage & useful mechanical bits are just too expensive.
I'm not sure how this cheaper running cost argument will play out either once the ICE vehicles are out of the game. I mean would the present electricity rates continue?
Somehow can't get to trust the cat (Govt) to not drink the unattended milk (tax electricity) in front of it out of the goodness of its heart or for the sake of environment, like the tax on fossil fuels today.
The battery fire incidents (including the recent Nexon one) don't help the case either. Call me paranoid but I try to park as far from any EV whenever possible!
How do car batteries fare in case of an accident? Are these vehicles at a higher risk of fire than ICE cars in case of a significant impact?
Old 5th July 2022, 00:38   #22
BHPian

Choose Strong Hybrid.

I have been deliberating on a turbocharged petrol as my next option, but the choice of engine-gearbox combination I'm looking for is limited. On the other hand, I believe EVs have limitations that I see challenging to currently oversome. Therefore, a Strong Hybrid is a like having the best of both worlds, and augurs well keeping the next half a decade in mind.

Last edited by pannags : 5th July 2022 at 00:39.
Old 5th July 2022, 05:13   #23
BHPian

As much as I love a good diesel engine, I'm sure it will be phased out by the time I am in the market for a new car. In that case, an SHEV will be the only option for me to consider.
Old 5th July 2022, 06:43   #24
BHPian

Voted For SHEV
But the competition is far greater in my mind than it looks, even though we have a strong preference for Hybrid but, being a sedan owner for last 16 years really makes me crave for a true blue 4X4 SUV, probably a Scorpio or Fortuner, both of these only available in Diesel.

Also been using NA petrol engine since the start feel like should change to turbo petrol and see what the hype is all about.

Then the Mind kicks in and says hybrids are the most useful due to their efficiency and environmental benefits also they are better for my needs, but let’s see which one really comes home..

Cheers
W16rocks
Old 5th July 2022, 07:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted Petrol.

Main reason being that it will most likely be the last/second last ICE and I hope I am able to manage either an iVTEC or another 4 cylinder.
Old 5th July 2022, 07:55   #26
BHPian

Voted for electric.

This is mainly because my next purchase would happen only after 3 years. Hopefully, concerns about EV infrastructure and range would be much less compared to the present times.
Having said that, if I were to buy a car now, it would be a petrol.
Old 5th July 2022, 09:02   #27
BHPian

I have 2 diesels 2 liter diesel X1 X Drive and a 3 liter inline 6 Diesel 530d. So am happy with them. My next car will be a fast turbo petrol B58 engine M340i or S58 M2. I am not averse to Electric but will wait for 2 to 3 years before jumping in. Want to enjoy the 3 liter turbo petrol one last time before moving to electric!
Old 5th July 2022, 09:27   #28
BHPian

Been a petrolhead all my life but the long work commutes these days warrant for a diesel car purchase with an AT. I tend to hang on to my cars for a bit longer (7-10 years) and in all possibility this might be my last ICE car given the EV trends. The speed with which EV trends are catching up in India is absolutely amazing!

Therefore, I think this time around I'll try going in for a large displacement torquey diesel that will not only cure my itch as an automotive enthusiast but it will also make travel more economical and smooth.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 09:29   #29
BHPian

My next car is definitely going to be electric. I mostly drive within the city and I think electric is ideal for my use case.
Old 5th July 2022, 09:38   #30
BHPian

Voted for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) because it is too early to switch to EV here because of infrastructure (rather lack of it), raising fuel costs.

PHEV's meet both worlds. Extremely fuel efficient, can run in pure EV form for significant distance,Ultra low emissions for Environment conscious people like me and there will be enough performance on tap when required. Also one need not worry about finding a charging station as the battery will be charged by engine and regenerative braking instead of relaying on electric power alone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks