Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 22:29   #91
BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Many have suggested to give the car back and get full refund or a different car altogether. How does that work? Will they transfer the ownership to the Dealer? Is it common to get a full refund for a car?
Old 19th July 2022, 22:53   #92
BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I was stuck there for hours with only my two kids (7 Year old's) with me in the rain.
I will never forgive and forget this.
Absolutely horrendous! The kids must be looking forward to the trip in the brand new car enjoying the rain under that sunroof and all that excitement must have turned into a nightmare. My heart goes out to your kids. So heartbreaking. Brand new vehicle, two days old and have to face this after paying 35 big ones. Unfortunately in our country, the way things works, unless you know people at the highest level in the system, nothing happens. The dealer and company will just shrug and move on. Their overpriced low quality cars will continue to sell.
yashg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 22:55   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, could have been worse.

Isn't landmark Jeep the same folks who had beaten up a customer earlier? They must be very influential enough to not bother about reputation or worry about Jeep taking any action.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 23:05   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
Doesn't changing the entire wiring harness might cause electrical issues in future? It will never be the same as factory fitted one. Our i20 had to go through some extensive wiring issues and the electrical part of the vehicle was never the same.
I partly agree with you that changing the harness won't help anything. But it's not because of a "factory fitted" related issue. It's because, they won't really change it! They just SAY they will change it to cool things down.

Technically, in today's date, wiring harnesses are not built so bad that it malfunctions in such a short time. It just doesn't work that way. Not even in cheap cars. The problem lies with the various components and sensors that the said harness/es connect and interconnect. The only logical way a wiring harness can malfunction is because of a fire or then a short circuit or a mix of both or an accident which tears or shears up parts of the car and hence tears up the wiring in the affected places. Other possible causes could be shoddy repair work or then in extremely rare circumstances, owner misfortune or bad luck. But it doesn't happen just like that. On a new car. Period.

So why would the ASS claim to change it and be an angel?
1)they show a good face to the parent company or manufacturer company as to how whole heartedly they are working towards eliminating a 'huge technical issue'. Browny points.
2) they project a seriously good attitude to the customer towards solving the said issue as obviously the customer is pissed by now with the goings on. More browny points and dissolving the immediate goof ups of theirs.
3)they can get off with the fiasco because there's almost no way and suspicion to prove that they have NOT changed the harness as 99%of the time nobody (read no customer) cross checks the "old" and "new" harness. And the current harness is also new to look at. How convenient. All the guys at ASS are hand-in-glove with it obviously.
4)if at all they manage to diagnose some electronic component like ECU or Fuel Pump or the likes, they just source it from their accidental "total loss" inventory yard and add it as warranty claim or some other bright idea. Because the real issue has to be solved in reality too.

Even after all this some ASS can't really pinpoint a real issue and then cross their fingers and give back the car hoping you don't find further fault. Well, if you do, they will cite some other reason next time and the story goes on. Might be some of this happened with your i20. Because, if indeed a wiring harness is at fault and is replaced with an original replacement part by a competent technician it will work like a clock. Just like the "factory fitted" one. Nothing to do with factory finish here.

The above is my observation and just wanted to share as per the situation. As I belong to the service industry. People might disagree and if so please excuse. Just my two-and-a-half cents. Cheers folks

Ride safe.
pixantz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 23:13   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post

I was in the market for a Jeep, but I have completely made up my mind NOT to go a Jeep after reading this. In fact, I will actively discourage people from buying a Jeep after this!
I wouldn’t rule out Jeep as a result of few breakdowns reported. Cars from every segment and manufacturer do suffer breakdown, I believe what is more important is the way dealer had the OP stranded on day 1. However later OP did report that Jeep has offered a loaner. At this segment, Jeep has done a commendable job with up facelift and selling consistently.
Point being, do shortlist the Jeep. Rule it out if competition suits your need and finances better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post

I think all said and done, Hyundai and Mahindra are doing a much better job at customer service than many others- and definitely a gazillion times better than Jeep. Easier to choose an SUV option from these and be in peace.
Not quite right. If you search the forum, you’ll definitely have same feedback for the said manufacturers

Anyway, happy shopping
Jangra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 23:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I experienced similar ordeal with brand new Meridian. Major lapses in PDI process. The worst part was @jeepIndia was just not worried about loosing reputation or helping.
This is really sad. Experiencing issues in brand new Jeep (reported by multiple customers on this forum). And then, the most popular magazine of India doesn't even mention few lines about "reliability" when comparing Jeep Meridian to Toyota Fortuner!!
Old 19th July 2022, 23:36   #97
BHPian

I canceled my Trailhawk booking because of longer waiting period and it not being great value for money in this market but I am pretty happy that I did it.
bordeaux is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 00:14   #98
BHPian

Vinit, at the outset felt extremely sorry and sad for the ordeal you have gone through. Nobody warrants such experience, even if it's a 3 lakhs car or 30 lakhs+. Being a Jeep owner, it gave me goosebumps thinking about it when I read your post today morning (and was then not sure what to write).

One experience that I have, though not connected to cars, but my home AC, is that if things go wrong, if it does not work even when you complain to the India subsidiary of a foreign business, better to write to their global business. For my AC, the company's India biz was not adequately responding when I faced a problem. Once I wrote an email to it's Japan headquarters (found out the CEO's email), things immediately fell into place. Not sure if this applies only for Japan; they are indeed great (thinking Toyota).

Question to all my TBhpian friends - can't we do this for cars? In this case, Jeep? Does anyone has contacts on manufacturers' head office/ CxOs of their global business whereabouts which can make a difference? That may then be altogether a separate reference post.
car-go is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 00:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
Many have suggested to give the car back and get full refund or a different car altogether. How does that work? Will they transfer the ownership to the Dealer? Is it common to get a full refund for a car?
That part is easier said than done and almost never happens.

If at all it happens, the car gets deregistered and goes back to the plant for R&D. The manufacturer and the dealer shares the loss.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 00:49   #100
BHPian

Sorry for the ordeal you have go though. But what is more horrible is dent in the confidence on the new car. In future you will think ten time before taking this car outside of RSA limit.

Pl. put pressure on them to replace this with brand new car.
Old 20th July 2022, 08:34   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
I wouldn’t rule out Jeep as a result of few breakdowns reported. Cars from every segment and manufacturer do suffer breakdown, I believe what is more important is the way dealer had the OP stranded on day 1. However later OP did report that Jeep has offered a loaner. At this segment, Jeep has done a commendable job with up facelift and selling consistently.
Point being, do shortlist the Jeep. Rule it out if competition suits your need and finances better.

Not quite right. If you search the forum, you’ll definitely have same feedback for the said manufacturers

Anyway, happy shopping

Not quite right - the advice you give to the prospective Jeep buyer! Posts like this give rise to doubt in the minds of forum members - whether there really are "fan boys" lurking on the forum pages. There certainly are lemons from every manufacturer, and one has to make allowance for them. But having it occur in the first week of ownership - and not once but twice!! That certainly raises a big cloud over the QC. But what really takes the cake is the abysmal "couldn't care less" attitude of the dealers (and manufacturers??).
shashanka is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Not quite right - the advice you give to the prospective Jeep buyer! Posts like this give rise to doubt in the minds of forum members - whether there really are "fan boys" lurking on the forum pages. There certainly are lemons from every manufacturer, and one has to make allowance for them. But having it occur in the first week of ownership - and not once but twice!! That certainly raises a big cloud over the QC. But what really takes the cake is the abysmal "couldn't care less" attitude of the dealers (and manufacturers??).
Have you heard of the bathtub curve? Any new item has a higher chance of failure and then the graph comes down and increase towards the end of its life.

Ever since I discovered that I am getting old (some 10 years ago) I resolved to buy only reliable cars for peace of mind. But with the choices available in the market, it is hard to find one that is reliable, safe and fun to drive. So you have to make compromises. I did end up buying a compass after 5 trouble-free years with a Ford Ecosport because there was no car available which ticked all the three boxes - reliable, safe and fun to drive. And I wasn't willing to compromise in the latter two and for the sake of reliability alone. That resolve automatically excluded all marutis and hyundais from the shopping list - which is like 80% of all cars in the Indian market.

Four years down the line, even with all the troubles I have had with my car, I feel that it is the best car yet that I have brought into my garage.

Does this make me a fanboy? You bet!
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post

Anyway, happy shopping
I too would like to disagree.

1) What Jeep did by offering as a post-facto is just a face saving exercise. No one can justify 2 breakdowns in the first week itself. Period!

2) The mental stress that our bro had to endure stuck on a crazy raining highway with his 2 small kids in tow waiting for help that was refused- this is also not justifiable by any stretch.

3) The RSA should be available the moment the customer takes the delivery of the vehicle and it leaves the showroom. This 48 hour window is just time -wasting tactics & not warranted.

The issue here is of confidence in the brand. As a brand, I'll happily trust M&M & Hyundai more than Jeep, and yes this is a MAJOR input for not just me but many others too.

Fuss-free & peaceful ownership is what I want. It was just for this reason that when I was in the market for a sedan, I felt madly in love with VW Vento Diesel Automatic, BUT avoided it because of DSG horror stories and went ahead with the supposedly lackluster (in comparison) Honda SV CVT which I have run for 80K Kms in past 6 years without any troubles whatsoever.

Jeep is costly, and peace of mind is priceless !
toofanwheels is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:52   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
Doesn't changing the entire wiring harness might cause electrical issues in future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I partly agree with you that changing the harness won't help anything. But it's not because of a "factory fitted" related issue. It's because, they won't really change it! They just SAY they will change it to cool things down.
It will depend on what all is being replaced. I don't think they are going to open up everything and change the complete harness. To me, it appears to be a case of a broken connection. This can be as simple as an open pin somewhere for this circuit. If a lot of things are to be opened, I will probably get just that connector changed if it's an option.

Quote:
Technically, in today's date, wiring harnesses are not built so bad that it malfunctions in such a short time.The only logical way a wiring harness can malfunction is because of a fire or then a short circuit or a mix of both or an accident which tears or shears up parts of the car and hence tears up the wiring in the affected places.
Right, but once in a while, something can go wrong. A hard or missing punch somewhere during manufacturing of wiring or even while assembly in car. All wirings are checked before release from the manufacturer.

Quote:
So why would the ASS claim to change it and be an angel?
They obviously cannot put an additional wire from the fuse box and connect the fuel pump on a brand new car As I suggested before, if they can pinpoint a fault in one of the wires only, if it's an option, replacing connectors may help, but not all manufacturers provide connectors. There's another shortcut, one can take out the pins from the old wiring and replace the connector, but it will all depend on the owner if he wants to accept. Some of the dealerships will do this without even highlighting it, but this case must be escalated, so no one wants to take a chance unless the owner himself approves.

Quote:
they can get off with the fiasco because there's almost no way and suspicion to prove that they have NOT changed the harness as 99%of the time nobody (read no customer) cross checks the "old" and "new" harness. And the current harness is also new to look at. How convenient. All the guys at ASS are hand-in-glove with it obviously.
That will be stretching too far. Landmark is a large group, and they won't touch new cars. Though there was a recent case of a tyre change that may have happened at a local level at the branch. Taking out wiring or sensors or something from a new car does not happen. The risks are too much and the rewards so little. Imagine the work one has to do in taking off all the wires and putting them back, and for what? Couple of thousands- No.

Quote:
if at all they manage to diagnose some electronic component like ECU or Fuel Pump or the likes, they just source it from their accidental "total loss" inventory yard and add it as warranty claim or some other bright idea.
Most of the components can be traced back to the exact day/ shift of manufacturing. All dealership claims are sent back to the OEM vendors, who will check the dates carefully. Once again, doing such practices can cause the dealership a big problem, and they won't do it (normally).

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th July 2022 at 09:53.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 10:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post

You read it right, the second time in the first week of owning the car, it has been towed away.
So sorry to hear that, and to be completely honest this is appalling service from Jeep. Reminds me of the time my father took delivery of his XUV300. Just 2 km from the showroom, at a signal, a freak Omni driver rammed into his car - on the delivery day itself! But the experience with Mahindra was stellar. They did the repairs quickly and delivered the vehicle as if it was a new one again.

This makes me think twice about purchasing a Jeep in the future. The compass is my dream car, but after hearing these stories makes me rethink!
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks