Electric 131 19.32%
Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SHEV) 161 23.75%
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) 74 10.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 0.59%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 12:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Not able to vote but my preference was, is, and will be ICE (Petrol). Somehow the SHEV and other EV types never caught my interest or attention! If ICE becomes non-existent when I’m still able to drive, I’ll prefer to walk than get into an EV!
Old 5th July 2022, 12:24   #62
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Voted for diesel.

I'm a big fan of turbo diesels ever since I drove the first diesel car - my Dad's 2010 Maruti Swift diesel. Had a lot of fun driving that car.

The fun factor multiplied after I bought a 2013 VW Vento 1.6 TDI. For the time, 250 Nm of torque was just amazing, and it was an excellent highway machine - fast and efficient. After covering 1 lakh kms on the Vento, I replaced it with a Hyundai Tucson Diesel AWD last year, and have been very happy with my purchase.

Given my high highway usage, I'll continue to prefer having at least one car in the family which is a big turbo diesel, for as long as they are available. Can think of having an EV as a second car (for city usage), although it can never be the primary car in the family, at least in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by anshu1101 : 5th July 2022 at 12:34.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:28   #63
BHPian

My office commute is ~35 Km one way. I want a frugal car with automatic transmission, so my first preference is a Strong Hybrid (hopefully, next gen Innova) with my 2nd preference being a diesel.
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 12:31   #64

I would go for a pure petrol car. We have 4 cars at home and our running is miniscule. We use our cars for 10-12 years. The running of all our cars put together would be 20,000-30,000 kms. So the cost advantage is minimal compared to the upfront premium i would be paying for electric over the petrol. Also there is uncertainty after the 7/8 year mark when the battery warranty ends. It would be a major maintenance cost compared to a petrol car where the engine can do its duty for 10-15 years and 2L+ km.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:44   #65
BHPian

I voted PHEV.

It offers the advantages of pure Electric vehicle for City runs and longer highway rides without the related range anxiety.

I'm surprised why more people who voted for SHEV did not go for PHEV. My guess is most didn't get the point that PHEV comes with petrol engine and electric motor generator too.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:46   #66
BHPian

Voted for Diesel due to my high running (2k per month) & considering the price between petrol & diesel variants is almost negligible (in quite a few models).

I am very keen on EVs & Hybrids. Will test out the City, Hyryder & Maruti's offerings before I plan to switch, their fuel efficiency in city conditions seem to be on par or even better than Diesels. Will definitely move to EVs once the platform matures & the real world range is atleast 400-500 kms.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:49   #67
BHPian

Voted for PHEV

Looking at the impatient me, I cannot imagine myself charging at a commercial electric charging station every now and then for around 1 hour or more. So not too keen on EV only at this point.

PHEV still is a doable option, which can be used with the option of doing home charging at night, and preferable over SHEV.

Mostly a city driver, with limited relaxed highway driving, not too enamoured by the high torque, and repugnant to vibrations, I would prefer an NA petrol over turbo or Diesel, if I were to choose a non electric.

Safety and reliability over thril and entertainment are my priority.

At the end of the day, I would like to strike a balance between mind (Total Cost of Ownership) and heart (driving pleasure).

Having a single 6 year old petrol vehicle with just 20k done, I am still looking for a convincing justification for a second vehicle or replacement. May be a couple of years before I bite the bullet for my next machine.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 5th July 2022 at 12:55.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 12:53   #68
BHPian

Voted for diesel. Only Diesel engine meets all of my requirements now. Like many other said, will buy it as long as it’s available.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:57   #69
BHPian

I got a new petrol car in 2021, I want to use this car as long as possible until the electric infrastructure is sorted. A hybrid system can make the transition smoother until the infrastructure is sorted out. The electric vehicles catching fire in recent times is a big cause for concern. Hopefully we can sort this out by this decade. By next decade and half, we should be all electric.
Old 5th July 2022, 13:09   #70

I will opt for Hybrids!

Benefit of extended range; on other hand with ICE for long drive!

With some compromise like limited boot space and engine response not a deal breaker!

We do have benefits of lower maintenance and running cost! (Sorry! if I'm wrong here, its my impression based on reviews and blog I come across).

Reliability of Hybrid technology from TOYOTA and the impression left by Prius I would love to own a Hybrid soon!
Old 5th July 2022, 13:22   #71
BHPian

Voted for Diesel, have my eyes set on the inline 6 from BMW. I went from NA petrol -Turbo Diesel-Turbo Petrol-NA petrol and I miss the turbo on most days.

I have tried my hands with Tesla Model 3 and for a good time it felt like driving an iPad. Didn’t pull any strings for me. I’ll keep the next car for good time then maybe get a petrol hybrid.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 13:41   #72
BHPian

Good thread. In fact, the options are series of chronological advancements in adoption.

First , Diesel is going to be picked if available any time. Credit the excellent mileage and amazing torque. Government should tax the car/SUV diesel engines, if serious on reducing the usage(Hard for the mile munchers though, including me)

NA petrol, while is good for power, bites hard for the torque, can not see SUV craze matching the NA torque. Fits the bill for small cars well

Turbo petrols are good for diesel replacement with its strong torque, super fun to drive, but as every one knows they suck on mileage with slight heavy foot, with out which fun would not exist.

Strong hybrid, good wave for mileage and torque but not as bad as diesel pollution. Pure EV range is great feature to have maximum use of energy burnt from petrol

Plugin hybrid, Once the battery capacity increases and has decent km in pure EV mode, PHEV is best for city in pure EV mode and highway usage in hybrid mode

As the infra enhances and battery technology enhances, EV is the future.

by the way, voted for PHEV. Look at the Toyota Rav4 prime craze to understand

Last edited by tirumalavoleti : 5th July 2022 at 13:52. Reason: details and correction
Old 5th July 2022, 13:57   #73
BHPian

Voted for - Electric.
Although knowing in the back of mind that EV technology and infrastructure is yet to mature to a point where it becomes the obvious mass choice.

Hybrids - don't measure up the idea of a technological 'khichdi' -> a stop gap arrangement with its own evolutionary traits. Either the best or worst of both worlds -> as you might want to look at it.

Others - A reason why classified as 'others' - not enough traction on technical, economical and infrastructural feasibility.

My current diesel ride should hopefully hold fine till I feel comfortable signing in an EV.
Old 5th July 2022, 13:58   #74
BHPian

There is zero () doubt in my mind that my next vehicle purchase would be electric. I think it's better, the next step in mobility propulsion.

ICE now feels quite backward, and messy.
Old 5th July 2022, 14:02   #75
BHPian

My next car will mostly likely be 5-10 years from now as I've just purchased a new one, so it would most likely be an EV. Would be interesting to see what's on offer in that time horizon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks