Electric 131 19.32%
Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SHEV) 161 23.75%
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) 74 10.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 0.59%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 10:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

I’ll be replacing my Mazda 3 within a year and I know which car I’ll be buying. It’s going to be Subaru WRX. I still love Petrol cars with manual transmission. My current car have this combination and my next car will have same. So voted for Petrol option.
Old 5th July 2022, 10:40   #47
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Voted for strong hybrid. But the vote for someone like me, is like just a guess work (even considering our own liking-disliking at this moment). Reason I think, having option to keep only one car at a time and keeping that for 7-10 years make all the thought process in between those years evolving every now and then.

Still, for time being, if I buy car in next 3-5 years -

I would not look into diesel how ever much I like it, as there could be more strict rules against diesel, unreasonable taxation etc.

Pure EV might not feasible yet then for peace of mind travelling with low infra growth and EV sale blaming each other like chicken and egg story.

PHEV, with reasonable price bracket in India may work for me. Options in market does not look good.

Even though don't care much about 'kitna deti hai'; there is still a typical Indian middle class voice back in the head whispering for fuel economy, so most petrol or turbo-petrol possibly be out of list.

So, last option is strong hybrid - Honda, Toyota and Suzuki almost already in market, expecting more options to come in near future to choose from. Price and practicality of strong hybrid makes more sense for majority who are upgrading, updating or just changing their daily rides.

But as I told, I am sure this decision would change to a drastic different choice when I start looking for a new car in next 5-6 years.
Old 5th July 2022, 10:55   #48
BHPian

My preference is an Electric Vehicle. I wouldn't go for Hybrids as the cost benefit compared to pure ICE is not much. As much as I would like to keep an ICE in my garage, the nightmare of swiping the card at petrol bunks and the tears that follow won't allow me.

Moreover my frequent travel destination is Coorg (My Hometown) which is 240 kms and hence EV makes sense for me as I can drive continuously without worrying about charge. Also even though I have taken 2000km drives, never have I completed them without overnight stays or frequent stops at hotel for breaks. So charging during this time makes sense for me.

One more thing that pushed me towards EV is the subsidy right now, as we don't know when the government is planning to remove this. But I don't think it can happen until the adoption is good.
shamanths3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:01   #49
BANNED

Would like to add a diesel to the garage. All the cars in the garage are petrol (6cyl is a complete pig on gas) and have never owned a 6cyl diesel. Would fancy a BMW 30d or 40d engine and am actively looking for one!
Old 5th July 2022, 11:03   #50
VVN
BHPian

I currently own a 4th Gen Honda City and it is in its 4th year. My usage has drastically changed over the last 2 years thanks to Covid. I bought the ivtec because of Hondas reliability, FTD and 70-30 city/highway usage. Love the car to bits but I have now shifted to a hillstation and have been living here for the last 2 years. Although the ivtec does not complain at all, I have started feeling the need to add another car to the garage which will be a high GC hatch on stilts but at the same time I am trying to reduce my carbon print in a sustainable way. A Strong Hybrid which the Hyryder offers ticks all boxes for me at this point. Hence have opted for Strong Hybrid if I were to add another car today.

Last edited by VVN : 5th July 2022 at 11:05.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:06   #51
BHPian

My preference is EV > Diesel > Petrol. But I've voted for a Petrol + CNG as I'm eyeing the Ertiga CNG now. Currently gonna stick to my Swift Dzire 2014.

But if a good EV comes up in 2023, with good range and in the <15 bracket. Will definitely consider that.
Old 5th July 2022, 11:08   #52
BHPian

We just got a 2017 Oct Hexa preowned for our highway runs in Sept 2021. We have other cars in the garage too, however I personally use a Honda Brio (Petrol Manual) and VW Ameo (diesel DSG). The Ameo was used for highway duties before the Hexa, however after getting the Hexa, the Ameo is limited to city runs and the Brio is hardly used now and its done only 26k kms.

My next purchase would definitely be an EV. I am already looking at the Nexon EV to replace both the Brio as well as the Ameo, as the city runabout. The running costs of EV makes it a compelling buy. However I am not keen on letting the Ameo go so soon. It's completing 4 years in Dec 2022 and done 28k kms and we aren't going to get a DSG diesel in the near future.
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:14   #53
BHPian

I would opt for - Others (CNG)
CNG seems a viable option for me cause when it comes to cars- I am a sedate driver and frugal. My regular commute in Mumbai is 45 KMs to and fro. Plus one trip to Gujarat of 600 KMs (To and Fro) every month. CNG stations are widely available in Mumbai and Gujarat. Waiting time is never more than 10 minutes. Whenever CNG is not available, there is always the option of petrol. In other words, this is the hybrid car only.

In light of the outrageous price hike in new vehicles accompanied by crude oil prices at approx 120$ per barrel, which may reach 200$ per barrel by 2024, petrol and diesel cars would be pretty cost-prohibitive for daily commuters.

In the current scenario, EVs are out of the question for me due to insufficient charging infrastructure and range anxiety.
X-Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:17   #54
BHPian

I was waiting for a viable hybrid for a few years. Camry was a little out of my reach and its interiors are dated in my opinion; Civic and Corolla have been discontinued, let alone be launched with hybrid powertrains.
Bit the bullet and bought a Skoda Superb - will keep it as long as possible. My runner is a 5 year old Jazz auto, which hopefully will make way for an EV in about 4-5 years time. I am hoping the EV technology matures to the point that superfast charging and regenerative breaking would be standard by then along with a proliferation of charging stations. Living in Bangalore, it is critical to have accessible charging stations to be ready for the next traffic snarl.
Old 5th July 2022, 11:50   #55
BHPian

Voted Petrol.

Reasons:

EVs are not just about a good reliable product; it is also about the ecosystem to support EVs that matter. Charging stations, batter swap; there has to be a definite ecosystem in place before I am confident enough to jump to an EV.

I cannot spend 8 hours charging my car. I barely remember to charge my mobile/earpods/laptop etc. Not keen to add another item for charging in the list. I quick drive to the pump suits me better.

We have power cuts in summer, which will only increase with everyone charging their vehicles, while running their ACs and what not! Are we sure we can support the extra burden on our power supplies? we barely had coal for 4 days in Delhi a month ago!

If all you good samaritans shift to EV, I expect fuel prices to drop. So, I can enjoy my petrol car!

P.S. on hybrids, they are a temp solutions AFAIT; almost a transitory phase to full fledged EVs. Too much premium price, complicated mechanism for maintenance, all that for a temp fix, does not appeal to me.
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:56   #56
BHPian

Voted others - hydrogen. Feel this is the most environmental friendly, viable and sustainable.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:08   #57
BHPian

Can't vote yet, but ICE age all the way for me..... have owned 1 diesel and 2 petrol ones so far and it's not just the commute but the engine feel, sound and connect during the commute that makes up the drive, so as long as ICE cars are available, I'll prefer to drive them.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:12   #58
BHPian

Voted for Electric. When i purchased turbo petrol last year, my decision was to go for BEV in next 10 years ( the ecosystem to going to mature by then for sure. ) Tata is planning to sell 100k EVs next FY.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:15   #59
HrB
BHPian

My highway drives are extremely limited. EV would be just fine with me and hence voted for an EV.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:21   #60
BHPian

Most of my drives are on highways, so its going to be diesels, BoF vehicle... I would also like another similar poll, for Power train + Gear box combo (CVT/DCT/Manual...), Can anyone do that?

Last edited by Sandy Damodaran : 5th July 2022 at 12:21. Reason: Typo correction
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed