Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 02:48   #1
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study

Toyota India has just announced that it has increased the prices of its vehicles by over one lakh rupees including the Innova Crysta!
Being an Innova Crysta owner myself I has been following the price revisions of the car very closely.
And just for reference we shall see how the ITC share price goes and performs in comparison
Let us take the model 2.4 GX AT for reference.

Year: 2016

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study-daaed604f34c4df99f9922f822a0a091.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study-8a91e09ad85744f59ad4efde450559b9.jpeg

Year: 2020

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study-3112854e2e4b484195a350098e2c1180.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study-6c71bffd5d1847d9be5e0ab206deb3f4.jpeg

Year: 2022

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study-a88f254b059442539991e32fa57b9fbb.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study-ced5cedfaf3d4bf5a179750f3868c8dd.jpeg

Conclusion-

Innova (GX AT) Price ⬆️ by ₹5.64L = over 35%
ITC share Price ⬆️ by ₹33 = 13%

Inference-

Being an Innova Crysta owner myself I can vouch for its reliability and dependability, but looking from a third person’s perspective the price hikes seem a bit too ambitious and atrocious. Nevertheless the product is going to sell like hot cakes, I can vouch for it.

In life be an Innova Crysta, not ITC

BHPians! What is your take on this exorbitant price increase!

Last edited by Sheel : 8th July 2022 at 19:52. Reason: More than 2 smilies.
QuentinTino is offline   (90) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta vs ITC: A comparative study

So what you are saying is that people who got their Crystas a few years back have not lost any money due to depreciation as the new prices have increased to absurd levels and that I can actually sell my crysta at a profit ?

Last edited by SPARKled : 4th July 2022 at 13:53.
SPARKled is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

If you had bought Rs. 20L worth of ITC shares along with your Innova Crysta, you would have received Rs. 1.2L per year as dividends. That would have taken care of your Innova Crysta's diesel, insurance and maintenance bills.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th July 2022 at 14:30.
SmartCat is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
So what you are saying is that people who got their Crystas a few years back have not lost any money due to depreciation as the new prices have increased to absurd levels and that I can actually sell my crysta at a profit ?
Well technically, yes.
I have heard about two or three instances where people have sold their Innova Crysta at almost the same OTR price at which they bought it, or their the ex-showroom price being the selling price for other cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
If you had bought Rs. 20L worth of ITC shares along with your Innova Crysta, you would have received Rs. 1.2L per year as dividends. That would have taken care of your Innova Crysta's diesel, insurance and maintenance bills.

That is true!
Should be followed for a person buying a Fortuner!
He should invest half in Stocks for covering expenses, and the rest should be to buy an Innova.
80% Fun. 180% Value.
QuentinTino is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 09:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
At what ratio of investment + car purchase cost will this work out for a German luxury car?
CarJunki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:23   #6
BANNED

Hahaha. That's the strangest comparison I've ever seen. Far stranger than Celerio vs Mini Cooper, which I've seen in an SEO tool.

In defense of ITC, while it didn't budge during the bull run, it has the strength to go against the tide and is stronger when everything else is getting weaker.

Secondly, I can buy and sell the ITC share at the market price -- losing or gaining from the market movement. With an Innova, if the new car prices go up, my used car prices will also go up. But, they won't match the new car prices since we haven't factored in the depreciation. Once we compare the current selling price of an ITC share and an Innova -- both purchased some 5 or so years ago -- the gains in Innova's favor certainly won't be as drastic as they appear when comparing new car prices.

Edit: I also forgot about the dividends, which I recalled after reading SmartCat's post. On one side, ITC is putting money in my pocket in the form of dividends while Innova is sucking money out in maintenance and fuel costs. Although, ITC shares in my account don't offer me any value in utility.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 5th July 2022 at 10:51.
MaheshY1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
At what ratio of investment + car purchase cost will this work out for a German luxury car?
With German luxury cars, you get immense pleasure and sometimes immense pain. And nobody knows why they are worth so much.

So your investments too should reflect the same. Like this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ft-thread.html (The Cryptocurrency & NFT Thread)

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th July 2022 at 10:30.
SmartCat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 12:34   #8
BHPian

This is kind of what I was thinking the other day

I was thinking one day not far from today, we would see these instruments traded on the stock exchanges -

Toyota Legender 2.8 AT 4x4 Dec Fut
Toyota Fortuner 2.8 AT 4x2 Sep Fut
Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4 Z Dec Fut
And so on and so forth...

Infact this could be the only way ordinary folks like me can be associated with these err.. legendary vehicles
Romeo_Mike is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Bizarre comparison. Well for a consumer any vehicle barring few antiques or limited versions any vehicle is a depreciating asset. Infact the need of the hour is that a strong message must be sent out to Toyota for pricing their products atrociously. Companies need to be more empathetic, classic example being Mahindra which instills its products with features from their German counterparts. Toyota is going out of bounds in pricing their products. Ofcourse taxation policies are directly proportional to price increase, but is it the case of Toyotas price increase??
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 14:03   #10
BHPian

This reflects pure laziness of Indian buyers.

I own Mahindra Marazzo. I have driven Innova Crysta multiple times. Innova is definitely a good car but not at any price point.

I enjoy driving Marazzo more than Innova. It offers more seating space also for passengers.
vagabond128 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 14:28   #11
BHPian

I kind of get why you made this comparison, but in actuality you're comparing the cost of expense (the Innova which is a depreciating asset) against the cost of investment (the ITC stock).

While the ITC stock moved lesser than the price of the car, what you're actually not inferring is that you can sell the stock today for 13% higher than your investment price + dividends, while your Innova would still depreciate, selling it would not, or just about recover your initial investment, and buying a new one would cost more.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 15:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post

I own Mahindra Marazzo. I have driven Innova Crysta multiple times. Innova is definitely a good car but not at any price point.

I enjoy driving Marazzo more than Innova. It offers more seating space also for passengers.
Dear sir, I respect your personal opinion that you enjoy driving Marazzo more than Innova and offers more space than Innova. But calling all the buyers lazy? And not a good car at any price point?

All the buyers are not gullible or lazy that they keep buying Innovas without any merit.

I would love if Innova wasn't so expensive or had such price increase in a short period but Toyota is increasing cost and still there is a waiting period. It surely tells something.
Stolidus500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 17:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
Companies need to be more empathetic
That's not how capitalism works. A car is not an essential item like vaccine and medicines that companies need to show empathy. I don't even know what has giving "more features" to do with "empathy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
With due respect, buying a successful product doesn't make anyone lazy nor buying a flop model make anyone ingenious.

Last edited by Technic90 : 5th July 2022 at 17:22.
Technic90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 17:29   #14
APV
BHPian

Bizzarre comparison . I read the hot thread title 'ITC vs Innova Crysta' in Team-BHP home page & thought this thread is about an argument/altercation in one of the ITC hotels where the management didn't provide parking for Crysta.
APV is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 18:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
That's not how capitalism works. A car is not an essential item like vaccine and medicines that companies need to show empathy. I don't even know what has giving "more features" to do with "empathy".

With due respect, buying a successful product doesn't make anyone lazy nor buying a flop model make anyone ingenious.
When i say "empathy" its the manufacturer's understanding towards customer requirement and providing them with affordable price. Well capitalism is not the issue but its the "monopoly capitalism " which IMHO in the above context ( Toyota price inflation ) is over ambitious.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks