Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 12:12   #76
BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Feel terribly sorry for your ordeal. No one should go through this after spending their hard earned money on an item one is enthusiastic about.

Its shocking how the factory PDI missed such a big blunder before the car left their inspection area.

Any automotive OE expects critical checks for every component they produce at vendor end, and it could only be the callous nature of the particular factory department employees to let such an issue pass through them.

The job of the PDI department is to only paste a 'PDI OK' sticker, it seems.

A second check should have been the dealer PDI, but we only have to keep guessing whether it is done honestly or not.

A robust system set in place to avoid such mistakes can usually be easily over-ridden by staff and management with no integrity, passing the risk over totally to the end user.

Also, the way the dealer and RSA handles the issue is quite saddening. A brand new car facing issues should be the first priority, activated RSA or weekend are secondary.

You deserve a full replacement vehicle. No two ways about it. What is the assurance that other issues don't crop up in your vehicle, and for how long?

I wish consumers had strong anti-lemon laws in our country to deal with rogue manufacturers who take their consumers for granted.

I sincerely hope Jeep does the right thing, this and more such recent incidents have already created a dent in the minds of the enthusiast community.
satya180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:54   #77
BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Extremely sorry to hear about your ordeal. Being stuck in the rains with 2 kids with no help is absolutely a despicable situation to be in.

I was in the market for a Jeep, but I have completely made up my mind NOT to go a Jeep after reading this. In fact, I will actively discourage people from buying a Jeep after this!

I think all said and done, Hyundai and Mahindra are doing a much better job at customer service than many others- and definitely a gazillion times better than Jeep. Easier to choose an SUV option from these and be in peace.
toofanwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:05   #78

Very unfortunate situation. Best thing to do for any manufacturer is to immediately get in touch with the customer. Give him an assurance that all the issues will be resolved. It never happens in most of the cases.

My personal advice to you will be do not start hating the wonderful machine immediately - the jeep compass. I think the issues will be resolved soon it will become great car again. I have had my experience with brand new Hyundai Creta too. The car is very good now. I never had any issues after that. But I simply don't like it for no reason. The disappointment was too much during initial issues on the car and the unprofessional Hyundai handling made it even bigger. The feeling never turned positive.

Give it sometime. Keep loving the car.

My experience below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...nt-engage.html (2021 Hyundai Creta 1.4L DCT | Electronic issues, warnings & gear won't engage)
Senpran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:15   #79
BHPian

I feel incredibly sorry for your experiences with the vehicle. I am actually angry over the thing that the dealership and RSA kept you stranded with your kids. That's really unacceptable. Even if RSA was not activated, they could have helped considering the seriousness of the issue. I hope the escalations will work out your way. Take care!
ketan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:37   #80

I would like to share my experience as well since everyone is talking about reliability for such a costly product.

I had owned Jeep Compass Longitude Petrol (AT) for 2 years (2019-2021). While I loved this car and this was the first automatic I owned and first Petrol as well in at least 10 years (and 5-6 purchases), the horrific Jeep incident happened with me almost after 2 years of owing the car and around 8000 kms of total run.

I used to face small niggles like sometimes the car not starting but used to get started after an hour or so and coincidentally this happened 2-3 times and the vehicle was parked at home so I did take the other car and assumed maybe some issues that Automatic cars face, so it never really bothered me.

Almost 2 years into the ownership, I was travelling on Delhi Panipat highway at around 90-100 speed and the engine just stopped at that speed and I had to shift from the right most overtaking lane to the left side of the busy highway. I thought maybe I accidentally pushed the auto start button, hence the engine shut off (Obviously that can't happen till the car is in Park Mode, but at that time, I just thought that may have happened as the car was totally fine and not run a lot).

I restarted the car and it started normally and I continued on my way, but within a km or two the same thing happened again and I had to save myself again from the oncoming traffic and move to the left side. I contacted RSA after that and they told me that they can tow away, but since I was stranded in the middle of the highway, I decided to try to reach to a nearby Gas station (since there are number of stations on that road and I myself have worked in a PSU earlier, so thought we could halt there and check if the car is working since I could have found a station within a km or 2). This time I drove very slowly and around the left side of the road only but the car was unable to drive that much, although it was getting on and off continuously, but I decided to wait at that location only and got the RSA help which took time to come but I can understand that because I was on the highway and at least 30-40 mins from the nearest city and 70-80 mins from the nearest Jeep Dealership.

I read that a similar issue happened recently to one of the members and he had shared a similar experience, that was the day when I actually decided to be a member here and share my experience as well but by that time the thread was closed or moved out.

Sorry for the long post, but at the end, the Service Centre found that the Fuel Pump and Fuel pipe needs to be replaced and that was the reason why the engine was switching off (I read that the other person who shared the same issue had been reported some other reason for engine getting off while driving), which I'm not sure but anyways by that time I had decided that I would never take this car on the highway and maybe use in city till I decide to buy my next purchase. But after getting the same replaced at the Service Centre, the Service Centre informed me that the AC is not working and gave me around 30-35k estimate of replacement of various parts. I argued with them and RSA as well that the AC was completely fine before I handed over the vehicle to the towing truck and was myself using the same in the scorching heat when I was travelling but they did not agree.

Tired and horrified already, I just wanted to bring back my car to home and get the same checked at the nearest Service Centre in Delhi, and since the SA told me that the same will be covered under insurance, I brought back my car home and then decided that I will sell it off immediately and buy a new car.

Though I loved the drive, suspension, build quality, but due to all this experience especially my car getting switched off at such high speeds where I could have faced an extreme accident, I sold my vehicle and replaced it with Audi A6 (I was going for a luxury buy for my next vehicle in next 2-3 years by replacing my 2017 Innova Crysta but this experience made me replace my Jeep Compass at priority).

(P.s: I had booked the BMW 330Li M Sport along with sales contract but at the last moment Audi A6 decision happened and how I was confused which one to choose and why, let me know if anyone would be interested to hear on that, will post a separate post in the relevant thread)
AdB1991 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 14:12   #81
BHPian

Sorry for all that you are going through. I hope you get a replacement and Jeep will do the right thing (I really don't want you or anyone to go through the pain of worrying what else might be wrong or when next it might fail). Makes me think twice now about Jeep meridian as my next choice. Like others said, I'll be watching this closely to see how Jeep/Landmark handles it from here.
warp_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 14:38   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe I have not followed all the details, but I don't think it is right to describe this car as a lemon.

A lemon is a vehicle which has repeated problems in multiple areas, to the extent that repeated attempts to repair it are in vain and the vehicle is simple not viable.

Is this not a car with one or two specific problems? The biggest problem of all being the apathetic attitude of the dealer and manufacturer in getting them fixed?

I am not trying to excuse anything. When I read stuff like Jeroen's posts, I realise that almost every single nut, bolt and screw not only has to be done up properly, but has specified torque, etc. A connector that is or has become loose, to the extent of loosing vital engine fluids, is absolutely unforgivable sloppy manufacturing. And leaving a family stranded with their new vehicle broken down, as a result, is unforgivable on the service side.

Not only am I not trying to excuse anything, I am quite a firebrand on consumer rights (if we can use that term in India!) because it is our money, and when it comes to spending it on a car, lots of it.

Recent posts from Vinit are looking more positive. Hoping that the trend continues, and that a rough start is transformed into a great future with this car. All the best, Vinit!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:10   #83

Really sorry to hear the trouble you are going through Vinit.

As a car enthusiast myself, I can very well relate to how you must be feeling. When we buy a new car, we make plans to drive as much as possible. However, car breaking down so frequently will hit the confidence, not only for you but also for your family.

This behavior from JEEP is absolutely surprising, and totally unacceptable.

Even I was planning to buy one in the next couple of months, but now, I am having second thoughts.

Hope this is resolved soon and you are back to what you enjoy the most, DRIVING

Please don't let one bitter experience reduce your passion, it's absolutely not worth.
The Blue Panda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A lemon is a vehicle which has repeated problems in multiple areas, to the extent that repeated attempts to repair it are in vain and the vehicle is simple not viable.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...336050&thumb=1

Anything defective or won't work is a genuine lemon.
Attached Images

Last edited by som9729 : 19th July 2022 at 15:34.
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 17:11   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Anything defective or won't work is a genuine lemon.
Thanks. But, especially when talking of cars, I'll stick with my definition, which is specific an nuanced.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 18:53   #86
Team-BHP Support

OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. But, especially when talking of cars, I'll stick with my definition, which is specific an nuanced.
Absolutely, here's what Lemon implies relating to Automobiles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_(automobile)

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th July 2022 at 19:22. Reason: deleted comments relating to update.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 19:16   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
As per my understanding and communication, the problem is in the wire which is connected to the fuse box, as the fuel pump, is not getting current from the same. So the entire wiring harness is being replaced.
Doesn't changing the entire wiring harness might cause electrical issues in future? It will never be the same as factory fitted one. Our i20 had to go through some extensive wiring issues and the electrical part of the vehicle was never the same.

Vinit, I would suggest, you try and push for a new replacement from Jeep. Changing the entire wiring harness in a new car does not sit right with me. What are the chances of ECM getting affected due to this? Expert in our forum can clarify this.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th July 2022 at 09:38. Reason: edited quoted post.
RedMaw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 19:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I write this with the utmost regret, horror and, for a better lack of word, disgust. This is the second weekend I'm without the jeep in the first week of ownership.

You read it right, the second time in the first week of owning the car, it has been towed away.

I took delivery of my brand new Jeep Compass S 4×4 Diesel AT (top-end variant costing Rs. 35.50 Lakh OTR) on 8th July from Landmark Jeep, WORLI and the odo reading at the time of delivery was 87 km.
So sorry to hear of your experience. I have been abroad the last few years but all my horror and disgust were triggered when I read that a topped out Compass costs 35+L in India. What is happening!
4Runner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 22:21   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
Doesn't changing the entire wiring harness might cause electrical issues in future? It will never be the same as factory fitted one. ....
It should be a factory one. Genuine spare part. Carefully fitted, it should be very much the same. Perhaps even better!

The problem is that car wiring of today uses a harness, so nothing can be done for individual connections. Change one wire? Change the lot. More or less.

I think many of our members have suffered this due to rat damage. I don't think it need to be approached pessimistically. Having said that, everything on the harness must, of course, be disconnected and reconnected. Not a problem in itself, but sure there's a chance of the odd loose connection. Which can be found and fixed.

Personal opinion, but no, I don't think that a new wiring harness suggests replacing the vehicle.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 22:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Really unfortune and I hope you get a new replacement Jeep. Please put your foot down and try your best for a brand new replacement.

While last browsing I came across this news article about more new Jeep vehicles having similar issues. It seems there is some problem in the Electrical’s. Could be related to a particular batch of cars.

For what’s it’s worth see this link.

https://www.motorbeam.com/more-incid...breaking-down/

Jeep really needs to fix these issues. I myself own a 2020 Compass and this has me worried too.

Last edited by Traveler : 19th July 2022 at 22:29.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks