Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2007, 18:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra launches Scorpio Getaway 4X4 double cab

Really have no idea what this new launch is [No Pics available],but mahindra has launched what they call an SUV version of the scorpio.

Quote:
Scorpio Getaway was launched in two versions and is priced at Rs 6.99 lakh for the two-wheel drive at ex-showroom price (Mumbai) and 7.99 lakh for the four-wheel drive version.

"We have designed it keeping the younger generation and their need for quality Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) product in mind," Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) EVP sales and marketing, Rajesh Jejurikar said.

Punjab has been selected for the launch

Source:
DNA - Money - Mahindra launches SUV 'Scorpio Getaway' - Daily News & Analysis
Old 20th June 2007, 18:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

So they're admitting all this while they weren't selling an SUV?
Old 20th June 2007, 18:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Haa haa haaa... This must be that "sab kuchh hai" SUV. Lol. Basically they have corrected the prices. It looks like a regular base model scorpio with a much lower price than the base model. I wonder though that if there is "sab kuchh hai" in this lower priced SUV then who will buy the regular priced one. Apparently they are selling the regular priced ones as well.
Old 20th June 2007, 18:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

After some googling,I think it is this what they have in mind a pickup truck is what they are labelling as an SUV:

Quote:
The Scorpio Getaway is available in 2WD and 4WD options and comes in 4 attractive colours. It pumps its power from its 2600cc common-rail diesel engine (CRDe). The Scorpio Getaway 2WD ‘Double Cab’ would be priced at Rs. 7,05,246 (ex-showroom Chandigarh) and Rs 6.99 lakh (ex-showroom Navi Mumbai).
Source:
Moneycontrol India :: News :: Mahindra launches lifestyle SUV Scorpio Getaway :: Mahindra and Mahindra :: Press- Market :: Mahindra & Mahindra,SUV Scorpio Getaway,Rajesh Jejurikar

A few pics from their africa site,however has the market matured to accept a pick-up:

Source:
Mahindra | South Africa

Ps:
Mods kindly add double cab to the title please .
Old 20th June 2007, 19:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Ummm... actually if it is the pick up truck that they are launching I would say they are testing waters. Have they created any dedicated line for these trucks for the domestic market? I think not. They may just allocate some from the export lot and see the reaction.

Anyhow this also solves the mystery of the place of launch and its significance. Punjab, but of course. That is one place where they stand the best chance of success. Traditionally scorpios are a hot seller in Northern states of Punjab and Haryana (even Delhi, I guess). Now a pick up version of the same is being launched in Punjab. A state that is awash with success in farming and adoption of modern technologies for farming. They have rich farmers who are way ahead in lifestyle when compared to many in the metros. A concept so highly western has the best chances of success in a state where highly educated, young sardars, bare chested and wearing Levis run tractors through hectares of fertile fields. They are the ones who can and happily will buy into this concept.
Old 20th June 2007, 19:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

How can they call this an SUV? It's can only be categorised as a Pick-Up truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
They have rich farmers who are way ahead in lifestyle when compared to many in the metros. A concept so highly western has the best chances of success in a state where highly educated, young sardars, bare chested and wearing Levis run tractors through hectares of fertile fields. They are the ones who can and happily will buy into this concept.
Yes, but I don't think that rich farmers would like to use something like the Scorpio on the farm for overloading farm produce/manure/fertilizer onto it. A 207/Mahindra Pik-Up does the job better & can probably take much more abuse. Secondly, I don't know how many rich farmers do these jobs on their fields themselves. If the rest of North India (if not the whole of India) is anything to go by they will usually have workers doing these jobs for them.

I could be completely wrong though.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

I kinda like it from the rear! Looks purposeful.

However, would be interesting to see if they get any sort of significant sales.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is this Mahindra model meant to pre-empt TATA TL XENON truck in any way ?

Probably Mahindra's hurried move to prevent TATA from making a cleen sweep of the market.
Old 20th June 2007, 23:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Not a bad thing, but TL looks better, if only it had the grunt
Here are a couple of pics

Old 21st June 2007, 00:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
So they're admitting all this while they weren't selling an SUV?
LOL, buttt...

If the safari is a SUV, why shouldn't the scorpio be one ? are we driven by what the western markets call a SUV ? I think we need not be. Our definition is certainly different from theirs. This new mahindra is nowhere near being an SUV as is any Indian made SUV. But still it looks pretty cooool & I love it,could probably be my next ride if there are no inherent problems associated with it.
Old 21st June 2007, 00:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
LOL, buttt...
I love it,could probably be my next ride if there are no inherent problems associated with it.
i love it to man i am on a look out for new car
this might be it
Old 21st June 2007, 00:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

According to me, the rear door backwards is an opportunity royally lost. Sum of all the parts does not create the desired result need some aesthetics as well. On that count the TL will have this eaten up.

Note this also has a rear spoiler on the top of the tailgate A LA NASCAR

Last edited by 1100D : 21st June 2007 at 00:46.
Old 21st June 2007, 09:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
LOL, buttt...

If the safari is a SUV, why shouldn't the scorpio be one ? are we driven by what the western markets call a SUV ? I think we need not be. Our definition is certainly different from theirs. This new mahindra is nowhere near being an SUV as is any Indian made SUV. But still it looks pretty cooool & I love it,could probably be my next ride if there are no inherent problems associated with it.
I think a vehicle has to be atleast 4x4 to be called a SUV. It may be a soft roader, but still no 4x4, no SuV
Old 21st June 2007, 09:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I kinda like it from the rear! Looks purposeful.

However, would be interesting to see if they get any sort of significant sales.
It looks cool from the front as well as the back, but side-ways it looks yuck.. The tall cabin does not do much justice to the aesthetics.. Although, it may be quite cozy and comfy on the inside..
Old 21st June 2007, 10:01   #15
BHPian

Looks like the customised Scorpio gifted to M S Dhoni...Except for the PINK n BLACK colour!

Most Viewed