Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 23:49   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you get a resolution at the earliest. However it would be unfair to criticize Jeep for this unfortunate incident. A few lemons do pass through the stringent QC checks in place even at the most technologically advanced manufacturing facilities.. Unfortunately, you were at the receiving end of this one.
Dude, you can’t be serious! He’s paid over 30 big ones for this car and you expect Jeep to sell something that has broken down twice in a week after the delivery?

Even the humble Rs 3.5 lakh Alto has better reliability stats than this one. This is completely unjustified from the customer’s standpoint. I hope Jeep gets its act together. The other Jeep owners would be mighty worried now not realising when the cluster is going to throw up all those warnings.

Vinit, hope you get your car sorted man. This must be agonisingly painful.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th July 2022 at 23:50.
Gannu_1 is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 00:33   #32
BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Off late hearing a lot of manufacturing defects/ PDI slips from FCA. These people should be awarded for stabbing themselves with poor PDI & after-sales service. As I said way back in 2018, a very competent product is in very incompetent hands (Indian Management). We can forgive Tata for these kinds of slip-ups but not a 'premium' brand.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2022 at 09:38. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th July 2022, 00:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
However it would be unfair to criticize Jeep for this unfortunate incident. A few lemons do pass through the stringent QC checks in place even at the most technologically advanced manufacturing facilities.

Expecting a full refund or another brand new car would be unrealistic.
LOL!! Have you worked in an Automotive company to make such a huge comment? Automotive companies have a stringent QC check before the car makes it out of a Production line especially the segment being discussed.

And expecting a full refund or a replacement is a basic reciprocative ask which has no extra monetary benefits for the mental stress the owner has and is going through.

Cheers
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 01:02   #34
BHPian

Brand new cars being driven just a couple of km from the show room and then giving problems shows the kind of interest the company has in our country.
No matter what the price is, whether 1 lakh or 35 lakh QC means QC. I can’t believe some members have that “chalega” attitude still. The chalega attitude people should then be okay for the company to reimburse the entire amount paid or replacement of a new car. Teambhp should seriously put up a thread such as this, “Warning ! Cars not to purchase in India.” I sure many new car buyers or at least the ones on the forum will then re evaluate their buying decision of certain cars.
raycers_honda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 01:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Together we called the company’s MOPAR 24-hour RSA, who refused any help as the vehicle broke down within 48 hours of delivery and RSA wasn’t activated yet.

RSA activation is a cruel joke. In 2011 I had got my 1st car - a Maruti Ritz. 15th August afternoon iI got the car & my over enthu cousin crashed it really bad on 16th afternoon. Maruti RSA picked up the car within 20 mins of me calling the SA. Car was delivered with all denting painting in 8 days flat by Sai service & the vehicle wasn't registered at the time of crash still they pulled off this like a pro.

Ny Jeep Compass S AT 4X4 is 15 days old & I'm really worried after reading your post. With tons of Highway runs especially Bangalore - Pune - Vadodara this kind of post isnt confidence inspiring.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th July 2022 at 04:20. Reason: JC —> Jeep Compass. Please use full names for car models. Thank you for your understanding & cooperation.
knightfurry is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 02:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have only one thing to say. It's high time we get an Anti-Lemon law in India. Some other countries have a government repository where you can report issues with cars. When issues cross a threshold (all over the country), the company is forced to issue a recall. Even when the issues cross a threshold for a particular car, the owner is entitled to initiate proceedings with the anti-lemon law.
jinojohnt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 05:25   #37
BHPian

The last thing one wants is to get stranded in the middle of nowhere in a car breakdown. I am quite sure now that either PDI is not taken seriously by FCA or not even actually done at Jeep dealerships.

If only I had checked out the twitter page of Jeep India prior to buying I would have changed my decision. There is a daily barrage of complaints from new owners with issues ranging from long standing unresolved complaints to shoddy paintwork. Even TATA and MG twitter pages don't have such consistent negative tweets. For everyone's complaint tweet there's the same bot-like reply from Jeep/FCA. Any potential buyer for FCA products including Jeep should be made aware of their twitter page.

While so far (about 2 months / 1000km ownership) I haven't encountered any engine or performance related issues, PDI was not done by the Jeep people before handing over the vehicle to me, or it was done with full knowledge of faulty paintwork / dents which was meticulously made unnoticeable during delivery time, that I failed to notice it when I inspected the vehicle myself.

Escalating the issue to FCA only results in the issue being redirected to the dealership and in my case FCA (customer care) once even tried to portray that they were informed that my issue was already resolved by the dealer. When a complaint with a reference number is allotted and if you try to start a email chain, the dealer / FCA reply with a different mail with vague text like 'Sir...we will try to resolve your issue' etc. without referencing the complaint number or specifying the 'issue'. They also try to leave out some recipients out of the mail trail.

One Jeep owner in Pune has had such experience of sending the car for service and getting the car back with a new problem. Apparently when the car was taken back to resolve the 'new' issue the service center came up with a solution for which he was asked to pay a charge. I believe this episode has been shared by the gentleman on google reviews of sky moto Pune.

My family loves the car itself due to the looks, build quality, interiors and road manners but I shudder at the thought of sending it for servicing in the authorized service centers in the fear that the car will come up with new problems or damage that was not there before.
argchoff is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 08:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
You read it right, the second time in the first week of owning the car, it has been towed away.

I was stuck there for hours with only my two kids (7 Year old's) with me in the rain.
I will never forgive and forget this.

My cousin, who was to go to the airport, was told to leave by Uber, and her mom asked me, "Where is your New Car."
Man I feel for you. I really do. After spending so much hard earned money.

Have you tried tweeting to them? If nothing else, the negativity associated with their company's product might encourage them to swing into action.

If you push hard enough, you just might catch a break and get the vehicle replaced for one without issues.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th July 2022 at 09:32. Reason: Edited opening line and minor formatting change.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 09:26   #39
BHPian

Whereas I sit in an Uber second Monday in a row, insisting on the driver wearing a mask
I can't but feel regret

When booking said Uber, my boy (mini bhpian, loves and lives cars) asked me,

"What happened to the new Jeep? Is it broken again"

Told him a friend has a very old jeep that broke and got towed away like ours. He has taken ours since it's shiny new.

"You're kind he said". I didn't know what else to say or answer this. We always protect our little ones from outside forces. This one loves cars so much that I know it will hit him harder than it did me.

At the end, who are we fooling, ourselves or the world!

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th July 2022 at 09:35. Reason: Formatting and corrections.
vinitbhavi is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 09:40   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"What happened to the new Jeep? Is it broken again"
We always protect our little ones from outside forces. This one loves cars so much that I know it will hit him harder than it did me.
I understand it but you don't need to get sentimental with this. Golden rule, don't feel bad for anything that can be bought with money. You tell the kid exactly what happened and how you are going to get this fixed.

Quote:
At the end, who are we fooling, ourselves or the world!
A wise man said, the best things in life are free; it's the second best that keeps us toiling.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th July 2022 at 09:42.
Turbanator is offline   (123) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 09:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

This is really bad QC from Jeep. Paying 35 big ones and it has broken down twice.

Secondly the RSA debacle you had last week.

Third, workshop not open on Sunday.

It’s crazy how a manufacturer can easily have a non customer oriented policy and still sell cars at such a premium. And no loaner car till now.

It’s pretty bad from Jeep’s perspective on customer handling.

The confidence is lost, value for the brand is gone.

I hope some really quick and professional actions are taken to restore faith.

You have our support Vinit. Don’t get disheartened.
Desmosedici is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 10:20   #42
BHPian

Looks like quite a few people in the same boat as me. Been shortlisting SUVs since last year, but every time I narrow down on something a service issue such as this pops up. Cars can go wrong and they will. It's how they deal with it that makes the difference. Heck, if this is what 3.6 million gets me, then why bother spending it. Get something cheaper so when it goes bad you can throw it away and get the next thing. Yes, cars do seem to be going the consumable way, which is truly a shame.

For context, my 2009 Linea's AC stopped cooling 2 weeks after delivery. I called the Sales guy who had the car picked up, found the issue (rat bite), patched it, delivered the car back in the same day without charge. 13 years and 1 month later, that patch is still holding (I park outside in the sun/rain). This was Concorde Motors though way back in the day.
caffeineAM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:08   #43
BHPian

Threads like these are perfect replies for people coming up with fantasy statements like

1. Reliability is overrated
Consider yourself lucky if you haven't faced any serious issues because once you do, the way your confidence gets shaken whenever you start your car is something that can only be experienced, not explained.

2. Every car is reliable if maintained right
What special maintenance was OP supposed to do to avoid this?

3. All brands are equally reliable today
Tell JD survey guys to stop the scam then. If there was any truth in this, Toyota wouldn't be the world's largest manufacturer with those high prices and low features nor people would buy Maruti with that kind of build quality.

4. Nothing special in any particular brand's after-sales
Obviously you have never owned any Japanese brand or seen their service. Having owned Maruti, Ford, Hyundai and Toyota, I can tell you even a 4 lakh Alto owner gets much better service and treatment compared to any other brand. There is no comparison between Japanese and non-Japanese service experience. They maintain consistency while others live with "chalta hai attitude". Plus just the service centre ambience in Toyota is 1000 times better than Ford and Hyundai, let's not even bring TATA and Mahindra into this comparison.

5. You have complete peace of mind under warranty
WRONG. If you get 100 years of warranty but the service centre never manages to fix your problem so you keep getting stranded in the middle of the road, where is the peace of mind? Warranty just saves your wallet, nothing else.

6. All cars have problems
True, but only few manufacturers are interested in solving them and those few are also the ones who have the lowest probability of stranding you on road. And reliability doesn't mean 0 problems.

7. It's not manufacturer's fault, dealership should have done proper PDI
Are you kidding me? PDI doesn't mean opening up every part of the car to check if its working. It's only to see any visible or obvious damages. Blame the horrible manufacturing and QC process of the companies like Jeep and TATA.

8. People are stupid (aka herd mentality) to buy a car based on perceived reliability
Maybe you are not aware, we do not have lemon laws or even decent consumer protection laws. You are stuck with whatever you get, it's cheaper to sell it at a loss than go to court. So is it safer to buy one based on people's feedback or buying one which hardly anyone owns?

Cars are supposed to take you from point A to point B without breaking down. Everything else is secondary, including safety. A 5 star rated car which spends weeks in service centres every few months or a premium car which which can't get your family home without breaking down is as useless as blinker fluid. Only in this forum, I do see a lot of support for Jeep's reliability but out in the real world, they hardly got reputation on reliability front. I didn't even bother walking into any Jeep's showroom during my purchase.

My advice to OP would be: Get it fixed, sell it a loss and move on. Otherwise you will be paranoid about every small thing in future with this car. Only if you manage to run without issues for over a year, then you get your confidence back.
Technic90 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 13:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you get a resolution at the earliest. However it would be unfair to criticize Jeep for this unfortunate incident. A few lemons do pass through the stringent QC checks in place even at the most technologically advanced manufacturing facilities.. Unfortunately, you were at the receiving end of this one.

The Compass is one of the most beloved cars in the Team BHP community. Multiple posts are there which talk about the Compass being the best real SUV on sale in India. The build quality is far better than the competition.

I hope the dealership is able to solve all the teething troubles to your satisfaction. Expecting a full refund or another brand new car would be unrealistic.
Would the community feel the same way if this was a Tata or Mahindra?
Would TeamBHPians be 'okay' calling it just a lemon which does pass through QC?

For cars half this price, this very forum has ripped apart the manufacturers reputation and brought back incidences from a decade in the past.

Why is it 'okay' for Jeep to give a lemon?
&
If it is a lemon - this BEHAViOUR and ATTITUDE by Jeep is unacceptable.

For my Hexa breakdown, Tata Motors (Fortune Motors Nerul) - where I have NEVER stepped foot before - the workshop along with 2 watchmen and 5 technicians was open till 11:30 in the night.
My father was seated comfortably in the lounge from 8:30 PM till 11:30
Refreshments were offered.
My car was offloaded from the flatbed - at 11:30 PM on a SATURDAY night.

Sunday morning, I had an updated from the SA. Parts were flown in under VOR circumstances by Tuesday evening the car was ready. With proper diagnosis, with images, videos flowing in regularly by the SA and some senior officials also following up.
For a 5 year old car. Not even their flagship or new or in warranty.

Definitely a more SERIOUS approach is expected from a brand that has delivered a car with 2 issues in 2 weeks of delivery.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 13:29   #45
d.j
BHPian

Hi Vinit, it’s a sad and a disheartening event but life happens and you should not regret yourself about the decision, you did your right in time. Don’t let this hit your head, stay focused, make sure jeep puts all in writing, sequence of what happened and the corrective action they take.

They must give you same spec vehicle as a runner car, do extensive testing and then only hand over the vehicle back to you - don’t get in caught of the mental swirl of car standing in workshop for few extra days, though this shouldn't have happened but it will get resolved.

Jeep – you ran a bad and unacceptable job! and now the onus solely rests on you to get back Vinit’s and fellow owners or for that matter anyone's confidence back.

Regards/DJ
d.j is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks