Electric 131 19.32%
Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SHEV) 161 23.75%
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) 74 10.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 0.59%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 17:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Presently I have booked Virtus GT, which will be used for long highway trips.
Next I would like to replace my 2020 Jazz CVT with an EV which will be used only for short trips and for travel within the city. I will keep two cars (1 Turbo Petrol+ 1 EV) till we have enough charging infra/ facilities for EVs.
Old 5th July 2022, 17:55   #92
ike
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

I have always wanted to buy a fast diesel AT sedan, however none exist. Hopefully by the time I get my next car SUVs will not be running 1.0 turbo petrols. I like diesel engines and will continue to buy as long as I can. Current car is an S cross 1.3 DDIS.
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 19:34   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Petrol.

1. The choices of Diesel are becoming fewer.
2. The petrol engines are getting better more powerful (total KW not just torque) in many cars, compared to the diesels
3. Regulatory env. is getting tighter and will only go north. If I intend to keep the car beyond 5 - 7 years the resale market will face the conditions at that point in time 2030 and beyond. Might be harsh on Diesel hearts.
4. The actual running cost is not too much in this deregulated market. Even if the prices fluctuate they tend to change in a reasonable amount of time either way.
5. The actual drive experience of a turbo petrol is very different with NVH as opposed to the diesels (even in the same models)
5. The over all commute models have changed. In the pre-pandemic days office commute was always 5 days a week, fixed distance each day. Now the predictable distance covered each month is far lower (might not be for everyone though). So city:high way ratio has changed.
6. Some will test the waters with a second small electric car, that will take over for most city driving. So the net petrol expense will reduce anyway
7. The lower (at least a lakh is many cases) initial cost (and hence the GST, Road tax etc, all a certain percentage of the vehicle cost) makes it easier to own the same brand and model at a more affordable cost.
8. If the car ends up straying longer than 5 - 7 years, the maintenance (might be) will be lower.
Not a big fan of thinking of resale value while buying a new car, however
9. Resale of a Diesel car might be difficult after 5-7 years
Old 5th July 2022, 19:37   #94
BHPian

Voted for diesel. My usage is 90 percent highways, hence diesel is the practical choice, and I love the torque. If I need a car for pure city usage, I will get an EV when it becomes affordable.
Old 5th July 2022, 20:07   #95
BHPian

Voted for Diesel.

I have always owned and driven petrol cars so far. Very soon I'll be in the market for a large family vehicle that can move 6-7 people in comfort, plus the occasional long road trips with go anywhere capability.

With fossil fuels powered cars on their way out in the not so distant future, this could perhaps be my last chance to own a nice Diesel AT. Looking at Fortuner or Meridian for now, unless some other credible option comes up in the next 1 year or so.
Old 5th July 2022, 20:32   #96
BHPian

Next car is at-least 8-10 years away since bought Diesel last year.

By then, EV should mature full fledged and hence voted that.
Old 5th July 2022, 20:42   #97
BHPian

Interesting Poll! Voted for Diesel.

We got a Sonet D AT just few days back. Nothing like a frugal diesel engine and that sheer amount of torque at your disposal. A 1.5 L engine in SC SUV just makes things so effortless and enjoyable.

We also have a 7 year old Petrol Creta which will be due for replacement maybe in another 2-3 years. Probably that point in time I might be in a dilemma whether to pick the Diesel or an EV? Having said that I have high doubts about the availability of 'good' high range cars even 2-3 years down the line. More so about the charging infra. Needless to say that the EV's come at a considerable cost too!

On a side note, I am really smitten by the latest offerings from M&M. Let's see, what the future holds.
Old 5th July 2022, 20:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Strong Hybrid. In my opinion, it is a great mix of two, petrol and electric.

My personal opinion is that we are still in the early adoption phase of going fully electric, given our infra is still gearing up and some of our tier 2/tier 3 /rural areas suffering from load shedding and poor electricity supply. So taking an EV to anywhere in India is still a distant dream. Add to that the confusion, arrogance or whatever we want to call it, of Tata or MG for not being friendly in allowing the chargers. IMHO, Tata is not able to handle the super load, which they were never ever used to, since inception.

We just bought a mild hybrid car, Scross petrol with SHVS technology. It is pretty fuel efficient and does use some useful stuff like Idle start/stop, brake energy distribution etc. So a strong hybrid would be even better (City EV).

Only if Honda EV was priced at least 4-5 lakhs lower and Honda had not spoiled the boot space, it could have been my next car.
Old 5th July 2022, 21:23   #99
BHPian

I voted for EV, provided I start my car shopping at least 4-5 years later. By then, we will have both - a hell lot of vehicle options and charging infra.
If its anything before that my vote goes to a proper petrol (turbo/NA) (or) a Hybrid (PHEV or Strong Hybrid) based on my budget and options available in my budget.
Old 5th July 2022, 21:33   #100
BHPian

My next car will be withing the 12-24 month span. And a third within 18-36m window.

These will be all petrol as I don't intent to love to EV in the next 10yrs. I have always bought used cars, so it's a definite possibility that my next car will be used as well.

I am currently using Thar as my primary and Polo as a backup vehicle.

My next car will be an SUV ~15L (maybe Hyryder or a used Hector or the upcoming Harrier Petrol) and a hatchback (potentially Nios turbo).

Last edited by vellatechie : 5th July 2022 at 21:35.
Old 5th July 2022, 23:45   #101
BHPian

Voted for diesel.

Till 2017 i was only used to Petrols (Premier 118NE, Swift vxi and i10) and was very confident that my usage (roughly 10~12K kms per year) would not need diesels. However my outlook changed after test driving few diesels after which I picked up Aspire TDCi. So I currently prefer a diesel as my next buy as well.

No Turbo Petrols as heavy foot would be penalized a lot
No Hybrids, due to affordability factor.
No EVs yet - the power generation in our country is majorly from Thermal source and hence from carbon foot print point of view, using EV yet is only to avoid personal guilt.
Old 6th July 2022, 00:59   #102

Diesel as long as it's available.
It will take a lot of time for EV infra to reach all the amazing tourist places which I want to visit.
Old 6th July 2022, 01:01   #103
BHPian

New ICE cars = future stranded assets I think.

Sorry just my opinion for my own purchase. I live for the sound of a petrol engine but I don’t have the financial room to buy a new one since I’m retiring early and want to keep my new car for twenty years.

On the other hand, modern EV batteries last forever and EVs have hardly any running costs. And I do want to do the right thing and not burn fossil fuel for some mundane commuting. But EV choices are currently limited, unappealing and expensive. So will try and hold off till 2025.

Outside possibility: Buy a new Jimny, convert to EV by 2029 or so, keep it forever. What I don’t know: can you squeeze 40 kWh worth of battery into a Jimny?
Old 6th July 2022, 01:04   #104

Cannot cast my vote yet, new account. My vote is for Petrol.

We are planning on picking up a couple of cars to refresh our garage and for the foreseeable future they’ll be ICE Petrol vehicles, hopefully, one of them will be bought because of a powerful refined engine.
Old 6th July 2022, 07:12   #105

Hey All,
Newbie on this forum..but gorging on TBHP for the last 10 years atleast. So back to topic:

Diesel power train: anytime, I currently drive a Duster 85PS, but the lure of a 2.0 or higher is always on my mind, atleast the diesel burns slowly alongwith the wallets cash supply.

Petrol: I owned a 1st gen i20 but had to sell it off, since it wasn't very economical for our longer road trips, the moment you fill a Petrol engine, you got to keep an eye on the Fuel Gauge and keep on calculating in your mind how much you need to spend at the next refill, that sort of anxiety doesn't exist with my diesel anymore.

EV: it's pretty tempting, Rivian R1T or a pickup truck in similar looks will be an interesting proposition. But the lack of charging infrastructure and EVs actually not being powered by Clean Green Energy is the roadblock.

Anxious to see how the automotive sectors changes with time.

Thanks,
Don

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks