Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2004, 16:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Powerslave

I like your concern over folks buying a Cayenne but dude thats where it starts. One Cayenne came to bombay and no sooner did that happens you get to see atleast one different Cayenne everytime you town in Bombay. Why even I have seen three different Cayennes in the suburbs including Kandivali where I stay and thats even before Porsche arrives . So lets see once theyre officially here

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2004, 22:51   #17
BHPian

Hey GTO, I know these figures are skeptical, but look at it this way, when merc launched they were the first super expensive car in india..people of india has not started spending that kind of money on cars..now people have got use to it and believe me people who buy mercs have many other cars and wouldnt mind having another lux model(suv, sports car) in their stable..to get a porsche it was a hassle before, now that you would just have to go pick up the car and not worry about parts and service extra(Which you had to before) makes decision much simpler.

I know a friend whos dad is in defense dealings, you can imagine what kind of money they have, but they still stick with mercs and indian made cars and now they have expanded their stable with a lexus, his dad doesnt let him buy any sports car thinking, anyhting goes wrong with it, no service and parts will cause too much pain..so now that porsche will be in india and have some sort of service network in the major cities it would be much easier for him to get a porsche(with his dad's permission ofcourse )..so there you go and he is just one of the guys I know whos parents crib on this..

Also I think the cayenne has a V6 model not available in the US which is like 40k euros which comes down to like 45 lakhs in india with taxes and stuff no more than 50-52 lakhs..which I think is an easy spend for people who had been spending their money on lx470s and range rovers etc...or for that matter people who have 2 S class for no rhyme or reason..cars like these are only going to give people with money more options to spend and you are telling me that there wouldnt be 300 people in india who would spend this kind of money..??

brand awareness will automatically come since they will see these cars on the road..and in india wanting what the neighbor has is more important than knowing what the hell it is..

Cheers..
Old 2nd March 2004, 23:26   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

People in India buy a Prado/Landcruiser cos of Toyota's presence in India. Can be serviced at any Toyota dealer. A person buying a car worth 30+ lakhs will surely look at servicing/availability of spares too. Its obvious. Toyota spares are easily available in various accessories shops.

So i dont think that Porsche will sell in large numbers.
Old 3rd March 2004, 04:40   #19
BHPian

I am afraid I will have to disagree with you on that one, have you tried getting parts of parado and landcruiser with a regular toyota service center...an LS400 is nothing but a toyota right, just the badging is changed when it is brought into India...so getting parts easily should apply to this car as well..

but unfortunetly not..my friend screwed his hydrollic suspenssion on his LS400 and it was in the workshop for 6 months and still they couldnt get the parts for it or fix it..so i dont think toyotas service are all that much capable of handling anything more than a camry for now..

plus landcruiser is a 40+ lakh car, a padaro is 30+ lakhs as well..so y not porsche..

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2004, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ya CFS u have a point there .. I guess once Porsche sets up its service network it should be a boon to new and old Porsche owners. And I guess they will have service centres in Bombay and Delhi so customers from other cities could well easily aaquire parts I don think they will have to get dusty in the workshops. Anyways hope I am right..

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2004, 14:57   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey GTO, I know these figures are skeptical, but look at it this way, when merc launched they were the first super expensive car in india..people of india has not started spending that kind of money on cars..now people have got use to it
Mercedes Benz, after a decade of toiling, have settled at a reasonably pace simply for the one important motivator in most purchases - PRACTICALITY. Even if an E Class costs 40 odd lacs on the road in Bombay, it is a helluva practical car with seating for 5, can be chauffeur driven (a must for most 50 lac customers in india), diesel economy (trust me it matters even to E Class customers), higher ground clearance for Indian roads and the ability to take all the abuse that Indian roads can throw at it. A family friend bought the W124 in the late nineties in bombay and has to date completed almost 150,000 kms in the city and on the highway WITHOUT a single breakdown...and that includes a Bombay Delhi leisure drive by his son. Try taking a Porsche on the road to Delhi and you will be happy if it does not end up as the most expensive see-saw in the world on the first highway speedbreaker you encounter!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also I think the cayenne has a V6 model not available in the US which is like 40k euros which comes down to like 45 lakhs in india with taxes and stuff no more than 50-52 lakhs
The exchange rate is currently 55 rupees to one Euro. Think 40,000 odd Euros plus 100% import duties plus excise, sales and octroi duties. Add manufacturer and dealer profits to that equation and you will arrive at a much greater figure.

Let me put it another way, an E 220 CDI currently costs 31000 in europe. It retails for 43 lacs ex showroom mumbai - individual name. Add the 33% additional cost difference of the Cayenne and you arrive at 57 lacs in India (Thats a lot more than your estimate of 45 lacs). Butttttttttttttttttt Mercedes already has an assembly plant in Pune, has been in India for 10 years (thus has an extensive dealer and service network in place), imports its cars and assembles them here (SKD's) and enjoys relatively higher economies of scale!

Quite simply, Porsche in their right minds would not be looking at 300 odd cars a year or pricing Cayennes at 45 lacs.

GTO
Old 3rd March 2004, 16:07   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I am afraid I will have to disagree with you on that one, have you tried getting parts of parado and landcruiser with a regular toyota service center...an LS400 is nothing but a toyota right, just the badging is changed when it is brought into India...so getting parts easily should apply to this car as well..

but unfortunetly not..my friend screwed his hydrollic suspenssion on his LS400 and it was in the workshop for 6 months and still they couldnt get the parts for it or fix it..so i dont think toyotas service are all that much capable of handling anything more than a camry for now..

plus landcruiser is a 40+ lakh car, a padaro is 30+ lakhs as well..so y not porsche..

Cheers
hmmm.........Thats also there. But still Toyota's presence makes a lot of difference. Look at BMW. It is being sold in India thru 2 dealers. But still it isnt makin a single dent in MB sales.
Old 4th March 2004, 01:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Mar. 03 2004,01:27)]The exchange rate is currently 55 rupees to one Euro. Think 40,000 odd Euros plus 100% import duties plus excise, sales and octroi duties. Add manufacturer and dealer profits to that equation and you will arrive at a much greater figure.

Let me put it another way, an E 220 CDI currently costs 31000 in europe. It retails for 43 lacs ex showroom mumbai - individual name. Add the 33% additional cost difference of the Cayenne and you arrive at 57 lacs in India (Thats a lot more than your estimate of 45 lacs). Butttttttttttttttttt Mercedes already has an assembly plant in Pune, has been in India for 10 years (thus has an extensive dealer and service network in place), imports its cars and assembles them here (SKD's) and enjoys relatively higher economies of scale!

Quite simply, Porsche in their right minds would not be looking at 300 odd cars a year or pricing Cayennes at 45 lacs.

GTO

Are you sure in bbay you get this car on road for 43, cuz in delhi you sure as hell save 3 more lakhs..

my friend bought it for under 40, on road..forget ex-showroom..

so I think considering his buy price..and your base price on the E in europe..the math comes to..

(31 + add options)*110 = 34.5-35 lakhs..
40-34.5(avg) = 5.5/34.5 = 15% taxes and insurance..

so now put this in 40k Euro = (40*110 ) * 1.15 = right about 50 laks..

I mean this is all my speculation and interpretation..but ofcourse we will have to see..porsche might hit it, or lose it..but either way they should be atleast sell in 100s if they were to price the cars as we discussed them..i think..(in about first 15-18 months and there after every year)

Cheers

ps:- I could be wrong..but this is how i see it..and i think you can always negotiate with the dealer for a new car as well, if you know they put about 5 lakhs profit on S and about 2-3 in E..so there is scope for bargin i think..(not sure about the barghin bit, but quite sure about the margins)
Old 4th March 2004, 12:56   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A 30000 Euro E220 CDI sells for Rs.42,66,000 in bombay and thats from the company provided pricelist. Mind you this is in the individual name whereas a significant amount of E's roll out in company registrations.

Discounts are all but secondary, you cannot account for them in your product planning for a country as it all depends on how much the dealer is willing to compromise on his margin to get a new customer.

GTO
Old 7th March 2004, 15:39   #25
BHPian

rehaan : are you seriously getting a Carrera GT? If so can i please come and drive it once ;-) if ur in India
Old 7th March 2004, 22:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ya Rehaans GT is team bhps GT

Anyone who wants to drive drive can just take it from Rehaans garage. We'll all have duplicate keys for the car

Cheers
Old 8th March 2004, 01:47   #27
Team-BHP Support

Hahahah... GrimReaper....u made my day man ;-]

Dippy, ive asked porsche to send 81 duplicate keys (currently 81 TBHP members), however they have said that they will send the "valet keys" so that means you wont be able to open the glovebox or the boot.....sorry about that guys...

delivery is expected in may 2028. (provided i can come up with the funds)

cheers ;-]
Old 8th March 2004, 01:49   #28
Team-BHP Support

oh..and grimreaper..what kind of a guy are you to say "if its in india".....if ur getting a chance to drive a carrera GT u should be willing to go anywhere!! ;-]
Old 8th March 2004, 02:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Grim Reaper Rehaan is there to sponsor all of us. and look hes giving us duplicate keys .. cant open the boot and glovebox but what the heck so long as we can drive it.... hehehehe

Cheers
Old 10th May 2004, 22:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to porsche i dont know if it wud do as well besides the cayenne,
and the 911 i dont think can sell 20 cars... cuz it's even got a competetion from SL500! And a lot wud buy the later due to dealer network...

But i think the cayenne is doin good they've pulled abt 12 cars already and have 4 ready with em'
My dad wants to trade the E for a Cayenne but being an Anti-SUV person id not permit it

but on the whole i think exclusive motors is in real bright future... maybe they'd now look at ferrari? or lamborghini? or RR?

and rehaan 280 keys please!

Most Viewed